• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

steal account

abusius

Aug 11, 2005
France
steal account

Hi all
i want to understand how someone can change my password on my account ...& what can i do against that cheater/robber.
I m very angry of that... all that for stolen items ? thats just a game...so why?

Diab

Jun 22, 2003
Visit site
When did this happen? I know blizzard just recently closed a lot of accounts mostly for using a new maphack. And I also know that usually, this process of "closing" accounts just involves them changing the password to it, so that may be the case with yours.

Orphan

May 23, 2004
There's a few common ways for people to guess the password of an account:

third party programs
Third party programs are known to come with keyloggers and other malicious software. These software are able to give your passwords to most anything out to most anyone. It's generally better to avoid using these programs, as they aren't needed to play the game anyway. The only somewhat justifiable reason to use them is if the game is really hard for you, and if that's the case, a different game might be more your style (this is not directed at abusius, but rather people who use third party programs).

Scams
These are mostly along the lines of "type /dnd account password" or something. Never give out your password on battle.net. No-one will ever legally ask for it (including Blizzard employees).

Easy to guess passwords
Always make sure your passwords are difficult to guess, and are in no way related to your account name. Having an account name "Sephiroth", and a password "FinalFantasy" is a sure way to lose your account.

zVp

Jul 5, 2005
Canada
OMglollerskates said:
blizzard changed everyones password then took their cd keys so that is prob it

Unless you have some sufficient backing information, don't bother posting such accusations. Just ask yourself, if you were a huge gaming corporation, would you change thousands of accounts and "steal" their cd keys?

azngeekguy

Jul 9, 2005
zVp said:
They disabled their accounts and restricted the respective cd-keys.

wat they did was really screw us over...anyone bitter go to bnet technical support forum and help us make a war

Orphan

May 23, 2004
Why? My accounts all seem fine. I would imagine people who dont' use any third party programs did not lose their accounts.

Shaven Monkee

May 27, 2005
On your back!
I personally have never used a hack and don't pitter cheaters.

If they wanna cheat, they take the risk of getting caught and when they do I hope it burns and burns enough that they stop playing. Rid us of their kind.

Anyhow, I have an incident I would like to share.

I logged into a game , one of the idiots in the game, said "key log" and said he was gonna steal my account.

I was like "w/e" and challenged them to a duel (I logged in with my lvl 9 TS sin).

Now, common sense tells me that this pud would hafta have me download a trojan on my system that he had control of before he could do anything like that.

I am only curious, from a security point of view, are there any programs that would allow someone to do that? I mean, steal info w/o the target being infected with the software?