• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Starting Smiter....plz help

snoopee

Aug 13, 2005
Canada
Starting Smiter....plz help

Im just starting a Smiter Palli (my first) and would like to ask for some advice. I've been reading up on several builds but most of them are for pvp. I would like to use this palli 4 uber tristram runs solo in NL.

I have the ff: equipment available:

Armour - Fort (perfect 30 res !)
Weapon - Grief (Axe - this was 4 my WW barb)
Shield - Spirit Vortex (with 73% res on 3 of them) - I'll also try to get a HOZ
Helm - Guillames (just found it 2 days ago!), Umed Shako
Gloves - Dracs/Trangs/SoulDrainer
Boots - Marrow/War travs/Sandstorm/Waterwalks
Belt - Arachnid
Rings - RavenFrost/BK/Natures Peace
Ammy - Highlords/Seraph Hymn

I have life charms but not so much res charms. No Pcombat GC since this is my first palli build, but I can trade some of my other chars GC to get more PCGC Skillers.

Thanks 4 the help.

HeavAngel

Paladin Moderator
Jun 22, 2003
Heaven Just Past The Stars
Visit site

snoopee

Aug 13, 2005
Canada
Thanks HeavAngel.

My palli is now lvl 74 and have maxed Smite,HS and Fanat. I was also able to get a hold of an Eth Exile. This has lvl 15 defiance, my question for this would be, should I still put points on my defiance skill to max out the synergy for HS? or should I invest in some other skills since the shield already have defiance?

I also noticed that eventhough I use smite during my runs, the durability on the zerker axe goes down and I constantly need to repair it, why is this so? I'm using shield to smite right?

Thanks in advance.

dkay

Jul 31, 2003
HB, California
dont max defience, its a waste of points imo.

you can TRY maxing foh + convic but that'll require super high levels.

you can invest the rest into resist cold/fire/lightning (this is what i did) so that you slap on the aura and bam, 85 resist instantly with super stacked resist too. elementals become a joke to you.

or you can slap points into charge.

or you can slap points into prayer.

but id ont recoomend defience.

FreezerBurn

Banned
Dec 16, 2004
Texas
i wouldn't say defiance is a waste at all. you won't actually use the aura fighting the ubers, but it's a synergy for holy shield, so it's well worth the investment.

i'd try to trade your fort for a CoH. It does quite a bit more damage than fort and has better resists. I'd also try to get an HoZ. Other than that, here's what I use. I just built a smiter for the same reason and I kill all three in under 30 seconds.

Um'd Guillaume's
Grief Zerker
CoH
Maras
Um'd HoZ
Dracs
Ravenfrost
Verdungos
BK ring
Gore Riders

CTA and Spirit on switch

You'll want as much resist as possible to counter meph's lower resist. I use an anni, pally torch and a other resist charms for around 275 all resists.

i also use a combat charm and a few offensive aura charms and some 20 life small charms.

snoopee

Aug 13, 2005
Canada
dkay, thx for the response, you also have a point there since I am already using exile.

FreezerBurn, I did see your post in another thread and was going to aask you the build you had, thx for the post.

I do have a Umed Hoz but has only 177 ed. Since I already started putting points into defiance then I will go ahead and use this. I'll also stick with my fort for now.

So based on your equipment list, I still need the ff:

-Maras (I heard that u can use Highlord in place of Mara)
-Verdungos (Comparing this with Arachnid, I can see why Verdungo is better for this build)
-Gore Riders

I am also lacking at the charms department, since this is my first Uber tristram run I am hoping to get a palli torch out of this. Also need to trade for some Pcombat GC.

My friend is building an elemntal druid as a backup to my smiter. I need to have him use my Marrowwalks for extra Life tap, just in case mine doesnt go off in time.

Can I not switch from Fanat aura to Salvation for meph? I heard that I will be sacrificing the synergy to do more dmg in place of higher resist.

Thanks.

warraxgunners

Aug 3, 2005
snoopee said:
Im just starting a Smiter Palli (my first) and would like to ask for some advice. I've been reading up on several builds but most of them are for pvp. I would like to use this palli 4 uber tristram runs solo in NL.

Belt - Arachnid

I have life charms but not so much res charms. No Pcombat GC since this is my first palli build, but I can trade some of my other chars GC to get more PCGC Skillers.

Thanks 4 the help.

Where did you get all those nuce gears so fast when the new ladder just resetted less than 2 weeks ?

Can share where you do your mf-ing and wat's your mf % ?

warraxgunners

Aug 3, 2005
snoopee said:

Belt - Arachnid

Thanks 4 the help.

Where did you get all those nice gears so fast when the new ladder just resetted less than 2 weeks ?

snoopee

Aug 13, 2005
Canada
warraxgunners said:
Where did you get all those nice gears so fast when the new ladder just resetted less than 2 weeks ?

Oh, this is non-ladder. I hurried getting these items in ladder just before the reset.
"I would like to use this palli 4 uber tristram runs solo in NL."

If you still need that advice, I had 400+ mf on my nec and IK barb. Found Ists runes on tower runs dropped by plain monsters always in lvl 2. and Pul by countess.
Andy and Meph runs are my fav for uniques.
All of them from hell runs.
Hope this helps.

FreezerBurn

Banned
Dec 16, 2004
Texas
i wouldn't worry too much about the ED on your hoz. the first time i killed them, i trasferred my upped 190 HoZ from my hammerdin. The second time i used a 174 non upped and it didn't seem to make a difference. you could probably even use a pdiamond HoZ if you don't want to use an um.

highlord should work. the IAS is nice. i like maras for the resists.

the pcombat, offensive aura and torch were probably a little overkill. i wouldn't sweat it too much. your biggest priority in my opinion is getting your resists up, especially if you use fort instead of CoH. between equipment and charms, i'd try to get at least +250 points to all. (also, with fort, you're doing about 25% less damage than with CoH, which means less life through life tap, which means a better chance of death. unless you're planning on using it for a different build i'd trade it while demand is high. you could probably get a good CoH plus runes for it.)

with both dracs and grief your life tap should kick in almost instantly. but load up on full rejuves just in case. i drank a couple before it came on, but once it did i just had to stay locked in on one of the ubers to stay alive.

if you solo it, i'd recommend creeping up slowly to avoid getting swarmed. as soon as you see one of the three, name lock on him until he's dead then jump to the next one as quick as you can. i'd ignore the minions.

also, the reason i say to max defiance is if you're soloing you won't be able to use a resist aura. you'll need to keep fanaticism on or else you won't do enough damage.

rampageroar

Aug 16, 2005
Ontario, Canada
=/

k, heres the thing, coh is better than fort, cause fort has junky resists and if u want to kill ubers you need the best resists possible (200+) my smiter uses kiras guardian rather than guillames, just because i find guillames terribly unimpressive. coh is the best choice for armor, and much cheaper than fort. and i highly recommend maxing defiance, its a synergy to holy shield, so you do NOT actually have the aura equipped, and exile does NOT add points to this synergy. defiance basically passively enhances your defence when you are using holy shield. believe it or not, the ubers DO melee, and when they do.. if you have 28k defence, they arent going to hit you, opposed to having not maxed defiance, which might leave u around 18k(check)? much better chance of them smashing your face in :)... but other than that your setup looks good, make sure you have enough vitality (350-450 is good bet) so they wont kill you in 1 hit (5-6 bo cta is an obvious bonus). I'd also like to point out that grief is REALLY nice, but i find that kingslayer is nicer for my smiter because of the good cb and ow. although, seeing as your as rich as ali baba, an even better bet than grief is last wish ($$expensive$$). but i would definitley suggest switching from fort to coh.

Bigrob

Banned
May 20, 2005
????
-mara is better than highlord on smiter.

-use 10cb 20ias dual res craft glove, marrowalk can provide the lifetap.

-u need amp charge wand on switch.

-try to get an um'd hoz, u will need the res from it.

-use tgod on verdungo rather than spider.

-use kingslayer pb instead of grief if u dont wish to equip gullimace. The more cb u get, the faster the bosses go down.

-duress will be better than fort in pvm.

-try to get more resist charms, or else use kira instead of guillmace when against uber meph.

-switch bk ring to a decent rare duel res ring, or wisp.

-put a point in salvation just to be safe when u need it.

-try to get the highest light res u can get.

valentino

Jun 10, 2004
My Ubers smiter setup

- Guilaume (No rune, maybe Um is better)
- 30 Mara's
- Mageplate Enigma
- Heavenlight (2 Shael'd)
- HoZ (upgraded, Um)
- 20 DEX Ravenfrost
- Rare 7LL, 15 DEX, 38 Life, Light & Fire Resist.
- 10LL, 15STR Draculs Glove (For life tap)
- Gore Rider (Upgraded)
- Thundergod Belt

I kill uber diablo and baal with no problem with fana on but,
I use salvation for tanking memphisto, still fast to kill him, Crushing blow help alot (I use ~30 sec* to kill him, my resist is not max under conviction)
*5 ppl game while others keep dying :p

Got zon torch 16/16 ... not bad

Life tap, Crushing blow (83%), Salvation (just 1 point)
Tips - Dont die in this game.. cuz you may not able to pick your body back.

Hope this help. :thumbsup:

rampageroar

Aug 16, 2005
Ontario, Canada
=)

ok-- I've already posted but ill give you my smiter setup because i just solo'd ubers with my lvl 74 smiter:
Helm: um'd kira's (guillames just sucks, i used itfor the first little bit and had to chicken quit the game and rejoin&put on my kira's... because, once again, guillaumes sucks :))
Ammy:Highlords (use highlords or maras, i prefer highlords cause of the ias, personal preference)
Weapon: Grief
Shield: Eexile (I would recommend hoz like the other posers.. but ubers melee as well as cast, there are also aracher and stuff shooting at u so i find the defence helps a buttload)
Armor: coh, no negoatiations, best smiter armor for uber pwnage
Boots: gores (also you can use up'd goblintoe's, the cb on them is pretty incredible)
Gloves:dracs, im hearing all this chatter about 20ias/res gloves, im lost as to why this is more important than life tap, 15 strength, and 25% open wounds
Rings: 2 bk rings (i use these because kira's has cannot be frozen, so if ur using guillaumes, use a raven frost)

Switch CTA and spirit, im using a 4bo cta, god forbid i dont have 6bo, cause that 40 extra life REALLY makes a difference for the 3 sojs extra cost :lol: :rolleyes: !

again lvl 74 pwnt ubers solo, no deaths, and only with 1.8k life

k/t

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Reading this gives me hope of being able to kill them with my new Ladder Smiter, currently level 1. Hehe.

Of course, I don't have any of these items yet, except for Goblin Toe, and I'll probably be using a Black Scourge, but...one can dream. I do have a wand with Life Tap charges, though. Is Dracul's really mandatory then?

Edit: What does "ff" mean?

snoopee

Aug 13, 2005
Canada
Thanks for all your response guys, very helpful, IMO, all of your gears will work, its just a matter of personal preference and how they are combined. Just an observation with a test I did last night in Hell Cows using my Smiter. I used Dracs/Umd Hoz with Smite. It takes forever for the Life Tap to kick in, of course, it's 5%. Now, I had better luck using Exile in place of the Umd HoZ and changed my gloves to laying of hands for the IAS and other mods and vioala!, I get life tap everytime I needed it!, but looking at the Dmg... its really lower.
I'm still looking an eye out for a decent CoH but wanted to keep my Fort. I do have a decent 4 soc armour and I still need Ber and Um to complete the runeword, plus another Um for the Guillames. I heard that Coh go for 3-5 hi runes (sorry HeavAngel Im very new to NL and have no idea of prices)

Was able to get these items:
-20 Maras
-Tgods
-Weapon Switch : CTA and Spirit
Still looking for Gore Riders, but can I think treks and Marrows can do the trick?

Kiras! man that will be nice if I can get that, but its sooo pricey! It's a ladder only unique! It was expensive in Ladder and it will be crazy price for NL, can you sa Hi to the nth power?
I aint that rich nomore, got broke before ladder reset just to get all the stuff I have right now and get rid of any hi rune dupes that i might have , only to find out that NL prices are way overboard.

I'll try and see if I can do the Uber tonight, just need to get my butt into it and finish act3 and 4. I'll let ya all know what happens!

k/t = ff: = following

Cheers!

garion

Apr 8, 2005
San Francisco
snoopee said:
Kiras! man that will be nice if I can get that, but its sooo pricey! It's a ladder only unique! It was expensive in Ladder and it will be crazy price for NL, can you sa Hi to the nth power?

I dont think kiras were that expensive on ladder (end of season 2)...around a decent vipermagi or skullders for a decent kiras....but of course i have no idea how much they are on N/L though...but you might be able to get one cheap as most people prefer other helms for PvM and PvP

snoopee

Aug 13, 2005
Canada
Results after 3 Uber

Whoa, what a night it was. I decided to do this with a friend (wind druid) just in case my LT dont activate and that I won't loose the game when I die and rejoin. I lend him my Marrowwalks for the LT.
First setup:
Guillames (plain)
Fort
Zerker Grief
Umd HoZ
Tgods
Dracs
20 Mara
Ravenfrost
BK
Treks
WS : CTA and Spirit (I didnt need this since my friend has a higher bo and bc)
Mostly Life Charms, a bit of res charms

Entered portal, found Meph first in between 2 buildings (actually he jumped on us beside the portal) had named lock and as expected Life tap didnt kick in early so I had to use potions and my res went down...reallly down....my friend was lagging so he died from the archers....when Meph was almost about to die, Life tap went away and I died, rejoined game and changed equip to Umd Shako and Exile for LT. Went in alone...name locked meph..stupid archers were in the way, couldnt see much since Meph was covered by other building...died (low res). Rejoined, kept Umd shako and used HoZ, got to Meph and after approx a minute he is dead. Wouldve been faster with an Umd Guillames. Just right after Meph died, Baal jumped on us and my friend died...good thing my Dracs LT kicked in and Baal died approx in under a minute. Had to call on my friend back to kill stupid physical immune monsters before facing Diablo. Circled around Tristram and found D in the middle near cage where Cain used to be. Name locked him and my friend was able to cast LT (finally). This was funny coz I cant see my palli , he was somewhere in the middle swarmed by Pit lords and Diablo, all I can see is D's hlth going down and mine is still hodling at full. Killed D in under a minute and what did I get...... a 3/20/20 Sorc torch...woot! perfect, but wouldve been awesome if it was palli!

Final Gear:

Umd Shako (Umd Guillames wouldve also worked)
Fort
Zerker Grief
Umd HoZ
Tgods
Dracs
20 Mara
Ravenfrost
BK
Treks

The biggest factor in my game was resist and life tap. You guys were not exaggerating when u said get 200+ res. Im now working towards at getting a CoH for added res and is looking for keys again.....

Even with my friends 5k dmg this was just being shrugged off by the minions, so the truth is ...Smiter really rocks vs 3 ubers!

Thanks all, it was fun doing this..... :)