• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

PvP Poisonmancer v2

short question to psn nec, if your against a fho;

if i cast bone wall/prison is it possible, that fho hits the wall / prison? if yes, it would be like a freekill :shocked:

if not, how can i take a fho down? he just need to land 2 fhos on me and im history :undecided:

Apr 5, 2004
England, nottinghamshire
hi all, wow this thread got active while I was gone :) hehe

back from traveling round europe, although cant say ill be that active :(

good job summerfun is here to answer questions :)

1stly as said above conviction doesnt affect enemy poison resistance.
2ndly to remove immunes only the -resist from LR works therefore haveing enough -poison resist to remove burning souls immunity is impossible

Deaths web is an awsome weapon but can be interchanged with other nice weapons (i swap between dweb and hoto) for seperate situations, ie if someone doesnt stack resists hoto is better.

with dweb i drop to 75%fcr too with hoto I hit 125%

foh palas can be tricky in pubby games because others get in the way, but 1v1 they are simple to beat, summon a small army and just go nuts. it will be ages before a foh pala can get through the army, in fact an army makes it a very unfair fight against any pala they just cant win. the anoyance in pubby games is some class destroy your army in very few attacks, ie fire sorc, not hard to beat, just kills your army.

glad to see people enjoying 1 of the best classes D2 has to offer :) - unparreleled mob clearing and 1 of the most powerful pvp classes :)

poison necs only weakness is act bosses

Summerfun

Mar 4, 2005
Wolfen Empire ~~~~~~ Denmark
hi all, wow this thread got active while I was gone :) hehe

back from traveling round europe, although cant say ill be that active :(

good job summerfun is here to answer questions :)

1stly as said above conviction doesnt affect enemy poison resistance.
2ndly to remove immunes only the -resist from LR works therefore haveing enough -poison resist to remove burning souls immunity is impossible

Deaths web is an awsome weapon but can be interchanged with other nice weapons (i swap between dweb and hoto) for seperate situations, ie if someone doesnt stack resists hoto is better.

with dweb i drop to 75%fcr too with hoto I hit 125%

foh palas can be tricky in pubby games because others get in the way, but 1v1 they are simple to beat, summon a small army and just go nuts. it will be ages before a foh pala can get through the army, in fact an army makes it a very unfair fight against any pala they just cant win. the anoyance in pubby games is some class destroy your army in very few attacks, ie fire sorc, not hard to beat, just kills your army.

glad to see people enjoying 1 of the best classes D2 has to offer :) - unparreleled mob clearing and 1 of the most powerful pvp classes :)

poison necs only weakness is act bosses

Its allways nice to have you back! :thumbsup:
How was your trip?

Back on topick, most pub FoH paladins dont use enigma, so you should be able to cast boneprisson on them and keep them in one place.

If you use wizzard spike and maybe drop to 75% fcr it should be very easy to keep max res even with conviction.

wizzy 50% fcr
TO gloves 20% fcr
amu 10+% fcr.

That opens up for some HEAVY light res gear.

Kiras maybe socket LO
Thunder goods
Sanctuary shield or if you have enough str 3P-topaz+LO shield.

By now any FoH should start to cry, if not then add 2 Whisp.

Throttle

Mar 13, 2005
Denmark
Just a few notes here. I never played a poisonmancer but I've seen them quite a bit and fought against several. Anyway:

I'm pretty sure FoH cannot be blocked except by assassins with claw block.

You cannot reach 125%fcr with Death's Web and have max block (unless you're crazy enough to max block with Spirit or Lidless).

Stormshield can be worth it. Stick a Hel in it and it'll require 133 strength. Anni + Torch + Enigma alone will give you around +100 strength at level 85ish so you're only like 18 short, which you can probably get from your boots, circlet, amulet or rings. Helps immensely against any physical damage dealer (including windies).

You'll need to use mana potions if you're going to spam-tele around. There's no way to avoid it if you don't want to sacrifice a bunch of stats for extra mana. The good thing is that mana potions are easy to get and not considered BM, so you shouldn't actually go out of your way to get extra mana. It's nice to have, but most other things come before it.

+1 to all skills (not +1 to necro) will give you around +220 poison nova damage, +3% life and mana (from BO), slightly stronger bone armor/golem/bone walls and other insignificant stuff, and a small reduce in teleport's mana cost. If it's a choice between +5-10% poison damage and +1 to all skills, I'd take the skill.

With all the things you focus on, you're gonna be low on life. Block, mass fcr and fhr, lots of +skills and so on... you'll need optimal equipment to reach even 2k life, and absolutely godlike gear for anything higher. Watch your life, you can die to one blessed hammer, one FoH, one blizzard or one hit of charged strike. Remember that.

Just a few notes here. I never played a poisonmancer but I've seen them quite a bit and fought against several. Anyway:

You cannot reach 125%fcr with Death's Web and have max block (unless you're crazy enough to max block with Spirit or Lidless).

Stormshield can be worth it. Stick a Hel in it and it'll require 133 strength. Anni + Torch + Enigma alone will give you around +100 strength at level 85ish so you're only like 18 short, which you can probably get from your boots, circlet, amulet or rings. Helps immensely against any physical damage dealer (including windies).

You'll need to use mana potions if you're going to spam-tele around. There's no way to avoid it if you don't want to sacrifice a bunch of stats for extra mana. The good thing is that mana potions are easy to get and not considered BM, so you shouldn't actually go out of your way to get extra mana. It's nice to have, but most other things come before it.

+1 to all skills (not +1 to necro) will give you around +220 poison nova damage, +3% life and mana (from BO), slightly stronger bone armor/golem/bone walls and other insignificant stuff, and a small reduce in teleport's mana cost. If it's a choice between +5-10% poison damage and +1 to all skills, I'd take the skill.

With all the things you focus on, you're gonna be low on life. Block, mass fcr and fhr, lots of +skills and so on... you'll need optimal equipment to reach even 2k life, and absolutely godlike gear for anything higher. Watch your life, you can die to one blessed hammer, one FoH, one blizzard or one hit of charged strike. Remember that.

you can use golem or summoned monions to "avoid" getting hit by foh, what ever...

if you need max block a swap to whistans will do it, but why using a storm shield for that o_O i actualy only would need maxblock for bowzones but it would make it only easier, its not that its pointless without max block and with a bo @ my lvl 87 psn necro i got 2.5k life so its okey removing spirit would not only hurt my fcr, it would set my resis lower as well as mana/life. so spirit is just nice:wink2:

*sorry for spelling, keep overseeing them:hide:

Summerfun

Mar 4, 2005
Wolfen Empire ~~~~~~ Denmark

Seems like you should try making one.
My nec has more than 2k life with max block setup and max dr.

Uncle_Mike

D2 PvP Moderator
Jul 31, 2003
"O'Neill's Empire" Warsaw
Visit site
@ throttle; just try a psn necro its fun and then you can see, why psn necro does not use bone armor:lipsrsealed:

PSN nec doesn't use bone armor? I would say that bone armor is crucial vs melee. Also, I would say that stormshield is a must if you are not very defensive, and being defensive on a psn nec is rather difficult because of he low range of nova.

Also, from my relatively limited experience with a psn nec you can expect two things:

1. people will stack res vs you up to the point that they not only prebuff with antidotes but also chug ones during duels (not to mention running to akara all the time)
2. zerk>ww, good barbs will zerk psn necs (or necs in general perhaps, my bone nec is still in the making) - bypassing the bone armor is a huge factor in those duels. Having duelled with Moritz and Imbecile from dii.net I am tempted to say that zerk is the main danger, ww can be "negated" by block and bone armor, if you don't block berzerk you are as good as dead :wink3:

Throttle

Mar 13, 2005
Denmark
very very close. But thats not the point.

How is that not the point? I said that you need optimal equipment to have over 2k life, and you somehow argued against me by saying that your necro has over 2k life with optimal equipment.

In terms of stats, life, block etc., a poisonmancer is almost the same as a bonemancer. I don't need to make a new necro who is identical to one of the several that I already have except for the skillset to know what kind of numbers you get. If you don't have optimal or near-optimal (the right runewords, uniques and rares socketed with the correct jewels/runes, life and fhr skillers, anni, torch etc.) then you might find yourself with less than 2k life. I consider 2k life the absolute minimum to safely bring into a duel, so I warned players not to attempt to make a poisonmancer (or bonemancer, for that matter) if they can't achieve this without sacrificing other things.

Besides, I actually do have a poisonmancer, I just don't play him much because he was made back when I didn't have the kind of items I have now, and because I prefer other builds.

Throttle

Mar 13, 2005
Denmark
PSN nec doesn't use bone armor? I would say that bone armor is crucial vs melee.

The poison skills give no synergies to bone armor, so a poisonmancer's bone armor won't be nearly as strong as a bonemancer's. Some do use it; some poisonmancers don't, or choose to just keep it as a 1-pointer instead and spend the points on something else, such as summoning skills.

The poison skills give no synergies to bone armor, so a poisonmancer's bone armor won't be nearly as strong as a bonemancer's. Some do use it; some poisonmancers don't, or choose to just keep it as a 1-pointer instead and spend the points on something else, such as summoning skills.

exactly, for using bone armor for real, you need 41 points, 1point for bonearmor and the 40 for the synergy -> wich counts as well as synergie for the other bone spells.

vs. meelys just dont get hit :eek:)
@ mike, make a ladder char and you can try it out on me :thumbsup:

and spirit > stormshield, i think the only critical fights are vs. bowamas and fho'ers.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but, i can't kill anything in PvP. Anyone can help me here? I'm partially PvM but mostly PvP.

Here is my skills:
20 poison nova
20 poison explosion
20 poison dagger
+req
20 bone wall
1 bone armor

1 skellies
1 skellies mastery
1 golem masterie
1 summon res
1 clay golem
1 all curses except Dim vision, confuse and attract.

Here is my gear (not finish tho)

2-2 Deathweb with 5/-5 in it (2-2, -52 psn res)
Enigma (or 46% Bramble)
Shako (ISO: Gg necro circlet)
3 PnB ammy (ISO: Gg necro ammy!!)
Pdiamond' Homunculus
Trang Gloves
Arach
RavenFrost (cannot be frozen +20dex)
NagelRing (ISO: gg ring)
Sandstorm Trek
2x 12fhr skiller
14 life skiller
6 plain skiller
Anny
Torch
4x5fhr + minor res
CTA + Spirit on switch

With all my gear on, I have these stats:
Level 90
163 str
197 Dex (max block)
357 Vit
82 Energy

1610 Life (with bo)
669 mana (with bo)

7k-8k nova dmg (with enigma + 3 skiller, anni, torch)
I do 10k-11k with bramble + full skiller. I do 8k-9k without bramble and full skiller!
-61 all res

My res arent max at all:
4 fire res
41 cold
0 light
43 psn

I've followed this guide, but still, i'm disappointed !

After all these godly, i can't kill anyone in PvP. I think i lack in FCR. Can anyone help me here cauz i'm really frustrated after all these efforts. I want that poison nec to work! Anyone got a video to show me how u kill ppl ? (technique)

Thx!

Uncle_Mike

D2 PvP Moderator
Jul 31, 2003
"O'Neill's Empire" Warsaw
Visit site
exactly, for using bone armor for real, you need 41 points, 1point for bonearmor and the 40 for the synergy -> wich counts as well as synergie for the other bone spells.

vs. meelys just dont get hit :eek:)
@ mike, make a ladder char and you can try it out on me :thumbsup:

and spirit > stormshield, i think the only critical fights are vs. bowamas and fho'ers.

My psn nec is currently stripped but I am quite sure my bone armor absorbed around 500 dmg and helped a lot vs melee (it was a max block nec).

As for the need for max block, I am surprised that you didn't list barbs as a major threat.

Given the low range of poison nova it isn't that easy not to get hit vs quick lockers.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but, i can't kill anything in PvP. Anyone can help me here? I'm partially PvM but mostly PvP.

Here is my skills:
20 poison nova
20 poison explosion
20 poison dagger
+req
20 bone wall
1 bone armor

1 skellies
1 skellies mastery
1 golem masterie
1 summon res
1 clay golem
1 all curses except Dim vision, confuse and attract.

Here is my gear (not finish tho)

2-2 Deathweb with 5/-5 in it (2-2, -52 psn res)
Enigma (or 46% Bramble)
Shako (ISO: Gg necro circlet)
3 PnB ammy (ISO: Gg necro ammy!!)
Pdiamond' Homunculus
Trang Gloves
Arach
RavenFrost (cannot be frozen +20dex)
NagelRing (ISO: gg ring)
Sandstorm Trek
2x 12fhr skiller
14 life skiller
6 plain skiller
Anny
Torch
4x5fhr + minor res
CTA + Spirit on switch

With all my gear on, I have these stats:
Level 90
163 str
197 Dex (max block)
357 Vit
82 Energy

1610 Life (with bo)
669 mana (with bo)

7k-8k nova dmg (with enigma + 3 skiller, anni, torch)
I do 10k-11k with bramble + full skiller. I do 8k-9k without bramble and full skiller!
-61 all res

My res arent max at all:
4 fire res
41 cold
0 light
43 psn

I've followed this guide, but still, i'm disappointed !

After all these godly, i can't kill anyone in PvP. I think i lack in FCR. Can anyone help me here cauz i'm really frustrated after all these efforts. I want that poison nec to work! Anyone got a video to show me how u kill ppl ? (technique)

Thx!

Your life is very low, my welfare psn nec had around 2200 life with rather low skillers and crappy small charms at level 90.

The biggest problem I've experienced on a psn nec was getting good fhr with mediocre gear if you go for max block (I did) and thus lose the spirit monarch. In order to achieve 86% fhr (which is the recommended breakpoint) i was forced to use shadowdancers (30 fhr) and 3 or 4 fhr skillers.

I would also say that 125 fcr breakpoint is not just a good thing, it's a must. It helps both with escaping locks and with drive by psn-nova laying.

Given your resistances I would definitely give up using Dweb and get a wizzy instead, 50 fcr and 75% res all are just amazing.

Get some fcr rings with sought after mods such as life, dex, mana, resistances, etc. My psn nec had over 1k mana when I still played him. As for your current nagelring almost any ring will work better :smiley:

Don't use bramble, use enigma - mobility is king these days.

I'd go for a crafted amulet or with mara's kaleidoscope since it would boost your battle orders by two levels which is a good thing :) Shako isn't bad but when you aim at 125 fcr it will most likely have to be replaced by a fcr circlet in the max block setup.

Stormshield is the choice of shield for when you face melee, max block itself is nice, max block with 40+dr is much better, I used a ber'ed storm.

The verdict :laugh: Your life is low and you have horrible resistances which is probably why you don't kill too many people in games - it's quite possible that you get 1hit pk'ed by a high dmg hammer or fireball while your damage needs a short while to kill. I bet ES based sorcs cry a lot when you enter though :jig:

Also, you don't seem to mention fire golem, if you have one summoned you can aurakill others after you got them to 1 life with novas.