• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Shrunken Head auto-mod possibilities?

Kitriara

Jan 30, 2004
Philly
www.skkra.com
Shrunken Head auto-mod possibilities?

I was wondering if anyone has a link to a list of possible +skill auto-mods that can spawn on shrunken heads. I'm curious as to the combinations possible and at what levels I'd need to look to hope for certain combos.

Thanks!

amphrosyne

Jul 20, 2005
Kitriara said:
I was wondering if anyone has a link to a list of possible +skill auto-mods that can spawn on shrunken heads. I'm curious as to the combinations possible and at what levels I'd need to look to hope for certain combos.

Thanks!

the automods on shrunken heads are crap. something along the lines of 2-7 poison damage over 2 secs, etc. However, they can grant 1-3 bonuses of +1-3 to any nec skill.

Kitriara

Jan 30, 2004
Philly
www.skkra.com
Thats what I was specifically asking about if you re-read my first post... the +skill mods. There is usually a list of levels and whatnot that certain items need to spawn certain mods; thats what I'm looking for.

amphrosyne

Jul 20, 2005
any combination is possible just you cannot have more than one of the same skill. thus you can have +3 mage +1 decreptify and +2 bone spear. just you will have 1-3 of them and the highest is +3

dont know the lvls and stuff tho

Kitriara

Jan 30, 2004
Philly
www.skkra.com
The levels are what I'm most worried about.

Mainly, I'm looking for heads with +3 poison dagger on them. I'm wondering at what point heads will stop spawning with that mod on them, and if they DO have that mod, what other mods are available?

Myrakh-2

Jun 23, 2004
flyff.cable.nu
Kitriara said:
Mainly, I'm looking for heads with +3 poison dagger on them. I'm wondering at what point heads will stop spawning with that mod on them, and if they DO have that mod, what other mods are available?

IIRC, poison dagger is a lvl 1 or lvl 6 skill, so heads with it will spawn in A1 already.

I believe the bigger problem is the poison damage on these heads --- I never played a poison necro so I might be wrong here, but IIRC you need to be careful with poison damage mods to not mess up your pdagger...

Kitriara

Jan 30, 2004
Philly
www.skkra.com
I'll have to check once I get back to a computer with D2 on it. Some post over at Lurker Lounge said that heads cant spawn with that mod at all, but I dont know if thats true or not.

They had boatloads of MPQ information concerning staffmod generation, but sadly it became too technical for me to follow.

RTB

Jun 21, 2003
Dimension of Numbers
PDagger can't spawn on shields nor wands, only on daggers. Which can't get staffmods. :rolleyes:

There's a good explanation of staffmods at the AB forum, just search for "staffmods".

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
Myrakh-2 said:
IIRC, poison dagger is a lvl 1 or lvl 6 skill, so heads with it will spawn in A1 already.

I believe the bigger problem is the poison damage on these heads --- I never played a poison necro so I might be wrong here, but IIRC you need to be careful with poison damage mods to not mess up your pdagger...

Without poison dagger all durations of all poison sources averages (there are exceptions - like charms apparently, which don't appear to count). So if you have a really short duration on an item it can reduce the overall duration. All poison damage rates add up, however, so more is always good in that respect. When you use poison dagger, the skill duration doesn't average like the items. Instead it adds on directly to that averaged duration from all the items. Unless you only want to have to stab a boss every 20 seconds instead of every 12-14, it's really not an issue IMO. If typical monsters aren't dying within the dagger skill's duration you don't have a very strong skill on your hands.

Kitriara,

Even if P-Dagger could spawn on heads Trang's Wing would still trump any magic or rare head you could find anyway since with two other Trang items it will give you -25 poison resistance. If one of those items is Trang's Gloves (+25% damage) it's like having 5 free perfect poison facets. If you're looking for something to use in the meantime just keep your eyes open for PNB heads and let people know in the trade forums that you're looking for one. Too many people ignore magic and rare heads. They could really be quite useful with good mods. Trang's gloves, shield (wing), and armor aren't that hard to find and will likely trade for PGems later in the ladder season. The Belt (which is quite nice) and Helmet (which is crap) are considerably harder to find and worth a lot more.

Mar 2, 2004
Pherdnut said:
Without poison dagger all durations of all poison sources averages (there are exceptions - like charms apparently, which don't appear to count). So if you have a really short duration on an item it can reduce the overall duration. All poison damage rates add up, however, so more is always good in that respect. When you use poison dagger, the skill duration doesn't average like the items. Instead it adds on directly to that averaged duration from all the items. Unless you only want to have to stab a boss every 20 seconds instead of every 12-14, it's really not an issue IMO. If typical monsters aren't dying within the dagger skill's duration you don't have a very strong skill on your hands.

Kitriara,

Even if P-Dagger could spawn on heads Trang's Wing would still trump any magic or rare head you could find anyway since with two other Trang items it will give you -25 poison resistance. If one of those items is Trang's Gloves (+25% damage) it's like having 5 free perfect poison facets. If you're looking for something to use in the meantime just keep your eyes open for PNB heads and let people know in the trade forums that you're looking for one. Too many people ignore magic and rare heads. They could really be quite useful with good mods. Trang's gloves, shield (wing), and armor aren't that hard to find and will likely trade for PGems later in the ladder season. The Belt (which is quite nice) and Helmet (which is crap) are considerably harder to find and worth a lot more.

Although if you are willing to wait, the helm and belt will get very cheap as well as the season goes on, assuming similar trends as in the past.