• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Shadow Warrior?

wycked

Aug 2, 2005
Shadow Warrior?

I plan on making my 1st trapsin and I have a question regarding SW. I looked over all the guides but didn't find an answer to this so hopefully somebody here can help me. Since a SW will use the same skills that I put on my hotbar would that mean that for instance he lays 5 LS as well as me making that a total of 10 traps out? Also I heard that synergies now effect the SW so would the traps the SW lays be as strong as my own now?
Thanks in advance....

BatTheMan

Aug 2, 2005
montreal
from faq

Q: Do Shadows benefit from synergies?

A: Yes, but in a strange way. Shadows do not appear to have a synergy cap of 20 points, as per other classes, but continue to gain synergy bonuses even after slvl 20, assuming the Assassin has +skills that will boost that level above 20(potentially allowing the Shadow to do more damage with a certain skill than the Assassin herself, or at least matching it). However, to gain the synergy bonuses of a certain skill, it must choose to use that skill (for example, a Shadow would need to use Fists of Fire before getting Fists of Fire's synergy bonuses on PS's Meteor. The same principle works with Lightning Traps, for example). Note: Once that particular Shadow dies (or you re-cast it), it has to "re-learn" all its synergies.

While it's possible to get a Shadow to do more damage with a Lightning Trap than yourself, it often becomes a trying exercise in order to get your Shadow to use the skill you want it to (given how fickle the Shadow AI is). It's easier to control which skill a Shadow Warriors uses, but it gets difficult keeping even a high level SWarrior alive in Hell.

As an example to illustrate how a Shadow might do damage with her skills:

Assuming the Assassin has:
20 LS (+20 skills)
20 DS (+20 skills)
20 CBS (+20 skills)
20 SWeb (+20 skills)
20 SWarrior (+11 skills)
LS damage/bolt: 4485 avg.

As synergy bonuses stretch beyond slvl 20(for the Shadow), the Shadow would use (according to the formula in the previous FAQ):
31 LS
31 DS
31 CBS
31 SWeb
LS damage/bolt: 4244 avg.

Deaths Jaws

Aug 6, 2004
ok im not sure about the synergy thing but i believe i read it somewere that if the shadow warrior or master use any synergy skills (ie: charged bolt sentry then lit sentry then death dentry they would all get synergy bonus from each other but not if they wernt used...order not important just the use of the skill itself) it adds the synergy bonus to the other skills that they USE!! (the synergies must be used for the synergy to work apparently)

now for the traps: u can only have 5 traps on the go at once per character (the assassin + shadow master/warrior count as 1 character as they are summonables). i wish u could have 10 traps but yeah....9 lit sents and 1 death sent...bye bye lister

anyways i hope i kinda helped.

also a little off topic...shadow master is a little better than warrior for several reasons as u may of read:

+ more life
+ more resists
+ better use of skills IE: more inteligent than warrior
+ cast and 'forget' she will deal with problems at hand by herself pretty ineligently
+ uses mind blast....saves a point to invest in synergies which means more damage for u

- cost more mana
- can be a pain over riding ur trap placement

thats all i can think of now. ive never used a warrior in hell cos they seem to die in 1-3 hits so not any good at tanking were as my master can wipe out the mobs for me whilst i chat to people or walk away from the comp to get another coffee

just remember to try to get level 17 in master for all rare gear and ur laughing (after +skills gear...+6 shaow disaplins should come from 2 +3 shaodw claws anyways... so the ammy/armour/helm/anything else u can think of can help to get to level 17 master.)

i found with my WW sin last ladder a level 39 master (maxed with 10 shadow charms and +9 from claw switch...gotta love the +3 shaodw disaplins/+3 master claws..too bad i only got one) she could tank anyting and was able to pk even iron barbs and others pretty easily. also baal had fun tossing her around but she pretty much always got the last hit and killed him for me
so they can be a bit of fun to play around with.

just my rarther large 2 cents :)

enjoy

Uzziah

Feb 20, 2004
Sorry I have to disagree with this:

also a little off topic...shadow master is a little better than warrior for several reasons as u may of read:

+ more life
+ more resists
+ better use of skills IE: more inteligent than warrior
+ cast and 'forget' she will deal with problems at hand by herself pretty ineligently
+ uses mind blast....saves a point to invest in synergies which means more damage for u

- cost more mana
- can be a pain over riding ur trap placement

Far Better?? Well, shadow master has no increased defense, fade can be used to give shadow warrior better resistances. when your talking in the 1000's life a minion is plenty fine life wise, infact a shadows life really isn't much of an issue.

better skills, well shadow masters are unpredictable, shadow warriors can be controlled.

Mind Blast usage 1 point in your mind blast gives the shadow warrior just as powerful a skill as the shadow master and PS you're already talking the same skill points since you have an extra point in shadow warrior in order to get shadow master.

shadow warriors traps can be far more effective than your own, especially if you know how to "train" your shadow. go here if you want to know more about "training" your shadow, its my teacher build.

Shadow warriors and masters have equal possiblities infact depending on what your looking for each may be better suited for different builds. as far as being better well its all a matter of choice. I far more like the shadow warrior since I can control her far better than a master.

Deaths Jaws

Aug 6, 2004
i understand what ur saying mate but at base 1 point om my master and 2 +3 shadow/+3 shadow master claws (now deleted along with my assasin...i hate nl with a passion) and the CoH/Shako/Maras/1 BK/1 SoJ my master was though enough...total of:level 20 with only 1 point invested so i did indeed save that point from mind blast :D

but im not looking forward to shopping for 2 more of those 3/3 claws :( took me a few days to roll em last time