• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Poison Dagger and Poison Gem/Rune

Potatoempn

Apr 8, 2018
I picked DII back up after like 3 years of not playing it.
I wanted to make a Necro who uses Skeles and Poison Dagger.
I have a dagger with two sockets in it, and I was thinking to put two poison gems or maybe even two poison runes in it....does that apply when using the Poison Dagger spell, or would the gems only apply their poison damage with a regular basic attack?

Namtar

May 1, 2012
Seattle
https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Guide:Calculating_Poison_Damage_v1.10,_by_onderduiker

In summary, when using Poison Dagger, poison damage from items and charms front-loads poison damage so more of it shows up sooner, but the poison doesn't last as long and so the total damage is lower. But if the necromancer also has the assassin's Venom skill from an item, then all of that goes out the window and more poison is just more poison.

Although you can use Poison Dagger without Venom, I'd highly recommend getting a source of Venom. It's a pretty big difference. In your case, that probably entails the Treachery runeword in your body armor. Eventually, you'll want a better dagger too.

For your current dagger, you probably don't want poison damage in your sockets.

Reactions: Potatoempn

Potatoempn

Apr 8, 2018
https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Guide:Calculating_Poison_Damage_v1.10,_by_onderduiker

In summary, when using Poison Dagger, poison damage from items and charms front-loads poison damage so more of it shows up sooner, but the poison doesn't last as long and so the total damage is lower. But if the necromancer also has the assassin's Venom skill from an item, then all of that goes out the window and more poison is just more poison.

Although you can use Poison Dagger without Venom, I'd highly recommend getting a source of Venom. It's a pretty big difference. In your case, that probably entails the Treachery runeword in your body armor. Eventually, you'll want a better dagger too.

For your current dagger, you probably don't want poison damage in your sockets.

I appreciate the help with this. I always just liked the poison damage in the game. I got my first ever Diablo Kill as a Bear Druid with a spear that had 3 sockets filled with those poison runes and a couple of charms with more poison damage lol. I walked up and slapped diablo with a big ol bear paw about 12 times and he died.

Noodle

Jul 18, 2003
Noodle Compound
Oh, man, if you love poison damage, you would love a Plague Javelin Amazon. Even Act 3 is fun, running forward until there are a bunch of flayers, throw a single javelin, run away, then walk back to collect all the loot. MASSIVE poison damage.

Reactions: Namtar

Namtar

May 1, 2012
Seattle
Both are fun options for poison, but they play very differently. Poison Daggger necromancer tends to run around poisoning each monster individually and then blow them all up with Corpse Explosion once the mob is sufficiently weakened from poison. Plague Javelin amazon doesn't get Lower Resist to curb poison resistances, but can fill the whole screen up with clouds of death and then switch to a backup skill to deal with poison-resistant monsters. My own Poison/Plague Javelin amazon has both Charged Strike and Jab as backup options, so nothing in the game has enough immunities to really withstand her.