• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Revived Urdars vs. new bosses

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
Revived Urdars vs. new bosses

Assuming Summon Resist stacks with their inherent resists, these guys should be unbreakable from conviction for fire, lightning, and ice with just a few +skills to summoning. Could be an Uber Meph killer. The biggest challenge is keeping yourself alive I guess and I think that may be possible with the proper gear.

DevilsWrath

Aug 29, 2004
ok heres the thing, my summoner recently faced the 3 ubers. I had godly gear on and had about 30 summoned urdars, 17 skellies, 10 mages, and a lvl 82 might merc with fort and infinity polearm. Not to mention I had beast on too and was repeatedly casting amp dmg on meph. With all the urdars, mages, merc, and lvl 45 skeletons with 47 mastery and a good bo for all minions, they still kicked my ***. I now believe that a summoner cant take on the ubers. Hell, he even had a hard time taking on uber izzy, lilith, and duriel too. I would think that will all the massive physical dmg coming from minions and merc, might and fant auras and amp dmg, and the repeated corpse explosions from nearby dead minions that it would make a dent in the ubers but it really doesnt. If anyone out there has a better idea, pls tell me.

Nov 6, 2003
Check the thread that has all the details about the new bosses and for more info on strat's etc. I don't care what people say about a solo player who can tank and kill all 3 boss packs without dying...not true. You need to isolate each boss period to get the job done. I have been lucky enough to fight them at least 6 times and could not have done it without a Summoner in the game. You can do it, but play smart and have patience. Good luck.

DevilsWrath

Aug 29, 2004
i know a single player can take them on and win, I have done it. It seems the only char that can is a smiter. My smiter soloed all 3, but no other char i have tried since has been able to do it like him.

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
Ouchee. Did you get your mages to poison the Ubers first? What was killing your Urdars? Or did you get killed before they went down?

Nov 6, 2003
DevilsWrath said:
i know a single player can take them on and win, I have done it. It seems the only char that can is a smiter. My smiter soloed all 3, but no other char i have tried since has been able to do it like him.

Sorry should have made myself clearer..no single char can take on all 3 boss packs at the same time and live..and unless someone submits video tape evidence, I am not buying it lol ;)

DevilsWrath

Aug 29, 2004
My smiter survived only because of his cb, prevent heal, and ow. Not to mention he used an eth vortex exile at the time and the lifetap was constantly active which prevented him to dying. The 6fpa smite and lifetap kept his health full and he never had to heal, even with the summons all around him. On the topic of the urdars and summons vs the ubers, At that point I had 17 skellies, 10 mages, a merc, a clay golem, and 31 revives stacked on top of an uber at once. Every minion was benefitted by fant, might, bo, and I amped the enemy. With all that damage the uber's health failed to fall fast or even at all. I was truly just watching while all my minions attacked and were dispatched one by one until I was the only one left, then I had to bug out and return with friends.

AnimeCraze

Jul 13, 2005
Vancouver
DevilsWrath said:
My smiter survived only because of his cb, prevent heal, and ow. Not to mention he used an eth vortex exile at the time and the lifetap was constantly active which prevented him to dying. The 6fpa smite and lifetap kept his health full and he never had to heal, even with the summons all around him. On the topic of the urdars and summons vs the ubers, At that point I had 17 skellies, 10 mages, a merc, a clay golem, and 31 revives stacked on top of an uber at once. Every minion was benefitted by fant, might, bo, and I amped the enemy. With all that damage the uber's health failed to fall fast or even at all. I was truly just watching while all my minions attacked and were dispatched one by one until I was the only one left, then I had to bug out and return with friends.

Are the Udder types? And does your merc has CB on him. (obedience or something like that)

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
Did you see the questions I asked earlier Devil's? I'm really curious as to how well your Urdars fared. I wouldn't expect the warriors, mages, or merc to last long. Also, did you get mages to poison the bosses? Their regen rate is like 16K life a second.

Cdnexpat

Jan 29, 2005
Busan ROK
I tried last night, I really have my doubts if it can be done with a summoner. The bosses can be poisoned with mages and the Udars hold up well even under conviction, but Meph pulls summons up out of the ground really fast and they wipe out your army, the monsters can even kill your revives, which in my previous expirence are nearly immortal till the clock runs out. On their own the Udars don't have enough oomph to finish the job, I got Meph to a sliver of life two times but could not finish the job. If I could find a way to keep my merc alive maybe I could have done it. Without him...
I would say that Baal was easy to kill, Diablo was hard but can be done and Meph I couldn't do.
The problem that I haven't seen mentioned here is you start to get tired after four or five hours of battling in Tristram and then you, or at least I, start to make mistakes. If you want to try it I would recommend you open a cows game. The cows are good revives to use when you are trying to separate the three. If you are a summoner you have to have enigma, it isn't even worth trying without it. I would put Treachery armor on my merc when I would go to summon to help his resists, then switch later, I may try again and give him upped GA maybe that will help...

DevilsWrath

Aug 29, 2004
i agree with you, it is hard. About the only option that seems to keep the merc alive would be to stack resists like slapping a coh and something else on him, but might might knock his dmg down so he'd be ineffective anyways. Not to mention all the other monsters beating the snot out of him. As far as urdars go, I had around 20-30 when i battled the ubers and the urdars with their crappy ai didnt really take too many swings at the bosses, or so it seems. The other monsters around them seemed to have distracted and isolated them which in return killed them. They stayed alive longer than the skellies due to their increased life, but still the dmg they did to the bosses (meph in particular) was minimal and just disappointing. It can't be done with a summoner and i think thats how its always gonna be.

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
I doubt merc can be kept alive. But if CBing Urdars, and CE can't do the job then yeah, it sounds mighty unlikely a summoner could handle it without a partner. Maybe some selective lifetap use will help keep the revives alive longer? In any case, thanks for the feedback guys. I haven't faced these critters yet so I really had no idea.

Cdnexpat

Jan 29, 2005
Busan ROK
I may try it with COH. I believe it has 200% to damage as a bonus and it gives extra life leach, so it would help alot. It will take me a while to gather the runes but it will give me something to do with my necro now that he is non ladder. If I could do it the fact it is so hard would make it that much sweeter.

I think I will build a zealot or frenzy bard to try run the big guys on ladder at some point far down the road.

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
That would be sound. Smiters and zealots seem to be having the easiest time of it and it appears you don't even need high end RWs. A CoH sure wouldn't hurt though.

DevilsWrath

Aug 29, 2004
Id say enigma basically cause I liked being able to tele out of the monster swarms rather than trying to fight my way out and getting overrun.

newerest

Jan 28, 2005
Houston, Texas
netbux.org
He was talking about the merc's armor.

I think you should pull the boss away into a corner and life tap him. If you let the summons surround him, he should be taking quite a bit of damage.