• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

One Week--Economy screwed...

Iconoclast

Aug 2, 2005
Stanford University
One Week--Economy screwed...

Yep, sad news.

I just checked Ebay to see the crazy listings and there are multiple ads for "Ten of any high rune" for $50. Yes, for Season 3 Ladder. Yes, more than 10 ads.

So that tells me that someone has already figured out how to dupe runes and somehow, gotten ahold of all the high runes to dupe (how they got Zod I'll never know).

So it's just a matter of time now until all the enigmas, botds, etc. start to show up in mass....

Kinda sad: all this focus from Bilzzard on some poor dweebs that just can't play without a bogus maphack...and here come the dupers and Ebayers wrecking the economy...nothing being done. Not that I think they could do anything.... Sigh.

p.s. Ebay search: Diablo USEast runes and you'll see the listings....

MapleBarb

Apr 16, 2005
Iconoclast said:
Yep, sad news.

I just checked Ebay to see the crazy listings and there are multiple ads for "Ten of any high rune" for $50. Yes, for Season 3 Ladder. Yes, more than 10 ads.

So that tells me that someone has already figured out how to dupe runes and somehow, gotten ahold of all the high runes to dupe (how they got Zod I'll never know).

So it's just a matter of time now until all the enigmas, botds, etc. start to show up in mass....

Kinda sad: all this focus from Bilzzard on some poor dweebs that just can't play without a bogus maphack...and here come the dupers and Ebayers wrecking the economy...nothing being done. Not that I think they could do anything.... Sigh.

p.s. Ebay search: Diablo USEast runes and you'll see the listings....
I could be wrong since I dont know anything about duping. but the way I see this they dont need to start out with a hr. all they need is a midrune like um or mal and then cube them from there until they have 1 of each hr. then go from there.

Myrakh-2

Jun 23, 2004
flyff.cable.nu
Blizzard *could* fix the bugs that are used to dupe. Might take a bit of effort to find out what it actually being used, if it's not the classic "crash the game" approach.

But for them, adding "item poofing" to punish the victims, realm-downs and other stuff to piss off people is more important than fixing the bugs in their game.

Live with it.

EDIT: also, consider this: banning 35K people for using maphack gives them a lot of press coverage. Fixing a duping loophole or two gives them nothing (since it's serverside... so not even a patch.readme file).

carrothers

Jun 22, 2005
Des Moines, Iowa
www.justan.0nyx.com
I knew that this patch wouldn't fix the botting/duping/maphacking/cheating/hax0ring/lameness of some people. Oh well, I rest easier at night by knowing that if I ever decide to come back and play Diablo II ever again, it'll still be the same game it's always been.

Blizzard can't outsmart hackers. If a hacker is determined enough, they'll find a way. I remember hearing that people convicted of hacking huge secure systems and end up in jail get hired eventually by software companies to make operating systems and networks more secure.

Blizzard's patches seem to be simply adding more functionality, adding more features, removing bugs, etc. They aren't making the game more secure, but on a positive note, they're at least banning people who cheat.

I've heard rumors that there are hack programs for Diablo II that feature some sort of "Antidection", making it impossible for Blizzard to know. That just furthers my point that D2, or any game for that matter, will never ever ever ever ever ever be hack proof.

EDIT: As for the economy in Diablo II, wait a while, maybe a couple more weeks. Things will settle down, and you'll see HRs being thrown around left and right for uniques and stuff like that.

AnimeCraze

Jul 13, 2005
Vancouver
carrothers said:
Blizzard can't outsmart hackers. If a hacker is determined enough, they'll find a way. I remember hearing that people convicted of hacking huge secure systems and end up in jail get hired eventually by software companies to make operating systems and networks more secure.

Catch me if you can, if you have watch that before. It's not about hacks, but close enough in flavor.

HoshNasi

Jun 21, 2005
I read the details on the dupe method, its not difficult and only requires two people or an alt. Anyways, its bound to hppen.

As for anti-ditection, MousePads maphack was made to avoid detection, hes been doing it for years.

lonnie913

Sep 25, 2003
Visit site
there was a thread on bnet about this guy (yes its one guy who is selling this on multiple realms). its most likely a scam. some experienced diablo shop owners confirmed that no one has this stuff yet. so the economy is fine so far :lol: .

Omikron8

Jun 28, 2003
GG season 3

Have fun dealing with your mid-high runes losing tons of value

except this time you won't have non ladder stuff to fall back on :)

gogo non ladder

Myrakh-2

Jun 23, 2004
flyff.cable.nu
HoshNasi said:
I read the details on the dupe method, its not difficult and only requires two people or an alt. Anyways, its bound to hppen.

As for anti-ditection, MousePads maphack was made to avoid detection, hes been doing it for years.

There is a difference between duping and maphack: duping happens serverside, so it can be detected since the duper has no control of the stuff running on the server.

Maphack happens clientside, so whatever Blizzard tries to detect it can be "countermeasured".

That's why software-companies love TCPA --- it takes away control of your computer and gives it to Microsoft, so in order to run maphack on your computer the maphack author (or you, alternatively) would have to convince Microsoft to allow execution of that program on people's computers...

CrazyPayne

Jul 20, 2003
Visit site
Do you guys not know that Blizzard implemented a new detection system which is being called The Warden? This system is now server side and sends you a packet which checks to see if any .DLL's are running that would be from a maphack or a bot and also scans your memory. If this packet returns that you have something running that you shouldn't you get tagged.

The nice thing about this system is that it can be updated server side to include new hacks to search for without even taking the realms down.

Nirlem

Sep 4, 2003
*nirlem *nirlem-mule *nirlem-PvP
CrazyPayne said:
Do you guys not know that Blizzard implemented a new detection system which is being called The Warden? This system is now server side and sends you a packet which checks to see if any .DLL's are running that would be from a maphack or a bot and also scans your memory. If this packet returns that you have something running that you shouldn't you get tagged.

The nice thing about this system is that it can be updated server side to include new hacks to search for without even taking the realms down.

if this was true, they would get lawsuits against them.
they have no right whatsoever of scanning our computers, and even if they did try how do they get past our firewalls/routers without "hacking" (federal offense)

would love a link to this information...

CrazyPayne

Jul 20, 2003
Visit site
I heard about it and googled it and read about it on many sites. This new detection system is the reason they were able to tag all of the people using EasyMap.

Well you are already allowing ingoing and outgoing traffic for Diablo, but I have been reading the EULA and TOS to see if there is something in there that would allow them to do this.

arcticknight

May 28, 2005
Chicago, IL
ive visited a site that sells items recently and seen that the highest rune they have on ladder is ist rune which is selling for about $23.00 and on non ladder hr's are 10 for $15.00. just a observation :)

Nirlem

Sep 4, 2003
*nirlem *nirlem-mule *nirlem-PvP
blizzard didnt get all the players using easymap,

and that is a fact i have witnessed myself.

i have seen someone playing the new ladder with easymap installed before and after the bannings.

yes i was in his home.

but if the did really scan our memories, then they wouldnt miss anyone... right?

Jun 22, 2003
Burlington, VT
CrazyPayne said:
Well you are already allowing ingoing and outgoing traffic for Diablo, but I have been reading the EULA and TOS to see if there is something in there that would allow them to do this.

Battle.net ToS said:
(iii) that as part of your registration process and in consideration for the privilege of accessing Battle.net and if permitted by local laws Blizzard has the right to send your computer one or more "cookies" without any further notice to you (these cookies only retain your user preferences) and , Blizzard has the right to obtain certain identification information about your computer and its operating system, including the identification numbers of your hard drives, central processing unit, IP addresses, and operating systems for identification purposes; (iv) that, if permitted by local law, Blizzard has the right to obtain "non-personal" data from your Internet browsing software in order to make certain demographic assumptions regarding the users of Battle.net without any further notice to you
Hmm...that says nothing about looking at running .dlls or memory scans. If this is true, battle.net is spyware and I will never play on it again.

alexzed

Nov 10, 2003
Accts: alexzed, allexzed, aaz11
Visit site
I'm with Crazy on this one. That ban from maphack (or whatever it was called) was an indicator that they are able to discover who is exploiting the map info from the server side...so I had a look at the EULA:

5. Acknowledgments. You hereby acknowledge (i) that certain games
played on Battle.net require electronic files, including, but not
limited to
, player characters, accounts, statistics, user profiles,
weapons, armor, quests, and maps ("Online Data"), be stored upon
Battle.net for Your use when utilizing Battle.net to play these
games online, You hereby agree and acknowledge that Blizzard shall
not have any liability to You for the loss of Online Data for any
reason whatsoever, including, but not limited to server failure,
telephonic interruptions of any kind, defects, viruses or other
harmful components, and negligent acts of Blizzard and/or its
affiliates;

So - from what I see...we are to accept 'electronic files' from Blizzard, and it does NOT say what those files are, as is indicated by the 'not limited to'.

As for the economy being screwed...I looked on ebay, and there was nothing - except on West ladder. eBay is usually a pretty good indicator of what is available (you guys remember the $700 Tals Armour bid?)

So if this one guy has managed to dupe that many times, would there not be a flag? I wouldn't spend my $150usd on this...

I also did a few searches (not just google) for Diablo duping methods - and the only sites that are advertising are selling the technology - but there are NO discussion threads about it. This would indicate that the duping is not taking place...at this time anyway.

Bottom line for me is - play the game, have fun, remember it is a game, and just let it gooooooooo!