• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Physical Immunes?

Comage

May 22, 2004
Singapore
Physical Immunes?

I'm playing with a Fishymancer, and I'm currently stuck in this deadlock situation in Hell Countess Tower.

There's this unique monster "Stone Break The Howler" which stays PI even after I case amp on it. I tried putting one point into Lower Resist and casting it as well, but it doesn't help either.

I'm at clvl76 now, and my merc with my 9 skellies and clay golem are not even scraping the blood off this bugger. They don't die either because the monster doesn't do much damage either.

Any advice on this situation?

Tarr

Jul 8, 2003
Pure fishy? No poison or bone attack? You might be screwed. :lol: If you have Revive, you have skeletal mage, you could always try going to make some of those, casting LR on him, and hope for the best. If not, well, yes, you're screwed, park him. :)

PsionicAngel

Jun 23, 2003
Heaven
Visit site
Unless your merc is equipped with a high elemental damage weapon, there is nothing much you can do, except leaving the monster there. If you have spare skill points, you could always invest in a bone spell, either bone spear or bone spirit.

Hope it helps :)

Firvagor

Jul 7, 2005
NH, USA
Decrepify usually (if not always) breaks physical immunities. Cast that and let your minions hack at it. Just don't cast any other curses.

MoonUnit

Jul 21, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
I think he means that it stays PI even with amp on, prolly a boss ghost with stone skin 100+ physical resistance. Either a merc with good ele damage, bone/poison, or ce would work i suppose. If ya can't kill it just park it.

Firvagor

Jul 7, 2005
NH, USA
Decrepify still works. The "immune to physical" words below the name disappear, so he's no longer PI. It'll be a little easier, but might take a while.

Gohanman

Jun 23, 2003
Firvagor said:
Decrepify still works. The "immune to physical" words below the name disappear, so he's no longer PI. It'll be a little easier, but might take a while.

Sorry, but this is completely wrong. Amplify Damage removes more physical resistance than Decrepify. If Amp doesn't break it, Decrep definitely will not. If it still says immune, it still is immune. End of story.

Dealing with unbreakables? CE helps. You could revive something(s) with elemental damage. Or you could just move on and let the one monster live.

jrlafrance

Nov 29, 2004
California, USA
Taken from Arreat Summit:

Amplify Damage
Required Level: 1
Prerequisites: None

Effect: Increases the amount of damage received.

Amplify Damage lowers monster Physical Resistances by 100%. It will also remove the Immune to Physical on Monsters.

Amplify Damage allows you to quickly finish enemies off. You find Amplify Damage useful on any monsters you or your minions want to kill FAST such as Unique Bosses, Champions, Monsters that raise other Monsters such as Mummies, or any monsters that might give you a hard time.

Use Amplify Damage in parties with other players and in situations where you're doing more damage to the enemy than they are doing to you.

Does Amplify Damage work on spell damage as well as physical damage?
No, only Physical Damage.

Does Amplify Damage work with Corpse Explosion?
Partially. Corpse Explosion does 50% Physical damage and 50% Fire damage.

Decrepify
Required Level: 24
Prerequisites: Weaken [6], Terror [12]

This curse gives the victim a glimpse of his own mortality, briefly aging the victim. Imagining itself with an infirm body of advanced age, the afflicted believes it is no longer capable of youthful exertions.

Effect: Target's Speed, Damage and Physical Resistance -50%

Decrepify also slows the attack (except missiles from monsters), reduces the damage output of monsters and makes monsters more susceptibile to physical damage.

In reference to the first skill, are there monsters with more than 200% Resistance to anything? If not, then Amplify Damage should take Immune to Physical off the monster description.

Tarr

Jul 8, 2003
jrlafrance said:
Taken from Arreat Summit:

Amplify Damage
Required Level: 1
Prerequisites: None

Effect: Increases the amount of damage received.

Amplify Damage lowers monster Physical Resistances by 100%. It will also remove the Immune to Physical on Monsters.

Amplify Damage allows you to quickly finish enemies off. You find Amplify Damage useful on any monsters you or your minions want to kill FAST such as Unique Bosses, Champions, Monsters that raise other Monsters such as Mummies, or any monsters that might give you a hard time.

Use Amplify Damage in parties with other players and in situations where you're doing more damage to the enemy than they are doing to you.

Does Amplify Damage work on spell damage as well as physical damage?
No, only Physical Damage.

Does Amplify Damage work with Corpse Explosion?
Partially. Corpse Explosion does 50% Physical damage and 50% Fire damage.

Decrepify
Required Level: 24
Prerequisites: Weaken [6], Terror [12]

This curse gives the victim a glimpse of his own mortality, briefly aging the victim. Imagining itself with an infirm body of advanced age, the afflicted believes it is no longer capable of youthful exertions.

Effect: Target's Speed, Damage and Physical Resistance -50%

Decrepify also slows the attack (except missiles from monsters), reduces the damage output of monsters and makes monsters more susceptibile to physical damage.

In reference to the first skill, are there monsters with more than 200% Resistance to anything? If not, then Amplify Damage should take Immune to Physical off the monster description.

There are a very few monsters in hell, which are naturally PI, that when also stone skin, remain PI even with amp. Our thread starter had his first run in with such a monster :)

jrlafrance

Nov 29, 2004
California, USA
Tarr said:
There are a very few monsters in hell, which are naturally PI, that when also stone skin, remain PI even with amp. Our thread starter had his first run in with such a monster :)
I haven't looked at all PI monster stats, but I assumed that they all were Stone Skin (at least thats what it seemed like when I Pat'd my WW barb). Maybe I just got a bad roll with him. :rolleyes:

Hoop76

Jun 27, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
If this is 1.11, how about going and hiring a HF merc, or an act 3 elemental one Since you should be able to get your merc rehired after your done if you wanted too. Dont know how much Cold a HF merc does though, but since you should be able to get a merc at least level 75 that should be enough, but may take a little while.

Ulanji

May 3, 2004
Or you could start a new game... he will disappear of course. :D

It's funny, I don't ever hear about people maxing both skellie and skellie mage. Probably because the mages block the grunts in tight spaces. While this is true, only parts of the game are in tight spaces, and you haven't lived until you've seen a necro Uberhorde go toe-to-toe with the Cows in hell. :lol: It's like watching Braveheart. Like 40 evil cattle spread out in a line of battle extending across the screen from end-to-end. Their foes--12 mighty skeleton grunts, 15 resurrected cows, backed up by a sparkling row of 12 artillery mages, with the merc blowing the Horn of Might, the Fire Golem exploding randomly a-la Spinal Tap, and the Hordeleader's wimpy little bone spirits tottering in for dramatic effect. FUN!

In other scenarios, you sometimes end up feeling like a rampaging, out-of-control juggernaut of random damage, but then... that's fun too! :lol:

Llathias

Banned
Mar 12, 2005
Turkey
necrolemming said:
IIRC, Amp and Decrep are affected by the same 1/5 penalty that LR and Conv have against immunes. Can anyone confirm this?

If so, monsters only need 120% Phys resist to be unbreakable.
that's what i keep hearing over and over on these boards. i'd assume it's correct. and the 120% Phy. res. is achieved by Physical Immune + Stone Skin.

necrolemming said:
@hoop - The HF won't even do enough damage to overcome regeneration, unless the monster gets slapped with PMH or OW or poison. Even then, it would probably take hours.
my paladin's HF merc (lvl 78) can kill the ghosts in the Countess' Tower solo, but it does take some time (10 sec most for normal Ghosts at p1) and he should be protected from being surrounded.

jrlafrance

Nov 29, 2004
California, USA
necrolemming said:
IIRC, Amp and Decrep are affected by the same 1/5 penalty that LR and Conv have against immunes. Can anyone confirm this?

If so, monsters only need 120% Phys resist to be unbreakable.

@hoop - The HF won't even do enough damage to overcome regeneration, unless the monster gets slapped with PMH or OW or poison. Even then, it would probably take hours.

Pretty convenient I was just reading this in the Statistics forum.

Gogo Thrugg!

Comage

May 22, 2004
Singapore
Tarr said:

I double-checked, and it just so happens that the monster is PI and Stone Skin as well.

I already used CE on him, but it wasn't enough (only had 2 or 3 corpses around the PI). And his health was recovering faster than I could take it off it. And I didn't manage to lure it out to another corner of the tower where plenty of bodies were lying.

I finally managed to take the monster down with 3 skellie mages instead.

3 red pots, 1 blue pot, and a magical spiked shield were all that dropped.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the prompt help you folks have given! :thumbsup: