• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Peculiar question...

Comage

May 22, 2004
Singapore
Peculiar question...

I don't know if this has been answered before, but there's 2 questions in my mind that's been left unanswered for quite some time:

1. Is there any special reason why ethereal items are valued so lowly by the in-game merchants (e.g, Charsi, Larzuk, Fara), despite awesome prefixes/suffixes?

2. The same as above, but for assassin claws.

I'm thinking it may be unanswerable since only the game designers will know, but maybe there might be a reason somebody around here knows? :uhhuh:

Tarr

Jul 8, 2003
Because the game designers, in pretending to balance D2 :rolleyes: decided it would be so. The same reason most white elite and exceptional armors sell for 35k but some uber uniques sell for 6k. Also, assassin claws are high valued if they have +s to skills, like orbs/barb helms etc are. A better question would be why a +2 to assassin skills claw sells for a lot less than one that has +1 to shadow master :)

Apr 19, 2005
Madison, WI
I think that ethereal items sell for less because once they break, they become worthless. Claws (and all the other class-specifics) sell for less because they are useful to a very small number of people. Skill bonuses are so nice that when they appear on class specifics they're still worth money. That's my guess as to the merchants' mentality anyway.

mv

Harleyquin

Apr 12, 2005
I think either the D2 manual or the arreat summit once mentioned that ethereal items sell for less than usual since vendors don't like the non-repair feature. Still I've seen ethereal armour and shields sell for 35000 gold depending on the mods

Comage

May 22, 2004
Singapore
Thanks for all the replies!

I have another question, which I think could be posted here instead of creating another thread:

Pain Thirst
Phase Blade
One-Hand Damage: 61 to 124
Required Dexterity: 136
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 54
Sword Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Indestructible
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 83
Fingerprint: 0x7c9c8863
+97% Enhanced Damage
+17 to Maximum Damage
Adds 18-55 fire damage
+39 to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)
+1303 to Attack Rating (Based on Character Level)

Is this rare item worth keeping? If yes, which character should this be paired with for best results?

phatbrava

Apr 13, 2005
Romania
www.tmbase.ro
Comage said:
Is this rare item worth keeping? If yes, which character should this be paired with for best results?
as Rizzo said, it's %ED is too low
try looking for some 250+ %ED (afaik the ED modifier goes beyond 400)
ideally, it would have 20 IAS as well and some LL
but these kinds of rares are...well...pretty rare :)
just ID every rare weapon you find, you'll come across better ones eventually

but as someone wiser than me once said (cant remember who it was though :)), you know a rare item is good/godly if there isnt a better unique

Comage

May 22, 2004
Singapore
Thanks guys! I think I'll ditch that one.

So I found another after awhile:

Storm Spike
Matriarchal Spear
Two-Hand Damage: 223 to 326
Durability: 15 of 28
(Amazon Only)
Required Dexterity: 142
Required Strength: 114
Required Level: 48
Spear Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 80
Fingerprint: 0xbfca99e3
+244% Enhanced Damage
+39 to Attack Rating
Poison Resist +10%
40% Increased Attack Speed
+1 to Javelin and Spear Skills (Amazon Only)

Seems better? But no LL?

Comage

May 22, 2004
Singapore
Opps sorry. I thought the numbers looked great. I shall compare them with their unique's equivalence next time before asking. :uhhuh:

But then again, what constitutes to a good rare item?

jiansonz

Jun 22, 2003
Malmö, Sweden
Visit site
Comage said:
But then again, what constitutes to a good rare item?

In short, a rare that has at least two (hopefully 3 or 4) of the most desirable affixes. What those are varies a lot between the item types, and what character (or merc) that wants it. For example, a good rare melee merc circlet will have life steal along with a socket or two. Anything of Faster Run, resists, extra life, elemental damage, +STR/DEX will add to its usefulness.

If you are a player who twinks (moves items between characters) you get a lot more picky, since you will have access to many set items, uniques and runewords. Rare circlets will not be as impressive as merc gear if you have Vampire Gaze, Guillaume´s Face, etc.

Rare items hold up to set/unique/runeword items well in some item slots, but not in others. Rare armors and helms (that aren´t circlets or class-specific helms) can as good as never hold up to common runewords or many of the set/uniques, or even plain items with many sockets, but a good pair of rare boots (with, say, 20% MF, 20-30% Faster Run and 2 good resists) will beat all the set/uniques for most character builds. Rare rings, amulets, wands and orbs can also be awesome. Rare gloves and belts can be good, but there are often better potential if you aim for crafted items instead.

After armors and helms, rare weapons intended to fight with are probably the hardest item type to "please" the SPF community with. You will need loads of +%ED, extra speed, etc. to match even the average exceptional uniques.

NeckRomancer

Jun 23, 2003
Philippines
Visit site
These are rares which I would consider useful:

rare circlets and amulets that are of value to me would have:
- for casters: +skills, resists, +life, +mana, +fast cast, 2 sockets
- for melee/ranged attackers: life leech, mana leech, enhanced damage, +skills, resists. for barbs and druids, it has to be better than Arreat's or Jalal's respectively.

rings: life leech, mana leech, +life, +mana, resists

helms and body armor: never mind; nothing will beat the unique and runeword headgear/armors for me :)

belt: 3 resistances of decent values (20+), +life, +mana, +str, +dex, FHR

boots: FRW, resists, MF, FHR

gloves: 20%IAS, life leech, mana leech, +skills (amazon or assassin skill trees), MF, resists

shields: never mind too; nothing beats HoZ for Paladins; for other characters, Stormshield or Rhyme are the favorites

weapons: 340+ ED, 20+IAS, +min dmg, +max dmg, life leech, mana leech, 2 sockets, eth with self-repair
- special : high-ed eth crystal swords or dimensional blades -> can be upgraded to indestructible phase blades

wands and necro heads: +2 to necro skills, +3 to highly-valued necro skills on staffmods

sorc orbs and staves: use uniques

paladin shields: see shields

barb helms: +2 to barb skills, +3 to highly-valued barb skills on staffmods, resists, 2 sockets

druid helms: +2 to druid skills, +3 to highly-valued druid skills on staffmods, resists, 2 sockets

Comage

May 22, 2004
Singapore
Wow ok! Thanks for all the replies guys!

So now I have another question:

What do you guys do with the dozens of magic jewels that drops? Craft them into better jewels with the Cube? There ain't that many crafted items to make either, are there?

Jewel + 3 P Gems ? (Is this correct)

Or do you guys just ditch it when the mods aren't good?

essojay

Jun 26, 2004
NH
I try to keep them for crafting or rolling later (I haven't rolled jewels yet, though) but only when I remember and when I'm not lazy. :lol:

NeckRomancer

Jun 23, 2003
Philippines
Visit site
Magical jewels - I keep magical jewels for crafting. Nef runes drop often enough so I can use these for crafting blood gloves predominantly. I also craft caster amulets/rings and blood rings/weapons when the necessary runes are available. I thought about rerolling magical jewels with the 3 Pgems recipe you mentioned but I read a post somewhere that the return on investment isn't worth it. :( Grand charms seem to be more worthwhile to reroll.

Rare jewels - I used to reroll them but as of now I just stockpile perfect skulls till I can decide what rares to reroll using the six perfect skull + rare item recipe. I just keep a few in my ATMA stash in case I ever decide to reroll rare jewels, and these are the ones with high ilvls just in case it matters. The rest I use for crafting.