• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

question(s) and ww barb help please

asdfgah

Apr 11, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden
question(s) and ww barb help please

Question: does cold affect whirlwind attack speed?

I'm asking because I really need the ravenfrost ring slot for a manald heal to get some mana leech. Atm (at lvl 63) I have to use ghoulhide unique heavy bracers as my only source for mana leech but when I hit level 76 I really want to be able to use dracul's grasp and still have some mana leech. I can't switch the angelic ring/ammy combo for manald heal either because then I wouldn't hit anything :rant:

Does anyone else have any suggestions on how I can get mana leech?

The current gear is this:

Arreat's Face
Duress - Balrog Skin
Raven Frost
String of Ear
Gore Rider
Ghoulhide - going to switch this for dracul's grasp
2x Echoing Throwing Spear on switch
Angelic Wings
Angelic Halo
Oath - Balrog Blade

I think that's all he's wearing :scratch:

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
necrolemming said:
Dracs is kinda pointless, as CtC lifetap will not trigger through Whirling.

Being chilled actually increases your damage, as you're hitting more as you whirl past slowly.

As endgame gloves, soul drainers would be nice for dual leech.

Nods, I was going to post but-there's no reason to, everything is said there^.

essojay

Jun 26, 2004
NH
You are using a second weapon or a shield with Oath, right? Using Oath alone as a two-handed weapon reduce the number of hits of WW.

asdfgah

Apr 11, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden
necrolemming said:
Dracs is kinda pointless, as CtC lifetap will not trigger through Whirling.

Being chilled actually increases your damage, as you're hitting more as you whirl past slowly.

I decided to stick with the ravenfrost by the way mainly because it gives me over 1k AR.

As endgame gloves, soul drainers would be nice for dual leech.
Damn I'm always forgetting about that, soul drainers are a good idea, thanks!
essojay said:
You are using a second weapon or a shield with Oath, right? Using Oath alone as a two-handed weapon reduce the number of hits of WW.
No I'm using a second weapon or shield because it would lower the damage from the oath so much and I don't have a good second weapon to use together with it. I wouldn't do that anyway because I'm hitting very much now anyway and I like it better to play using it 2h, personally I think it's more fun that way.

Can someone explain a bit why you hit more with a second weapon or with oath/shield? (not that I'm going to change my opinion anyway ;))

("base" damage on it is 93-474 one handed and 347-750 two handed)

Right now I'm smacking my way through act2 hell,

Expect a patriarch thread soon! :D

Rugruth

Jul 1, 2004
IIRC you hit 1.5 times with weapon/weapon, but the same with weapon shield.

In short, the 2 weapons hit 'at the same time' giving you 1.5 the normal times to hit.

R.

LitmusDragon

Jul 7, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure that a huge amount of AR is necessary for WW, can anyone confirm? I have a 1.11 WW barb, but he's only level 70. At this point I've not run into AR problems and the only thing I'm using with AR is my Ravenfrost (I'm not using the angelic ring/ammy).

I do have a couple of suggestions:
Get your AR from charms instead
or
Switch from the Arreat's to a Vampire Gaze

Assuming you switch to the Gaze, you could probably swap out your String of Ears for a Thundergod's Vigor as well, since you'd be getting DR and LL from the Gaze.

Might be hard to give up the Arreat's though, that's a nice helm. I'd try to find some way to get rid of the ring/ammy, myself.

I probably wouldn't give up the Ravenfrost, either. All of the mods are useful, the +dex, the can't be frozen, the AR.

Here's what my Barb is using, if that helps:
Vampire Gaze with %10 resist all jewel
Duress - Lacquered Plate
Thundergod's Vigor
Rare Colossus Sword with %30 IAS, %299 ED and +11 strength
Laying of Hands
Gore Riders
Mara's Kaeidoscope
Ravenfrost
Rare ring with resists + life leech

I actually don't own an Arreat's or else I'd probably be using it. I'd need to figure out some other source of life and mana leech though.