• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Speaking of cheating...

ToadKiller

Jun 23, 2003
Limbo, CA
Visit site
Speaking of cheating...

Where's the line?

Is it cheating if I rush you? Cheating for who? I feel good because I've helped you.

Are you cheating yourself? Only if you never played D2 before--in which case you wouldn't know to ask for a rush.

How about if I "twink" you with gear? Is that cheating? Is it less cheating if I only "twink" my own characters? Is it the same?

Just (for instance) if I give my friend the Arctic Set for his new bowazon, is that cheating? This is on the new ladder. I have the whole set: did you start with the whole set? No.

Should I tell my friend to f'off, earn it yourself?

No. If you're my friend I'll help you any way I can. Even if you used Maphack.

TK

Cooked

Jul 2, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
It is not cheating if one uses things designed by Blizzard such as trading or sharing gear. Helping other people quest and level is also encouraged. Using third party programs that alter the game is cheating, no matter how fun or helpful that hack might be.

Sechler

Aug 1, 2005
Tha Luv Boat
So all these legit players are sayin that when they joined a lightning fast Baal run chain of games they would instantly leave as soon as they found out how fast they were going. Obviously, if the runner is making it to the Throne in less than a minute they are using MH. It is impossible to consistently find the throne quickly game after game w/o MH. I use MH from time to time, but I hate pickit, dupers and bots. So i agree with alot of what being said on the forum right now.
But for hipocracy's sake I ask again, do all of these so-called absolutely legit players leave Baal runs when they are obviously being lead by a MH runner? I guarantee they don't and aren't they cheating too if they don't?

ToadKiller

Jun 23, 2003
Limbo, CA
Visit site
Cooked said:
It is not cheating if one uses things designed by Blizzard such as trading or sharing gear

That's not true. Blizzard made Pindle. Rather than "fix" Pindle, they made it so if you make too many games too quickly, you'll be banned.

TK

Dawnmaster

Apr 23, 2004
Belgium
Sechler said:
So all these legit players are sayin that when they joined a lightning fast Baal run chain of games they would instantly leave as soon as they found out how fast they were going. Obviously, if the runner is making it to the Throne in less than a minute they are using MH. It is impossible to consistently find the throne quickly game after game w/o MH. I use MH from time to time, but I hate pickit, dupers and bots. So i agree with alot of what being said on the forum right now.
But for hipocracy's sake I ask again, do all of these so-called absolutely legit players leave Baal runs when they are obviously being lead by a MH runner? I guarantee they don't and aren't they cheating too if they don't?

They're leaded indirectly (I'd sign for a group that either runs to baal together or has a teleing sorc that doesn't use MH)

Still, you're making a wrong assumption here. If you use MH to mf, you have a huge advantage (worked out some numbers a while ago, it is a huge difference, more than you think) if you use MH in duels, it can make a difference. MH in hardcore? You never die, you know where everything is, etc... Just a pubby game, doesn't matter which one you enter, a noob comes up, I see you're wearing blablabla, I need that, gimme gimme gimme. Also in cowruns, MH allows you to view the number of sockets on an item, other players have to be able to pick it up, open their inventory and look if it's eth or socketed and howmany sockets. MH allows people to see the iLvl of items, where normal people have to fight in the right area and search the right monsters to get the right iLvl.

Should I go on?

ian_linington

Nov 24, 2003
Surrey, England
Visit site
ToadKiller said:
Go on. I never knew.

TK

How about shrines... a MH user can see the XP ones a mile off where everyone else has to search for them.

Being able to see runes as a different colour rather than trying to sort them out from all the other white items.

And don't even get me started on pickit :rant: :rant:

Dawnmaster

Apr 23, 2004
Belgium
ToadKiller said:
Why? That seems silly.

TK

If a childraper applies for a job at your company, you legally aren't allowed to deny him the job for that, yet, will you give him one?

And on the second part, if a burglar comes into your house, are you just gonna sit in your seat, watching him empty your house, offering him a drink? Or are you you gonna take the first knife or bat you find and hit him until he doesn't move anymore?

Shlongor

Oct 5, 2003
I hardly think you can compare someone who uses a clientside cheat in a multiplayer game to someone who molests children. . . but hey, who cares about logic anyway?

Dawnmaster

Apr 23, 2004
Belgium
Shlongor said:
I hardly think you can compare someone who uses a clientside cheat in a multiplayer game to someone who molests children. . . but hey, who cares about logic anyway?

I always use extreme examples (check out my previous 1800+ posts :D )

I learned it's the best way to get through to someone :thumbsup:µ

EDIT: btw, cheating via third party programs in an online computergame may seem stupid, but legally, Blizzard can sue your *** for it (you won't get as many time as a child molester, but still...)

CookiesnCream

Jan 29, 2004
Sechler said:
It is impossible to consistently find the throne quickly game after game w/o MH.

And you can prove this? From what I've seen, there are tons of players that can....... And having maphack is a big advantage over legit players, especially if you're in hardcore.

Iconoclast

Aug 2, 2005
Stanford University
A more interesting question is, "where's the line for Blizzard?"

Most ppl think that the detection system is based on a call from the server to the client: "Does the computer running this instance of Diablo have xxxxx.dll installed somewhere on the client computer?" If so, it's using something we don't like, ban CD key and close account.

So the question becomes, does Blizz (or MS or Apple or any software maker) have a right to check out your computer for programs/DLLs/exe's that *are not part of their software?*

Think about that a bit before you answer...this is the 1984 scenario.

Shlongor

Oct 5, 2003
Ummm wtf? They can sue the creators of cheat programs or the sites that distribute them, but they can't do **** legally against some yahoo who straps on a maphack.