• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Pit running on a Poisoner without a Death's Web?

Decker

Jun 22, 2003
www.nmebase.net
Pit running on a Poisoner without a Death's Web?

Anyone have any experience trying to run Pits and/or any other areas to MF with a Death's Webless Poison Necro? I'm at level 8 with mine right now and am feeling the wrath of a temp ban at the moment.

I've got a Shako and I could get a Spirit Sword/Shield for him and perhaps some other mediocre stuff but for the most part he's untwinked [Ladder]. I made a boo boo and tossed the only Ist rune I had into an open socketed Bonehew, so that doesn't leave much room for super good equipment.

Anyway, obvisouly this will have no Enigma and I've had no experience with an Enigma and DWebless Poisoner though my experience with having both made me love the class. Since I'm only level 8, I'm still open to changing class to something like a pure Dex Bowazon for running the Pits instead. Suggestions, opinions, etc?

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator
Jun 24, 2003
In a cave
Visit site
Decker said:
Anyone have any experience trying to run Pits and/or any other areas to MF with a Death's Webless Poison Necro?

In the past there have been a few threads on this. In the Pit you don’t really need D-web since things don’t have Poison immunity. Just LR and Three piece Trang should be enough to quickly wipe out the Pit. Alternatively just LR should be sufficient, albeit a bit slower.

Without good gear I wouldn't try running the rest of Hell with a Poisonmancer.

Decker

Jun 22, 2003
www.nmebase.net
Alright, thanks.

Chances are I won't even attempt getting past Act 1 until he's got good equipment anyway as his main purpose for the time being will be simply pit running.

Evrae Altana

Aug 13, 2005
Rubby Ducky
I've cleared out the Chaos Sanctuary in Hell with my poison necro with little problems, and he also does not have a Death's Web. So pit runs with a Webless poison necro should be no problem at all.

leddan

Jun 22, 2003
www.GamingEmbassy.com
I used my 1.10 Poison/SkellyMancer to actually rush in hell, do mf runs & pit run. Skellys & merc provided a nice meat shield while lower resist/Nova did more than its fiar share of damage also. Hit a poison immune pack? No problem. What the skellys/merc & amplify damage is for. Worked great with decent gear.

Cdnexpat

Jan 29, 2005
Busan ROK
How about getting the runes for Treachery, they are more attainable than Death's web at the moment and combined with Trang's gloves would give you a good poison boost.

Edit and fade would help your resists too.

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
If you're putting the extra points into summons and have other decent gear, I think it's a viable build without D-Web. Try playing as a skellimancer first but once you've got 1 in mastery, 20 in RS, and 1 in Summon Resists CE and Amp, start building for poison. The 1/20 skellimancer setup should get you pretty far if you prebuff with decent gear and once you get those gloves on the first time your poison will get a nice boost. If you prebuff well, the skeletons are survivable enough to hold off immunes long enough for your merc to kill one so you can start CEing. I went with a summoner first for my new ladder character because I wanted to get some juicier stuff before going poison though.

Cdnexpat said:
How about getting the runes for Treachery, they are more attainable than Death's web at the moment and combined with Trang's gloves would give you a good poison boost.

Edit and fade would help your resists too.

Treachery does nothing for Nova. It only works with P-Dagger.

nightaswz

Jun 27, 2003
Would max block be advisable for the 1/20 hybrid? I sometimes run ahead of my army cause they're usually too slow, which is one of the reasons why im dying. Other times its because enemies approach me from behind while my frontline of skeles is engaged with other enemies. That and my free 125-130 stat points. However, max block with a 60% trang shield seems all to much. If i placed all my endgear on (godly items =D) and had all my points distributed to vit after enough points in strength, would max block even be needed? If so, would an edge bow help me in the meanwhile? It gives my skeles vigor to make it run faster so perhaps that will help.

Edit - At around 90, i will need 240 dex for max block. That sounds a bit harsh.

Total Blocking = [(Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)]

(60 * (x - 15)) / (90 X 2) = 75
60 * (x - 15) = 13500
x - 15 = 225
x = 240

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
I'd recommend not running ahead of your army. :D

Seriously though even with block, that's still going to get you killed. I'd forget sometimes and take a hit. Even with a full vitamancer, taking a hell cow hit because you decided to get fancy is a serious wakeup call. I think I would only go the block route if I was going to be using dagger a lot or was planning on PvPing where 60% is all that stands between you and melee death.

In Hell, you should be too busy cursing and novaing to run ahead anyway. Monsters are freaking everywhere. It doesn't take long to get to them. I run ahead of the pack in normal all the time, NM some of the time, but rarely in Hell.

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
Sigh... I remember my first and only DWeb... The guy I randomly gave it to on nonladder sure appreciated it. :D It is a huge boost. If you're playing ladder try and trade for one early while people are still desperate for stuff that will be worth PGems a couple months from now. DWeb is way undervalued on the USEast price guide atm.