• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Please HELP!!!

Senor Bezeer

Mar 5, 2005
Please HELP!!!

My freind is staying over at my house and we want to play some D2 together. We have 3 different cd keys and three different computers. We want to play on 2/3 and for some reason we keep getting temp bans on Bnet. The computers are wireless, does make any difference. Also neither of us have ever used 3rd party programs. This is my freinds first time playing online and we really just wanna play. Can anyone help?

SBezeer

jantsa87

Feb 24, 2005
check out the arreat summit, they just put a post up about banning like 38,000 CD keys for using hacks. If u've been using any hacks lately that could be the prob (hope not though, it sucks to lose a cd key)

Orphan

May 23, 2004
What do you mean you get temp bans? What's the error that you get? Are the computers connected through a router, or through Internet Connection Sharing?

Senor Bezeer

Mar 5, 2005
Orphan said:
What do you mean you get temp bans? What's the error that you get? Are the computers connected through a router, or through Internet Connection Sharing?

Through a router. Will that make any difference? I have done it before, but now we just hooked up a third comp. and thats when we started to have the problems. I will post a screen shot of the message in a bit.

check out the arreat summit, they just put a post up about banning like 38,000 CD keys for using hacks. If u've been using any hacks lately that could be the prob (hope not though, it sucks to lose a cd key)

AS I stated in my previous post neither of us have used 3rd party programs (ie. hack) We can both play seperately but when trying to play at the same time or in the same game we get disconnected and cant log in for 5min (the temperary ban).

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Ok, the person trying to enter the game gets this:
my.php

and the person in the game gets the standard connection interupted screen.
After trying to re-enter we get this screen
my.php

and if we restart we get a totally different screen but ill see if i can get a screen of that one.
Double Edit: I think it has been narrowed down to a bandwidth problem but ill see.

NecroWraith

Jul 21, 2004
connection sharing?...

Senor Bezeer said:
Through a router. Will that make any difference? I have done it before, but now we just hooked up a third comp. and thats when we started to have the problems. I will post a screen shot of the message in a bit.

AS I stated in my previous post neither of us have used 3rd party programs (ie. hack) We can both play seperately but when trying to play at the same time or in the same game we get disconnected and cant log in for 5min (the temperary ban).

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Ok, the person trying to enter the game gets this:
my.php

and the person in the game gets the standard connection interupted screen.
After trying to re-enter we get this screen
my.php

and if we restart we get a totally different screen but ill see if i can get a screen of that one.
Double Edit: I think it has been narrowed down to a bandwidth problem but ill see.

Diablo II LOD and StarCraft are not ment to have a shared connection set up. Hence the reason why the temp bans happen. There is a page from Blizzard support site that can reduce this by changing a few settings to your router. The problem comes from when infromation is sent to battlenet it reads your commands then sends them back, since their are three different systems it gets confused due to the fact its send all the information from three systems to the same IP address. Anyways while in Washington state this was happening to me also. The support page that suggested the setting change was helpful by reducing the temp bans, but once in a while one of us would lag really bad durning certain acts. (not sure which ones since its been over a year) Anways check the support site from blizzard. Its somewhere there, but i just cant remember what the address is off hand.. Plus it will give you some insight to IP address and router settings.

superdave

Mar 14, 2004
please don't ban me.
www.abbasite.com
Senor Bezeer said:
My freind is staying over at my house and we want to play some D2 together. We have 3 different cd keys and three different computers. We want to play on 2/3 and for some reason we keep getting temp bans on Bnet. The computers are wireless, does make any difference. Also neither of us have ever used 3rd party programs. This is my freinds first time playing online and we really just wanna play. Can anyone help?

SBezeer
are you letting your friend use a character on the same account as yours?
if you are both in the lobby at the same time you will be booted

Orphan

May 23, 2004
NecroWraith, what you say about Starcraft is sort of true. People will experience extreme lag if two people sharing the same internet connection (either through a Router, or ICS) are in the same game. If I remember correctly, I believe they can both join seperate games. The only way that I know of whereby two people sharing the same Internet connection can play Starcraft is if they purchase a second IP address from their ISP.

Diablo 2, however, has no problems allowing users who share Internet connections to play online. Me and my friend do it all the time, every day. We've done nothing special to our router, besides opening the correct ports, of course.

Senor Bezeer, so both you and your friend are connected the router? Although I can't verify this at the moment, but I believe that unlike ICS (whereby only one computer needs to have the ports open) if both of you are connected to the router, both of you will need to make sure the appropriate ports are open in the router.

The router will give your computers an IP address (something like 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, etc). Make sure that his computers IP has the appropriate ports open on the router.

Senor Bezeer

Mar 5, 2005
Orphan said:
NecroWraith, what you say about Starcraft is sort of true. People will experience extreme lag if two people sharing the same internet connection (either through a Router, or ICS) are in the same game. If I remember correctly, I believe they can both join seperate games. The only way that I know of whereby two people sharing the same Internet connection can play Starcraft is if they purchase a second IP address from their ISP.

Diablo 2, however, has no problems allowing users who share Internet connections to play online. Me and my friend do it all the time, every day. We've done nothing special to our router, besides opening the correct ports, of course.

Senor Bezeer, so both you and your friend are connected the router? Although I can't verify this at the moment, but I believe that unlike ICS (whereby only one computer needs to have the ports open) if both of you are connected to the router, both of you will need to make sure the appropriate ports are open in the router.

The router will give your computers an IP address (something like 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, etc). Make sure that his computers IP has the appropriate ports open on the router.

Thanks, Im pretty sure it is a bandwidth problem, because as we shut down other computers (using the same internet connection) We could play together. Thanks for the help we are back on track :clap:

Orphan

May 23, 2004
Man, how many computers do you have accessing the Internet? :p

With broadband, you should be able to have pretty good speeds regardless, even with upwards of 5 or so computers all accessing the Internet (unless one of them has a file sharing program installed).

Anyway, good to hear your back up and running now. :thumbsup:

NecroWraith

Jul 21, 2004
Orphan said:

Depending on the router it can make a difference Orphan. Neither Diablo, Diablo II, or LOD use NAT like WarCraft3 and WOW does, and these are currently the only games that Blizz puts out that use this method as far as I know (could be wrong about WOW since it just came out recently and I havent got a chance to buy a copy). What I do know, is Linksys does have a a problem with SC and DII and LOD sharing a connection and some others too. Cant think of all there names since the list is large. He may not have an issue with two computer sharing a connection but when it comes to three or more the router would be violating its internal rules so to speak. Depending on how, and by who it was programmed.
Anyways heres a bit on why some games have problems such as SC and DII and LOD on certain router makes.
"Computers on the internal network can only "see" internal ip addresses. So computers on the internal network can not send data directly to a computer outside of the network. When a computer on the network wants to send data to a computer outside of the network, it sends the data to the gateway. Remember the gateway is the internal ip address of the router. The router then takes this data and sends it out to the computer on the internet. The router sends the data out of the external ip address. The same thing is true of computers on the internet. A computer outside of the network can not "see" a computer inside of the network. They can only "see" and send data to the external ip address of the router. The router must then decide what to do with this data. Lucky for us NAT takes care of most of the work for us. There are some programs that NAT was not designed to work with, those are the programs we need to set up port forwarding for. Okay take a deep breath! We are on to port forwarding.

Now that you understand the general concepts of a network, explaining port forwarding is easy. When a computer on the internet sends data to the external ip address of the router, the router needs to know what to do with the data. Port Forwarding simply tells the router which computer on the local area network to send the data to. When you have port forwarding rules set up, your router takes the data off of the external ip address:port number and sends that data to an internal ip address:port number. Port Forwarding rules are created per port. So a rule set up for port 53 will only work for port 53.
A port can only be used by one program at a time! Think of how this rule interacts with NAT. Well you've only got one external ip address on your router. When computer 1 is using port 500, it is using port 500 on it's internal ip address. If you have set up a port forwarding rule for computer 1 and port 500, the external ip address's port 500 is also in use. This means that you can only use port 500 on one computer on the network at a time. Using port 500 on two computers at the same time would violate the one program rule, and your data would get messed up. Most routers require you to specify an internal ip address to forward ports to, just for this reason.Some do not, so be aware of this. Port Forwarding rules will only work for one computer at a time!Some do not, so be aware of this. Port Forwarding rules will only work for one computer at a time! Some do not, so be aware of this. Port Forwarding rules will only work for one computer at a time!

Heres the link to where i found this information. Plus alot on how forwarding works and why it is required by some routers. This site also has helpful FAQs to most routers from the looks of it.http://www.portforward.com/help/portforwarding.htm

From what I have read about NAT this would not be an issue no matter what type of router a person is using in their home network.

Also from the Blizzard Support site itself..

"I’m unable to play on a Battle.net server from more than one of my LAN's machines"

Page 1 of 1

"Unless you have arranged for your internet service provider to provide you with a second IP address, chances are your computers are sharing an internet connection, and thus an internet IP address. Neither Diablo, Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition, nor StarCraft support multiple computers with the same internet IP address connecting to the same game on Battle.net. Battle.net is unable to split the game data between the two computers effectively in these cases. You may be able to contact your internet service provider to get an additional IP address to solve this problem.

If you do have multiple external ip addresses, you may need to configure your router and/or firewall in order to work with Battle.net. We have information for many popular Firewalls, Proxies, and Routers in our Networking Help section. If your Firewall, Proxy, and/or Router are not listed please contact the manufacturer for more information on configuring it to work with Battle.net. The information you may need to provide them is listed here.

http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=adt0692p

Now I realize that its says Diablo and not D2 or LOD, but the same information is given for all three Diablo games..

Anyways.. was just trying to help the guy out as were you. Would have been more helpful for everyone if the make of the router was stated and what OS or type Computer he was using. Just shooting from the hip i guess :p

Orphan

May 23, 2004
I'm unclear as to why you decided to give me a history on how routers work (unless you were aiming that at someone else). It brought up alot of .. less than fun .. memories of my teacher back at Uni, when I had learnt this sort of thing back there :)

Anyway, we both agree that Starcraft does not support NAT. We also agree that War3 does. I guess what we differ on is whether D2 does (or, probably more accurately, how well D2 does)?

It's my understanding that D2 doesn't have any problems with Internet connection sharing (at least not as bad a Starcraft), short of having to forward ports, of course. Personally, I've had 4 computers all on D2 at the same time through my router (the max my router can have), and I've done nothing special.

I have read conflicting reports on D2's support for NAT, though. Blizzards Port Page seems to only state "Warcraft III is the only Blizzard Title that currently supports multiple players hosting games behind NAT", but Diabloii.net's technical page says "Because Diablo II supports NAT (Network Address Translation), Windows Second Edition works great ...".

I actually sent an email to Blizzard asking for some information, but have yet to get an answer, hence the long time for this reply :/

My main point I was trying to get across was that D2 and Starcraft are not in the same boat when it comes to computers that share Internet connections.