• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Shield

thorsa

Jul 7, 2005
Shield

I found a swordback shield yesterday,,i dont really understand what the 50% chance of open wound means and how this benifits in PvM and PvP

An explaination would be appreciated

Thanks

kobrakai[UK]

Jan 30, 2004
What is the definition of Open Wounds?
This is a chance of making a monster bleed uncontrollably. Monsters with open wounds lose health continuously while bleeding.

It is good in PvP because in classic there isn't a way to deal a large amount of phyiscal damage to another player with weapons available, so additional forms of damaging another player are very useful.

thorsa

Jul 7, 2005
kobrakai[UK] said:
What is the definition of Open Wounds?
This is a chance of making a monster bleed uncontrollably. Monsters with open wounds lose health continuously while bleeding.

It is good in PvP because in classic there isn't a way to deal a large amount of phyiscal damage to another player with weapons available, so additional forms of damaging another player are very useful.

Thanks for reply

magnet

Dec 13, 2004
usa
swordback is used alot in softcore bvb also, where health pots are frowned upon, and most builds are the tanker-type, pure vitality bvb's.

open wounds lets you bleed out some of your oppenents huge amount of life in the down time between whirlwinding eachother...it also ensures that if a match is close enough near the end, it will usually end in a tie [the final ww being between two guys bled down to 1 life]

i've heard people don't use sback so much in hardcore, where pots/juves are pretty much expected, and bvb builds favor Big dmg Quick, with faster duels--open wounds isnt nearly as viable...

ive seen a few naga/exec speeders use sback when dueling a particularly fast, hard to catch sorc....you would just have to get one little nick and most sorcs would bleed down to 1 life, quickly enough to be funny, as they tele about playing hard to get...... then one more little scrape and BLAMO~ mana pots everywhere :lol:

Zodijackyl

Oct 4, 2004
Swordback Hold is used by lame BvB's who add to increased speed, then hit and run on high def barbs who would rather duel with skill and for fun, not with cheese gear. I see it used mostly by people who eBay/paypal a cheap duped weapon then throw this and a twitch on their barb then hit and run on my 13kdef barb :(
Please, dont try to use it for BvB, its no fun for anyone.

magnet

Dec 13, 2004
usa
Zodijackyl said:
Swordback Hold is used by lame BvB's who add to increased speed, then hit and run on high def barbs who would rather duel with skill and for fun, not with cheese gear. I see it used mostly by people who eBay/paypal a cheap duped weapon then throw this and a twitch on their barb then hit and run on my 13kdef barb :(
Please, dont try to use it for BvB, its no fun for anyone.

A++ for the inaccuracy of your broad, sweeping generalizations and for...well....just general silliness i guess :clap:

i gather you have def barb you love deeply? but-- and i'm just speculating here-- you find it difficult to handle that he's easily beaten by a bvb wearing mainly sets/uniques?

now i would agree, to take advantage if your oppenent isn't using sback, by hitting them then running off and watching them bleed, is pretty low down and dirty.....

perhaps you should focus your frustration on that tactic, rather than the item itself, and avoid slandering everyone that uses it .....lol.

i mean c'mon...swordback is "mostly' used by lame bvb's with increased speed and a taste for cheese, who don't fight fair, and slay *your* barb [without using any skill] using their paypal'd dupes?

thats just silly :eek:

Murrogh

Apr 18, 2005
WI, Useast ladder
magnet said:
A++ for the inaccuracy of your broad, sweeping generalizations and for...well....just general silliness i guess :clap:

i gather you have def barb you love deeply? but-- and i'm just speculating here-- you find it difficult to handle that he's easily beaten by a bvb wearing mainly sets/uniques?

now i would agree, to take advantage if your oppenent isn't using sback, by hitting them then running off and watching them bleed, is pretty low down and dirty.....

perhaps you should focus your frustration on that tactic, rather than the item itself, and avoid slandering everyone that uses it .....lol.

i mean c'mon...swordback is "mostly' used by lame bvb's with increased speed and a taste for cheese, who don't fight fair, and slay *your* barb [without using any skill] using their paypal'd dupes?

thats just silly :eek:

it is very silly.
Most bvb barbs used swordback on the old eastern ladder.
basic setup for most bvb's was.

swordback, twitch, angelic rings and ammy, goblin toe boots.
then rest of gear was optional. sigs helm/gloves for more AR is common too.
then belt and weapon is only weapons you need rares for. although some use deaths for cannot be frozen

it might be annoying to ppl with all perfect rares that people with this type of setup can beat them. but I don't see how you can call it lame.

fredsta54

Nov 7, 2003
New Jersey
Not to say that twitch//S-back is the best setup. (well, its all about diff ppls opinions)

And defense bvbs... their awesome, but not as... good. Cooler though imo.

Fred