• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Smite Damage : How does the Shield come into play?

Aug 7, 2005
Fox Lake, Illinois
Smite Damage : How does the Shield come into play?

I'm in the process of building a smiter, and I'm wonder what exactly a shield has to do with it. I realize that Smite uses a shield bashing attack, but I'm wondering how the type of shield, and what types of shields give more damage. Does it have to do with the defense, type of shield, or what?

Ehein

Apr 13, 2004
XxXxXxTJxXxXxX said:
Also... I hear Uped Eth Hoz is best... right?
:scratch:

ethereal does nothing for the dmg but its nice for extra def. Up'd HoZ and exile vortex shield are both good options. I prefer up'd hoz for uber resists, but if you want to duel barbs exile is a better option.

Rotang

Banned
Aug 1, 2005
In My House
Up'd Eth Hoz, its music to my ears, but there is one problem, no one has one, i have an up'd um'd hoz and an eth zod'd hoz, btw if anyone has an upd eth one, i will give both of mine, and a 98 res sanc, low def tho, im non ladder us east, let me know if you have one and are willing to trade, but the smiter thing, i belive exile vortex shield does about 70 more dmg than upd hoz, but dont quote me on that, im not positive

sizgar

Aug 21, 2003
europe *ralasom
Visit site
if u wear a shield on pala u can see "smite dmg" mod on the shield
of coz elite versions of shields do more dmg than exeptional and way more than normal shields

smite skill rises up ur smite dmg by %

fana does same

also items such as grief or astreons have + dmg mod on it ( not ED just + dmg) it counts for smite dmg as well

simply elite version does more dmg but u have couple elite shields in the game
eg all pala elite shields does same average dmg which is 46 (one of them does 46,5) but vortex does 5-85 zakarum 46-46 sacred targe 20-70 (i can be a bit wrong with numbers so plz check it out) so using vortex shield u will do great max dmg but crappy min using zakarum u do almost same dmg anyway

u need to choose between all elite shields what pala u want to be pvp or pvm what chars u want to fight and what monsters etc etc etc

upped HOZ (zakarum shield) is one of the best smiters shields in the game due to skills res and nice constant dmg 46-46 before holy shield

some people choose exile made in vortex or other shields due to life tap (lame as hell ;) )

hope it helps a bit

regs

sizgar

Aug 21, 2003
europe *ralasom
Visit site
Rotang said:
Up'd Eth Hoz, its music to my ears, but there is one problem, no one has one, i have an up'd um'd hoz and an eth zod'd hoz, btw if anyone has an upd eth one, i will give both of mine, and a 98 res sanc, low def tho, im non ladder us east, let me know if you have one and are willing to trade, but the smiter thing, i belive exile vortex shield does about 70 more dmg than upd hoz, but dont quote me on that, im not positive

me have eth upped HOZ but im europe player :D

just wanted to let u know that some1 is lucky enough :p

regs

Shaven Monkee

May 27, 2005
On your back!
Since ladder has reset me and the wife and VERY poor. So poor in fact we get excited over rares! Anyhow, I am finding Targes galore and I am finding jools too. Well, all I wanna know, do ED jools work on my shield, will it add to my Smite dmg, will it add to my Zeal dmg?

sizgar

Aug 21, 2003
europe *ralasom
Visit site
Rotang said:
Whats the def on the upd eth hoz??

well u need to know that blizz says upping of eth items has been fixed but its bulls**t

eg my eth HOZ guilded shield had ~700 def when i upped it up it become zakarum shield with exactly same def so its like ~700 now

regs

sizgar

Aug 21, 2003
europe *ralasom
Visit site
Shaven Monkee said:
Since ladder has reset me and the wife and VERY poor. So poor in fact we get excited over rares! Anyhow, I am finding Targes galore and I am finding jools too. Well, all I wanna know, do ED jools work on my shield, will it add to my Smite dmg, will it add to my Zeal dmg?

as far as i know in 1.10 max jools were bugged and they didnt affect ur dmg not sure about ed jools :(

regs

Spiritwind

Jul 18, 2005
sizgar said:
well u need to know that blizz says upping of eth items has been fixed but its bulls**t

eg my eth HOZ guilded shield had ~700 def when i upped it up it become zakarum shield with exactly same def so its like ~700 now

regs

It sounds like the fix is working. HOZ can have results as you posted when you get a poor roll on the upped HOZ base def. 169 is the base def before %Enhanced Defense on the HOZ.

Guilded shields have base of 144-168 def
Zakarum shields (upped version) have base of 169-193

When the bug was in effect your upped Ethereal HOZ would be ~500 def. Losing the ethereal bonus.

godzpk

Aug 14, 2005
virginia
Uhh First off

Eth Hoz? Are you kidding you get half the dmg best way to go on a shield is a HOZ socketed with a Ber or if you need more res a P dia... Honestly exile sucks in duels I have been using my smiter now for 6 months and tried d/f variations i own with hoz everytime. If you doubt me my account name is GODZ_PK you can challenge me anytime...