• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

OT: You Gotta Hear This

Underdawg

Jul 4, 2005
W
OT: You Gotta Hear This

Oh Man. What is it with this new flood of people suddenly coming to the forums? I heard this one guy say that using the /players command was a cheat!!!

I was like oh boy... I am sorry but I just do not think it is a cheat as it has been implemented in the game specifically for SPers and it was said on an earlier patch I forgot which one.

essojay

Jun 26, 2004
NH
Some of those new players could be the people who got their CD keys banned for using MH on bnet ... a bit rich of them to call /players cheating, eh?

Vargas

Sep 14, 2004
Brazil
Yes, I have heard that in RL one time, from a guy who wasn't able even to finish DII vanilla normal... I, for one, consider /p8 legit game, and I think that we have a consensus here in the SPF about this. Anyway, I understand your pain :p .

Underdawg

Jul 4, 2005
W
I know it is legit because Blizzard said so in a patch so that ends it. Case Closed.

Whew, finally some closure. :lol:

Underdawg

Jul 4, 2005
W
AHHHHH A DISBELIEVER!!!! AN INFIDEL!!!!! BELIEVE OR BE CONVERTED BY MY LVL 20 CONVERT!1!1!!one!11!!!1!11 :rolleyes:

I don't want to argue anymore... :lol:

Tarr

Jul 8, 2003
The mass maphack ban from b.net is just another Blizzard move that the SPF is going to hurt from.

TheNix

Jun 23, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
The Bnet people I know say playersX is cheesy, if not a cheat. According to them, Bnet is the only way to play D2, the game must be played MP and the playersX command give an unfair advantage to those who play SP. I told a friend recently that I was working on my last character in my class grail and she said, "it's easy on SP, if you want a real challange try it on Bnet." and she was serious.

Pier

Jul 1, 2003
Serdash said:
When you get down to straight technicalities of it, it kind of is a "cheat code", if you will.

But, hell. It's just SP, right? :teeth:

Why is making something more difficult for you, a cheat?

A cheat does exactly the opposite...

Grr pIER

Bert

Apr 18, 2005
Belgium
Pier said:
Why is making something more difficult for you, a cheat?

A cheat does exactly the opposite...

Grr pIER

It makes stuff harder but the drops are better right?

Well, on Bnet, you can do a Baalrun with 8 players, kill baal and you only have 1 chance to pick up that good drop (in 1.10 you had no chance because of pick it) while in SP you can easely go to town to sell something before picking up that Zod (i doubt someone would do this, but it's a possibility :lol: )

Doing Baalruns in 8 player games alone (duel games or so) is not easy because once you get to baal, mostly the game is empty or so.

I don't think it's a cheat but it should work on Bnet also, but only in private games pasw. protected to avoid someone in a 3 player game making it more difficult.

Bert

TheWormishOne

May 10, 2005
Oslo, Norway
Those battle.nutters sure crack me up! They can't seem to decide wether SP is "impassabel" or "two esay" :uhhuh:

I will admit I do get a bit mixed feelings when I type the /players command, but it's not like Blizzard have tried to hide it or anything. Calling it a cheat is certainly outright absurd.

Day

Jun 16, 2004
First I don't consider players x a cheat - Blizzard put it in and I'm going to use it! But I also don't agree it always makes the game harder. It pretty fundamentaly changes the game dynamics.

What it does is make hell and, for me, late nightmare (very much) harder.

However, it also makes normal very much easier - with players 8 you have (due to fast levelling) access to better stats and better gear earlier. Most importantly you get better skills without having to do lots of levelling. You also have more life and ( monster damage doesn't scale I think -so less chance of being forced into hit recovery etc) and more hits and levels on your merc (and their aura higher if its an act 2) than would otherwise be the case.

Examples include level 18 skills for Anadaral, level 24 skills to help with Durial and level 30 skills for Diablo - all within easy reach using players 8.

Players 8 pretty much makes Normal even more a walk in the park. To me the game really begins late nightmare and I think that's because of players 8 (and twinking :lol: ).

To test it try blood raven untwinked in normal on players 1 - you'll do it I'm sure but then try it with the extra levels from players 8 - its much easier.

I'm not sure the extra drops is much of an advantage - without players 8 you'd be leveling more so would have more drops. It does save a lot of time though. It also gives you an option to levl quickly if you need to - drop back an act and kill a boss for big experience and then go on.

Cheers.

D

Tarr

Jul 8, 2003
/players is cheesy. Killing those 4.5x HP monsters by yourself is soooo cheesy. What's not cheesy is joining a game with someone ten levels higher than you and leeching HIS 8 players killing for free exp. Oh, and then racing the other leeches for the drops. /sarcasm

I swear now, if this place gets overruned by banned b.net cheaters, I'm SO done with D2.

NeckRomancer

Jun 23, 2003
Philippines
Visit site
Bert said:
I don't think it's a cheat but it should work on Bnet also, but only in private games pasw. protected to avoid someone in a 3 player game making it more difficult.

Blizzard answered this topic when 1.09 came out with the "players x" concept. IIRC, they said that they didn't allow it on BNet since there are only a limited number of games the servers can support. If BNetters got this ability, they may end up creating too many individual games, and the servers won't be able to handle them all.

Going back to the original topic: Blizzard put that feature in the game. It may seem unfair, but it's not a hack.

krzyhobo

Nov 4, 2003
Visit site
As the eternal "Devil's advocate": How is it that y'all differentiate between "/players x" and the "-act x" feature? So one's an in-game command and one's a launch command - meaningless. Both are documented features if you scan back through the patch notes. Honestly I couldn't care any less about how you play your game but it seems odd to me that one can denounce one and not the other without being a hypocrite.

I really don't want to rehash the whole original debate about the issue, just wanted to throw it out there.

Oh, and people that bump up "/players x" settings purely for opening chests, etc. are teh 5uXx0rz. I'd call that cheating.

Tarr

Jul 8, 2003
krzyhobo said:
As the eternal "Devil's advocate": How is it that y'all differentiate between "/players x" and the "-act x" feature? So one's an in-game command and one's a launch command - meaningless. Both are documented features if you scan back through the patch notes. Honestly I couldn't care any less about how you play your game but it seems odd to me that one can denounce one and not the other without being a hypocrite.

I really don't want to rehash the whole original debate about the issue, just wanted to throw it out there.

Oh, and people that bump up "/players x" settings purely for opening chests, etc. are teh 5uXx0rz. I'd call that cheating.

I agree. I don't even change players settings after leaving town for the first time...if I'm on players 8, it stays there. If it's lower, it stays there.

As for players vs. -act x, I'd say looking to HC (which I don't even play) is a pretty good indicator of why one is cheating and the other isn't. One of them gives you an automatic Destroyer, one of them makes it harder (though admittedly more rewarding along the way) to reach Destroyer.

AlterEgo

Jun 22, 2003
still playing a little
Visit site
krzyhobo said:

I'm not in the mood for a lengthy discussion either, but I do want to say that the SPF concensus on these has been developed through much hashing & rehashing of the issues. The summary is pretty clearly stated in our stickied "gameplay FAQ. It's a decent read for any newer members, and we should politely point them to it as needed. ;)

Underdawg

Jul 4, 2005
W
-Oh, and people that bump up "/players x" settings purely for opening chests, etc. are teh 5uXx0rz. I'd call that cheating.-

Hey I never thought of that.... :uhhuh: