• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Runewords

Machera

Aug 1, 2005
Norway
Runewords

Hello!
I played this game some time ago, and I can't say that I am a complete noob, but I forgot how this works. I am going to make the "Leaf" runeword, and I am not sure about how this works. For example, can i make the rune word in a superior item? And, can i make it in a staff that already has +2 to for example fire ball, even though it is not magical, and if i can, will i still get the +2 to Fireball?

Orphan

May 23, 2004
Basically, yes to all your questions :)

Edit: Just to clarify:
- You can make runes in superior items
- If you find a 2 socketted staff (since Leaf requires 2 sockets), that has +2 to fireball, then you can make leaf in that staff
- Yes, it'll the staff will keep the +2 to fireball, thus the staff will give a total of +5 to fireball (+3 from the leaf runeword, +2 from the natural skills of the staff).

Myrakh-2

Jun 23, 2004
flyff.cable.nu
Runewords can be made in any non-magical items (i.e. the item must be displayed in grey letters). This includes superior and cracked ones, as well as items with staffmods/automods such as +fireball on staffs or resistances on paladin shields.

The whole point of runewords that go in staffs or wands is to make them in items that already have appropiate skills on them. Classic example is the "White" runeword, which is (usually) made into a bone wand with +3 bonespear... which, with the bonuses from the runeword, adds a total of +8 to bonespear.