• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Socketing Rune Master for Frenzy build

Earl Grey

Apr 12, 2005
Socketing Rune Master for Frenzy build

My Frenzy barb [L SC] has just acquired a good Rune Master axe. I plan on getting a Small Crescent type axe with the Oath runeword (+50 IAS etc) for his left hand.

What do you suggest I put in the five sockets that the Rune Master has? Probably a few Shael's, but what else? Forget about things like Ohm (+50% ed) because that's far too expensive for this.

Rune Master (Ettin Axe)
One-Hand Damage: 119 To 238 (178.5 Avg)
Required Level: 72
Required Strength: 145
Required Dexterity: 45
Durability: 24
Weapon Speed: [10]
+261% Enhanced Damage
+5% To Maximum Cold Resist
Cannot Be Frozen
Socketed (5)

windwingwind

Aug 2, 2005
Hey Grey,

5x Ptopaz and mf for us till our team all get rich :clap:

Ok, dont kick me out pls :rolleyes:

IMHO, u better decide on other equipment u r gonna use first cos the amount of ias on them affect how many sheal u r gonna put into ur axe. And what is ur desirable fpa as well.

I grabbed ur weapons set up and playing around with the weapon speed calculator (which i'm not sure I'm doing correctly :p) I figured out you need 56% ias more to get 6fpa, 89% for 5.5fpa.

Assuming some 40% ias on ur other equip i will go for a sheal, a mid %ed/ias jewel, a single resist/ias jewel, rare jewel with %ed/+dmg/resist.....and then a p-skull maybe (can't squeeze more out of my little brain, damn why u get a 5-socketed one) i think no LL on oath.

uzurpator

Jun 25, 2003
It depends on what is the rest of your gear and what fpa you aim for. Also - it _strongly_ depends if you consider it your final weapon or not.

I personally would go for 3x eth, shael and a tal/um/mal - to get sure shot, some ias and pmh of some sort

Earl Grey

Apr 12, 2005
Thanks for both your replies! :)

uzurpator said:
It depends on what is the rest of your gear and what fpa you aim for. Also - it _strongly_ depends if you consider it your final weapon or not.

I personally would go for 3x eth, shael and a tal/um/mal - to get sure shot, some ias and pmh of some sort

Yes, I consider the Rune Master + ethereal Oath Small Crescent to be the final weapon set up for this barb. His primary job is to support the party with BO's.

I'll get the pmh mod from Oath, so no need for a Mal, Um or Tal.
Does the -25% To Target Defense from an Eth rune work on all monsters? Even if it does, isn't 3 Eth's overkill?

It's hard to lay out the rest of his final gear which makes the choice difficult, I know.

uzurpator

Jun 25, 2003
-% defense works against all monsters (it is an old meleemancer trick to use 4xeth phase blade for crushing blow against bosses) - dunno how does it work in PvP tho.

with 75% ignore defense all you need to worry is monster block since about 90% of all your attacks with that weapon will hit.

Depending on your ar/ias you may instert another eth for -100% defense or drop one to get shael for some brakepoint.

If you have pmh from somewhere else then the last socket may be used for anything actually - like ias, or allres jewel.

Choson

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Canada
Ash Housewares said:
I wouldn't like runemaster unless it's eth 5soc and you have a zod in which case it probably still wouldn't be worth it

the durability stinks
Eth 5os Rm is da shiz