• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Poisonmancer merc?

Etemenanki

Mar 2, 2004
Well, I hate to answer my own question, but I just got to thinking that Holy Freeze would conflict with my prerogative of using CE.

chickenhed

Jun 26, 2003
Etemenanki said:
Well, I hate to answer my own question, but I just got to thinking that Holy Freeze would conflict with my prerogative of using CE.

IIRC, holy freeze does not shatter every enemy. I dont remember exactly the percent chance, but Im almost sure its not 100%. That being the case, I think I would still use a HF merc for a frail daggermancer.

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator
Jun 24, 2003
In a cave
Visit site
chickenhed said:
IIRC, holy freeze does not shatter every enemy. I dont remember exactly the percent chance, but Im almost sure its not 100%. That being the case, I think I would still use a HF merc for a frail daggermancer.

The percentage is around 40 IIRC.

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
Still causes enemies to shatter far too often for my taste. Prayer + Insight works nicely for the double prayer rate. It won't save you in a nasty situation but you do recover health fast between fights. Defiance is great for helping out against physical attacks. I prefer to have skeletons with my poisonmancers so I usually go for Blessed Aim and Might mercs.

Dadaravager

Jan 29, 2005
Toronto
CE will not be crimped with a Freeze merc, except maybe in Act 5 caverns where the monsters are more quality than quantity).

But one can only pump up vitality so far. In hell, a putrid necro has to get up close to stab, and stay near to nova. The poisonmancer will get hit a lot before his poison takes its toll.

A defiance merc, together with dexterity-supported blocking, will allow our mephitic characters to prevail.

Dadaravager