• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Question on Crushing Blow and Knockback

pixelpowder

Jul 16, 2003
France
Visit site
Question on Crushing Blow and Knockback

I am thinking about a character that would use an A1 mercernary with Crushing Blow and Knockback.

I have collected information on this site, but I am still in doubt about a few points (I read different information) :

1) Basic facts :

I understand that Crushing Blow will remove 1/8 of the life of a normal monster and 1/16 of the life of a Boss/Unique when used on a A1 merc.

For knockback, the knockback will trigger 25%, 50%, or 100% of the time depending on whether the target is Big, Medium or Small. I assume that Diablo and Baal ar Big (25% trigger).

Am I right so far ?

2) CB in multiplayer games :

I read conflicting information on this point. Does CB scale with the number of players ? In an 8 player-game will CB damage only be calculated on the base life of the monster, or is it like static field caclulated on its actual life ?

3) Effect of resistance and Amp Damage :

I understand that if a normal monster has 50% physical resistance, CB will only take 1/16 of his life away.

If I Amp this monster (phys resistance drops to -50%) will it remove 1/8 (Phys res capped to positive) or 3/16 ? I read both so I don't know which one is correct.

Thanks for you answers.

RTB

Jun 21, 2003
Dimension of Numbers
pixelpowder said:
For knockback, the knockback will trigger 25%, 50%, or 100% of the time depending on whether the target is Big, Medium or Small. I assume that Diablo and Baal ar Big (25% trigger).

Am I right so far ?
You've got the chances right, but Diablo and Baal aren't big, they're huge. But the real reason is that bosses (that includes act bosses) cannot be knocked back. You can't knock back Griswold either.

2) CB in multiplayer games :

I read conflicting information on this point. Does CB scale with the number of players ? In an 8 player-game will CB damage only be calculated on the base life of the monster, or is it like static field caclulated on its actual life ?
Current life divided by 0.5*(Playercount+1). It scales.

3) Effect of resistance and Amp Damage :

I understand that if a normal monster has 50% physical resistance, CB will only take 1/16 of his life away.

If I Amp this monster (phys resistance drops to -50%) will it remove 1/8 (Phys res capped to positive) or 3/16 ? I read both so I don't know which one is correct.
It can never take more than the listed percentage. A negative physical resistance is treated as 0% for CB.

pixelpowder

Jul 16, 2003
France
Visit site
RTB said:
You've got the chances right, but Diablo and Baal aren't big, they're huge. But the real reason is that bosses (that includes act bosses) cannot be knocked back. You can't knock back Griswold either.

Current life divided by 0.5*(Playercount+1). It scales.

It can never take more than the listed percentage. A negative physical resistance is treated as 0% for CB.

Thanks a lot for these fast answers :D

Knockback doesn't work on Bosses... Hmm interesting I didn't know that. It does make knockback a much less interesting option if it only works on Champions !

bruthor

Jul 3, 2005
Norway
pixelpowder said:
Thanks a lot for these fast answers :D

Knockback doesn't work on Bosses... Hmm interesting I didn't know that. It does make knockback a much less interesting option if it only works on Champions !

Not only champions! It knocks back uniques (stone skin, fire enchanted, ect)
But not all SUPER unique and no act end bosses. Even some super uniques like radament and the smith can be knocked back. In other words, few can not be knocked back.