• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

the dumbest thing ever...

Jun 7, 2005
Kansas
the dumbest thing ever...

man i don't wanna get flamed too much for this but i deserve a little, first of all when deciding to get back on ladder i made a list of the low runewords to shoot for. deciding that spirit sword and insight pole arm were the first things on my list. to that end i picked up a white crystal sword to have larzuk socket (wait for it) so that if i picked up an amn i'd just socket it and be good to go. i got extremely lucky in normal climbing up the mountain in act 5 and got my amn. i rush to larzuk to have him socket and poof 6 socket crystal, CRAP. well i still got my amn so i'll just find a long sword(the one that will get 4 w/larzuk). got extremely lucky and in blood moor in nm got a 4 os long sword off the ground. meanwhile, im runing around doin baal runs and etc. and find a 4 os brandistock. great if i get sol i got an insight. wouldnt you know nm hellforge got me a sol...brandistock is a spear. double crap. so the moral is check b4 you socket runewords.

help me feel better by posting the dumbest things you've done whether it's on the new ladder or anywhere else.

ArcOlixter

Oct 14, 2004
Outside the Beltway
crawlingdeadman said:
help me feel better by posting the dumbest things you've done whether it's on the new ladder or anywhere else.
I accidentally crafted a crappy pair of blood gloves with a poison facet. Which in hindsight doesn't bother me as much now that ladder reset.

Jun 7, 2005
Kansas
sheepe2004 said:
I got a longsword somewhere in early normal, got it socketed by larzuk for 3 sockets :(

see this is weird, i've always thought that lazuk gave max (wich doesn't help my story any) on everything. ive never gotten less that the max sockets on a white or grey item. when i got on the last ladder in the middle of the season i got a long sword socketed w/4 from him, idk. has anyone else gotten less than max (guess im hijacking my own thread to ask)

stories first larzuk second

ArcOlixter

Oct 14, 2004
Outside the Beltway
crawlingdeadman said:
see this is weird, i've always thought that lazuk gave max (wich doesn't help my story any) on everything.
He gives max depending on the ilvl of the item. If you can remember where you found the item, you can estimate the ilvl range. I'm sure somebody can post a link to the data tables.

mxxerr

Dec 26, 2004
I was in nm Tower. Couness dropped a Amn, and I saw there was a 4os Coldpill (or whatever the name was), I picked it up and put 4 runes into it. but it didnot turned into Spirt. :eek: Darn. I forgot this was not a sword. :mad:

capnlarge

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
With the exception of magic items, which get either 1 or 2 sockets, Larzuk only gives the maximum number of sockets for a particular item. For unique or rare items that's one, but for white items it depends on the item type. Note that items found in hell often have a higher max socket count than those found in nightmare or normal.

As for dumb things? A few times I've accidentally misplaced stat points, and I almost crafted with a 35 ed/10 min jewel. I've lost some items while muling unsafely.

letosan

Aug 2, 2005
Missouri
I accidentally sold a Gheeds:( The thing that was the worst was it was not available for me to buy back either lol.

I have always had issues with Laz, I think he should give you a range of sockets from 1 to the max on the item (be it one or two or more) If he is rewarding me, shouldn't I be able to ask for something specific? Lol.

I guess to be fair, the free rings you get in one and three, along with the free item from anya, and the enchant from charsi all kinda suck, but still... I actually got a great ring from Oromus on my brand new ladder char, turns out, when you have nothing, a cheap rare is still pretty good.

crawlingdeadman said:
man i don't wanna get flamed too much for this but i deserve a little, first of all when deciding to get back on ladder i made a list of the low runewords to shoot for. deciding that spirit sword and insight pole arm were the first things on my list. to that end i picked up a white crystal sword to have larzuk socket (wait for it) so that if i picked up an amn i'd just socket it and be good to go. i got extremely lucky in normal climbing up the mountain in act 5 and got my amn. i rush to larzuk to have him socket and poof 6 socket crystal, CRAP. well i still got my amn so i'll just find a long sword(the one that will get 4 w/larzuk). got extremely lucky and in blood moor in nm got a 4 os long sword off the ground. meanwhile, im runing around doin baal runs and etc. and find a 4 os brandistock. great if i get sol i got an insight. wouldnt you know nm hellforge got me a sol...brandistock is a spear. double crap. so the moral is check b4 you socket runewords.

A few weeks ago while transferring I noticed the game was getting funny slow. You know when you're about to get a --connection interrupted message-- ? I disregarded all signs and dropped three (3) newly traded for 20/17 charms (cost me 5 HRs/each) to transfer from the character I used for trading to my sorc. My sorc never made it back to that game and the game didn't reset. 3 x 20/17s POOFED. Pizza was first to hear my tearful cries.

Also on the same week, instead of having Larzuk socket my Stormshield I sold it to him. Wasn't there for sale when I tried to recover it.

buttershug

Feb 13, 2005
Centre of known civilization
Sometimes if I'm moving stuff around I have one item on the mouse pointer and click on the item in the inventory. Normally they switch places.
not if the item in the inventory is socketed and you have a socketable item on the mouse pointer.

Kor

Mar 25, 2005
crawlingdeadman said:

I iron golem'd my P hoto.

Sold my near Perf doom zerk in gamble screen.

Traded Eth eternity and P bramble for 40 sojs, then 32 poofed.

Dropped my eth botd cb 402% in a game to show off, but lagged & it got stolen.

Was dueling with tele ww barb, got too intense and unaware, opened up inventory and dropped eth zod arreats 5% from P def. The assn then took it but at least I stole his coins. (woohoo..)

and finally......

Was baalling, IK armor dropped. I picked it up, then threw it back down. Some new barb grabbed it, thanked me dearly, and made friends with me. 2 days later he steals my xfer (full aldurs LOL)

slam

Jun 22, 2003
NH, USA
i gave my best ever find at the time, schaeffer's hammer, to my brother. never saw it again, and he won't admit what happened to it.

Freezing Rain

May 25, 2005
buttershug said:
Sometimes if I'm moving stuff around I have one item on the mouse pointer and click on the item in the inventory. Normally they switch places.
not if the item in the inventory is socketed and you have a socketable item on the mouse pointer.
And this my friends is how i came to waste an ist rune on a +2/1os Heavens redeemer.

Also, You are looking at the guy who double ptopaz'd an alibaba, almost zod'd eth skullders, and attempted to trade for an ethereal phase blade.

Sechler

Aug 1, 2005
Tha Luv Boat
A buddy of mine spent 2 months getting the ingredients for botd thundermaul. He finally got there with a bunch of help from all our friends. It came down to go time...he's gonna make it. We filled up a private game to watch him make it, and he got jumpy moving his runes in his stash and dropped his zod on top of the 6os Th. Maul by accident. 6 out of the 7 of us spectators typed ROFL at the exact time when he typed what he had done. (for those of u that don't know the formula.....zod is not the first rune)

I was transferring items in a game I called appropriately "transferring1". Well, after a couple beers and a long night of gaming, I didn't make a friggin password. A strange barb popped into my game and took my IK helm, armor, gloves, belt and boots. He didn't take the maul because he didn't have room. The worst part of it was that I had a full guy in the game at that moment when he popped in, and i would have had to drop something good to stop him. I just had to sit back and watch him rape me. It was miserable...lol.

Freezing Rain

May 25, 2005
Sechler said:
A buddy of mine spent 2 months getting the ingredients for botd thundermaul. He finally got there with a bunch of help from all our friends. It came down to go time...he's gonna make it. We filled up a private game to watch him make it, and he got jumpy moving his runes in his stash and dropped his zod on top of the 6os Th. Maul by accident. 6 out of the 7 of us spectators typed ROFL at the exact time when he typed what he had done. (for those of u that don't know the formula.....zod is not the first rune)

I was transferring items in a game I called appropriately "transferring1". Well, after a couple beers and a long night of gaming, I didn't make a friggin password. A strange barb popped into my game and took my IK helm, armor, gloves, belt and boots. He didn't take the maul because he didn't have room. The worst part of it was that I had a full guy in the game at that moment when he popped in, and i would have had to drop something good to stop him. I just had to sit back and watch him rape me. It was miserable...lol.

First few days of d2 i made a game called xfer1/1 and someone came in and i just stared at him and said 'loser' for a while.

dantheman5415

Jul 21, 2003
My computer...duh...
Visit site
Wanna hear something dumb?

I was making my first CoH about 3 weeks ago...I had all the runes, and a nice Sup Scarab Husk....

I opened Arreats Summit Runeword page, and memorized rune combo...

Then as I was making the runeword..I didn't think and accidentally switched Um and Ist rune..Now if I had stopped as soon as I messed up, I would have only wasted an Ist, but i didn't :( and I wasted Um and Ber too