• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

OT: Marathon session claims another

randy

Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
OT: Marathon session claims another

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13406540,00.html

EXHAUSTION KILLS GAMER
A South Korean man has died of exhaustion in an internet cafe after playing computer games non-stop for 49 hours, according to police.

The 28-year-old, identified only by his last name, Lee, collapsed after having eaten minimally and not sleeping.

He had refused to leave his keyboard while playing the battle simulation game Starcraft.

Lee was quickly moved to a hospital but died after a few hours, due to what doctors presumed was a heart attack, police said.

Lee, who lived in the southern city of Taegu, had been fired from his job last month because he kept missing work to play computer games, police said.

StarCraft is a hugely popular game in South Korea, with fans battling each other to take over the galaxy.

It is thought to have been the major reason behind the growth in online gaming.

Computer games generally are loved in South Korea, home to professional gamers who earn big money through sponsorships and television stations devoted to broadcasting matches.

And round the world, tournaments pit players against each other for more than two days at a time.

Cripes. I always think I'm pretty badass staying up till five on a worknight doing Baal runs but these guys are insane. (And frequently dead).

Jun 3, 2004
Bangor, Maine
I'll admit I've thought I was a pretty hardcore gamer at times, but I've never had a 50-hour session. Maybe 36 once (The first time I ever played Mario RPG for the SNES, I had rented it and I wanted to beat it so badly before I had to return it the next day), but it was never so bad that I had to keep a mayonaise jar next to me in case nature called.

corax

Jan 11, 2004
australia
$20 his bladder exploded

essojay said:
None of us are that addicted ... ... ... :rolleyes:

speak for yourself. i've had a 4 day marathon barring toilet breaks and bringing food and drink to my pc.

and this bit worries me...
StarCraft is a hugely popular game in South Korea, with fans battling each other to take over the galaxy.

i knew they was evil

Jun 3, 2004
Bangor, Maine
[/smacks self in head]

Haha, I never realized how POWERFUL I used to feel when I played SC. Now I know why... 'cause I held the galaxy in my hands! Plus I had techno music playing, so I could have possibly been hallucinating as well...

Tournai Solum

Jul 24, 2005
I used to play Starcraft.

Then I played UMS when I realized I sucked.

Then I started playing SP on D2, because I went to dialup. And playing against computers on SC isn't fun cuz they cheat!

>.> Well, are better than I.

NeckRomancer

Jun 23, 2003
Philippines
Visit site
D2 got out of control for me a few years ago. We played in the office and I spent my days either playing or hanging around the SPF. To be fair, we didn't really have much work back then since we already had a finished product but I still felt I could have made better use of that time, like learning new programming languages or studying for certifications or even looking for a better job, since our company at that point was on a downward spiral.

Now I've pretty much got it under control. I only play at home, including trades. D2 is back to being merely a hobby, not an obsession. :lol:

Jun 3, 2004
Bangor, Maine
CPU agenda: rushrushrushrush

My agenda: ohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrapHELP, tankstankstanks, cruiserscruiserscruisers

Been a couple years since I played, but I doubt my plan has changed all that much. :lol: