• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

OT: A story and 2 requests

Howitzer Al

Mar 1, 2004
Dallas, TX
OT: A story and 2 requests

First, the story:
A friend of mine and one of his other friends were in a car accident the other night. A drunk driver slammed into them. My friend is okay physically (although the drunk driver missed him by only 2 feet), but his friend lost a leg and is in critical condition. The drunk driver was killed.

Now, two requests:
1) If you are of such a mind, please say a quick prayer for my friend and his friend.
2) If you are out with your friends and one of them tries to drive after drinking, STOP THEM! Do whatever it takes--take their keys, call the police, block their way to the car, whatever. I am sick of hearing of incident after incident where drunk drivers are killing or seriously injuring people. Drunk driving is one of the few major causes of death or serious injury that is 100% AVOIDABLE. I wouldn't even mind so much if it was only the people who drink and drive that get hurt and killed, but usually they wind of killing innocent people. If you're going to drink, plan how you'll get home. If you see someone else drink and try to drive, PLEASE STOP THEM! I know that you hear of this kind of stuff happening all the time and that it seems like it might never happen to you, but it does happen. It's happening every day. Please help stop it.

Sorry for the editorial, but I just had to get that out there. Thank you for your time.

seige

Oct 24, 2004
Tassie
I'll say a prayer as well.

I agree. Please don't drink and drive. If you go to a party, give the host your keys and see if there will be a designated driver there. Get a taxi or even sleep there if you know them.
If you see someone drunk, try to talk them into walking, offer them a lift yourself, if your sober or call them a taxi.

There's others that need to be thought of in this situation as well. Victims families, the drivers family, police that have to do that 3:30 am door knock and us Paramedics. Drunk driving is not a nice scene to go to.

I know I've ranted a bit here but if its made one person think about not driving drunk well I'm happy.
Please take care.

- Jas :howdy:

atigdng

Jun 15, 2004
Beijing
Be happy to say a prayer for your friend, and his friend.
Sorry to hear the upsetting news. I am the type of guy that will never drink, so I also feel very strongly about that type of issue(s).

Praying that all will go well,

~atigdng

corax

Jan 11, 2004
australia
Howitzer Al said:
The drunk driver was killed.

atleast he won't re-offend.

i'm sorry for your friends that n00bs like that can get behind the wheel. worse than bnetter's are DUI'ers

Tournai Solum

Jul 24, 2005
corax said:
atleast he won't re-offend.

i'm sorry for your friends that n00bs like that can get behind the wheel. worse than bnetter's are DUI'ers

Dude, my uncle died while driving impaired. Way not cool.

He was a great guy, and make one silly little mistake. Don't even say crap like that. I take it very personally.

He was my favourite uncle, and drank... maybe five times a year. Christmas, my Aunt's b-day, Thanksgiving, and my parent's birthdays.

...that was a lame christmas...

atigdng

Jun 15, 2004
Beijing
Tournai Solum said:
Dude, my uncle died while driving impaired. Way not cool.

He was a great guy, and make one silly little mistake. Don't even say crap like that. I take it very personally.

He was my favourite uncle, and drank... maybe five times a year. Christmas, my Aunt's b-day, Thanksgiving, and my parent's birthdays.

...that was a lame christmas...

Unfortunitly this stuff happens too often!

Seems like there is always someone to offend out there, I am sure he wasn't trying to offend you :)

maxgerin

Jun 22, 2003
Phil.
www.freewebs.com
I'm sorry to hear about your friend, specially about his other friend. :(
I hope he survives this mishap and be strong as he faces the physical and emotional traumas that resulted (and will result) from the incident.

The very reason why I always insist on not drinking at all when I know I'll be driving.

--maxgerin

TheWormishOne

May 10, 2005
Oslo, Norway
@ Howitzer Al:
That's just not cool.

Hope things will be better for your friend and his friend.

I allways do my best to stop drunk people from doing stupid things (and I draw the line long before driving.)