• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Polearms or Spears?

ScotchDm

Aug 14, 2005
FL
Polearms or Spears?

I have been thinkin about a Barbarian build lately, with its combat style built upon the idea of using lance like weapons and Leap/leap attack to close the distance between himself and his foes, to of course keep ranged enemies and spell casters out of his hair. I always test my builds in single player before I even start them online to see how they go, however I think if I have a question or two awnsered here it would save me even more time in my tests.

I read somewhere that spears arent that great of a choice, and that has me worrying a little about my build. So what about polearms? I dont think the range is quite as much, but bleh. I dont know.

I would appreciate it if someone would give explain to me their experience with either weapon class, and list the pro's and con's of each if of course the individual(s) in question dont mind.

---Thanx

Omikron8

Jun 28, 2003
Depends on your weapon availabilty

Only reasonable late game spear choices are arloc's needle, BoTD ethereal warpike/ghost spear, upgraded hone sundan, or maybe steel pillar.

For polearms there are even less choices, tomb reaver, BoTD ethereal great poleaxe, or ethereal bonehew (regular bonehew scratches hell multiplayer enemies).

The best spears are significantly slower than the best polearms (except ghost spear which requires a ton of dex, something a two handed barb does NOT want to at a high value)

A barbarian is only as good as his weapon :)

Epsilon Eyez

Feb 17, 2005
Cally Fahnia
awesome.atspace.org
The weapons certainly have range, and are more powerful, at that. The best builds to compliment the range of the weapons are probably Berserk, Leap Attack, and possibly Whirlwind.

The disadvantage is that while godly swords, axes, and maces are readily available, polearms are rare, and spears are much rarer, from what I've seen. However, running around with a Polearm or Spear barb definitely called for big style points, especially when wielding a Cryptic Axe or Ghost Spear (the best looking weapons ever concieved, in my opinion).

ScotchDm

Aug 14, 2005
FL
heh

lol Aiight. Well I guess Im in it for the fashion then. This isnt really to serious of a build; sort of my introduction to Babarians. I'm used to playing spellcasters and what not. Thanks! I'll see how it goes.

Omikron8

Jun 28, 2003
Yep can't beat an ethereal botd great poleaxe for a 2 handed baba. It has the best balance of speed, damage and requirements