• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

shadow warrior vs. shadow master

mannyfresh

Aug 11, 2005
canada
Well they are both good for tanking, but shadow warrior gets a defence bonus, so its good for melee, and shadow master gets a resistance bonus, so its good for elemental attacks. I prefer warrior because there are more enemies that use melee than elemental, although elemental damage will probably kill you :D

BIGeyedBUG

Oct 16, 2003
frisco
Visit site
Most players go with SMs because of the 5 trap limit. (Which isn't that big of a deal IMO, and a smartly run SW will have less problems with it than the Master anyway.) They can both be pretty tough minions, but for pure tanking ability I prefer the SW, mainly because the SM's AI will have it periodically retreat from a fight and use traps. The SM also disappears pretty frequently, which is mostly just annoying but can be dangerous if you forget to recast it.

ilkori

May 23, 2004
Pool of Beginnings
If you ever have trouble keeping your shadows in the middle of the fray, use Blade Fury where you want them to stand. Once their AI is at a decent level (anything past level 10 or so), they'll run up and tank if they aren't already there. Every once and a while they do something like retreat, but usually my Master just DFlights right in.

Both work really well, and honestly the Warrior becomes Hell viable before the Master. My preference is the Master just because I'm too lazy to baby the Warrior.