• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Smite/Zealer on a budget

Xiamet

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
Smite/Zealer on a budget

Hi all

I'm back playing Diablo after an almost 1 year hiatus, and as you can probably guess, my accounts were wiped. So I'm starting 1.11 Ladder (east) and I want to develope a char that can do the Uber quests...which I hear either a Smiter or Zealot is the way to go.

My problem is, since I'm just starting out with nothing (and I mean nada), is it possible to make a Smiter or Zealot to take on Ubers without having Uber gear or Uber runewords?

you help is appreciated

-X

sizgar

Aug 21, 2003
europe *ralasom
Visit site
you are not the first one who is asking for help killing ubers :)

yep zealots and smiters can do the trick and only due to LIFE TAP

best idea is exile shield but keeping in mind that u have nothing the only solution for now is life tap from draculs. low chance to cast but when you cast it for the very first time you are safe i would say. simply as that ubers heal you and you will kill them what a deadly synergy lol

good luck and wellcome back :)

regs

Evrae Altana

Aug 13, 2005
Rubby Ducky
Be sure to load up on crushing blow on your Smiter or Zealot. It's crucial in order to be able to take down the Uber Bosses, and many items containing crushing blow are relatively cheap.

Xiamet

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the advice...

I've already got the obligatory MF Sorc working, so I can put together some decent gear for my Uber Killer, but even back when I was playing, Dracul's was a pain in the ascot to trade for...any other suggestion for where I can get Life Tap for cheap? What about a wand with charges, or is that not so good?

Also, I was thinking of going with a Combo pally, since I really loved my hammerdin for normal game play...what's the verdict on like a Smite/Hammerdin or Zealot/Hammerdin?

thanks again,

-X

plasmo

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
poor man's setup:

life tap = wand

crushing blow = Black (runeword) mace (40%), Guillaume's Face (35%), Goblin Toe (25%) or Gore Rider (15%)

resists (for Meph) = whatever

AR if using fanat instead of smite = Angelic combo

Hmm, life tap, CB, resists, possibly AR... can't think of anything else crucial to a build for this.

ramian

May 12, 2005
Singapore
you can pretty quickly get lifetap wands in hell. I got mine from Drognan in Act2. Just run out of town and run back in and his inventory will be restocked. Best I saw was a lvl4 lifetap with 90 charges.

does anyone know where else one can shop to get a wand with a higher level of lifetap?

Xiamet,
a Hammerdin/Smiter or Hammerdin/Zealot would be stretched too thin on skill points to be really effective in hell (much less in uber tristram) I think. Do try out a smiter/zealot like what's detailed in pougee's guide. Mine can handle his own during questing almost everywhere in the game and while taking on act bosses (haven't had the luck to do uber tristram yet, but I'm pretty sure he'll survive ok).

cheers!