• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

OMGWTF???!!!1 Gib R3ziztz!!!

robdylan

Member
Nov 11, 2003
248
0
102
Johannesburg, South Africa
OMGWTF???!!!1 Gib R3ziztz!!!

Or something to that effect.

My new Meteorb sorc has just started Hell, and I reckon her gear is almost spot on for the task at hand (Going to be a Meph/Pindle/Pit runner eventually).

Harley w pTopaz
Mara's
Tal's Armour w pTopaz
Tal's belt
Frostburn
Silkweave
Occy
Stormshield w pDiamond
2 x SoJ

Problem is, my resists are shocking in Hell (Cold maxed, obviously. Fire and Lit mid 50s, Poison negative). What can I do to fix this, without sacrificing any of my l33t it4mz? The obvious suggestion is to switch Occy for Wizardspike (which would at least take away that annoying tp on hit thing) but losing +3 skills and 50% mf is not really something I want to do. I'm trying to plug the gaps with charms, but I'm not really winning that way either.

Any killer suggestions, oh champions of this game?

Ta
Rob
 

nepeta

Member
Sep 19, 2004
3,831
47
258
The Netherlands
MFing gear is notorious for a lack of resists. It's very hard to get both good resists, +skills and MF. For leveling, just pull on enough resists, probably lightning 85 for gloams, neglect the rest and rely on your skill and merc. Once matted, switch the gear for MF, and rock and roll.
 

robdylan

Member
Nov 11, 2003
248
0
102
Johannesburg, South Africa
necrolemming said:
Tal's belt is kinda lousy without a third piece of Tal's set. You could switch it for Credendum (which would be much cooler if it were called credenza) for 10% res all.

But seriously, those resists are fine in hell. As long as you're careful around mummies and poison mages, you'll be fine*.

*note: does not apply to gloams

Hmmm - ain't got no credenza, alas, but what about the IK belt? Big fire and Lightning res... The 20 Dex from Tal's helps a ton with my blocking, though.

In fact, if I add the IK boots, I can get an extra 25% mf too... what you think?
 
Dec 7, 2003
1,008
0
120
40
holland
Visit site
I agree with Lemming, for most things those resists are pretty fine, just make sure you have your energy shield up all the time, imo most sorcs won't need maxed resists, as long as the important ones are positive it's ok

I would also (if you have it or can trade for it) switch the mara's for Tals ammy for the extra mf
 

maxgerin

Member
Jun 22, 2003
2,342
0
165
Phil.
www.freewebs.com
Here are some options...

1.) Use a Lightning Resist GC, a Fire Resist GC (hopefully both have useful second mod), and Sandstorm Trek (look for a near perfect, or perfect, Poison Resist).

2.) Use 2 (or 3) +15 Resist All GC (again, hopefully both have good second mod) and a Sandstorm Trek (ditto).

3.) Sacrifice socket spaces and put in Ort (lightning?) and Ral (fire?)... not sure if I got the runes right, but you get the point. You can also use 2 +15 Resist All jewels.

4.) Use the complete Tal's set. Socket the Helm and Armor with Thul (cold?) and Ral (fire?). Socket the Orb with a 30% Poison Jewel (hopefully with +MF). Use Magefist, War Travs, Rhyme Grim Shield and 2x SoJs. Jam the inventory with as much MFSC you can get your hands on. This will solve most of your resist problem, save for poison (you'll have around 50% there) provided you do all the rescue Anya quests. This is what I did, so there goes why the explanation is more extensive... :p

--maxgerin
 

bill_n_opus

Member
Apr 10, 2004
2,553
17
166
GVRD baby!
I just use full tal's.

Full resists on everything except poison which is ~ 9%. Big deal.

I do have to say that she's pretty well twinked by now which may not be available to you. I've got a ton of small resist all charms with second mods and/or single resist charms with second mods. Maxes out the ones that are important.

Kills fast on players8 with decent MF% at ~ 380-410% iirc. More if I load up the merc with MF gear (tomb reaver, harley, tal's or skullders) for the final kill.
 

Tarr

Member
Jul 8, 2003
467
0
143
My mf'ing sorc has negative all resists in hell ( :teeth: ) and can run pindy, pits, mephy, baal, all just fine. :) Be careful and use teleport wisely.
 

robdylan

Member
Nov 11, 2003
248
0
102
Johannesburg, South Africa
bill_n_opus said:
I just use full tal's.

Full resists on everything except poison which is ~ 9%. Big deal.

I do have to say that she's pretty well twinked by now which may not be available to you. I've got a ton of small resist all charms with second mods and/or single resist charms with second mods. Maxes out the ones that are important.

Kills fast on players8 with decent MF% at ~ 380-410% iirc. More if I load up the merc with MF gear (tomb reaver, harley, tal's or skullders) for the final kill.

Major prob is I don't have Tal's ammy. Minor problem is I ain't got the orb either. No doubt Hell (or even NM) Meph runs would help with the 2nd prob, but I'm really not hopeful about solving the first one.
 

WayWardSoul

Member
Jun 3, 2005
432
0
98
nebraska
You could get a 4os flail and make

Heart of the Oak* 4 Socket Staves/Maces* Ko + Vex + Pul + Thul
+3 To All Skills
+40% Faster Cast Rate
+75% Damage To Demons
+100 To Attack Rating Against Demons
Adds 3-14 Cold Damage, 3 sec. Duration (Normal)
7% Mana Stolen Per Hit
+10 To Dexterity
Replenish Life +20
Increase Maximum Mana 15%
All Resistances +30-40 (varies)
Level 4 Oak Sage (25 Charges)
Level 14 Raven (60 Charges)
+50% Damage To Undead

to put on a weapon switch when you need that extra resist
 

robdylan

Member
Nov 11, 2003
248
0
102
Johannesburg, South Africa
Tarr said:
My mf'ing sorc has negative all resists in hell ( :teeth: ) and can run pindy, pits, mephy, baal, all just fine. :) Be careful and use teleport wisely.

Well - I must say, I'm not having any major probs at the moment (Act 1 on P8 - managed to complete first 2 quests in no time). Obviously it gets harder the further into hell you go.
 

robdylan

Member
Nov 11, 2003
248
0
102
Johannesburg, South Africa
WayWardSoul said:
You could get a 4os flail and make

Heart of the Oak* 4 Socket Staves/Maces* Ko + Vex + Pul + Thul
+3 To All Skills
+40% Faster Cast Rate
+75% Damage To Demons
+100 To Attack Rating Against Demons
Adds 3-14 Cold Damage, 3 sec. Duration (Normal)
7% Mana Stolen Per Hit
+10 To Dexterity
Replenish Life +20
Increase Maximum Mana 15%
All Resistances +30-40 (varies)
Level 4 Oak Sage (25 Charges)
Level 14 Raven (60 Charges)
+50% Damage To Undead

to put on a weapon switch when you need that extra resist


I could, 'cept I'm incredibly poor when it comes to runes. Only have 1 pul, which I already have 2 good uses for. As for vex... well, that's basically just a wet dream at the moment ;)

Oh - and not to nitpick, but it's hard shoe-horning a 4-rune rw into a 3-os item ;)
 

WayWardSoul

Member
Jun 3, 2005
432
0
98
nebraska
robdylan said:
I could, 'cept I'm incredibly poor when it comes to runes. Only have 1 pul, which I already have 2 good uses for. As for vex... well, that's basically just a wet dream at the moment ;)

Oh - and not to nitpick, but it's hard shoe-horning a 4-rune rw into a 3-os item ;)
Well i just figured with all your elete items and your 12 yr old bnet type you would have them :lol:

oh and by the way i saw i made a typo and fixed it
 

robdylan

Member
Nov 11, 2003
248
0
102
Johannesburg, South Africa
WayWardSoul said:
Well i just figured with all your elete items and your 12 yr old bnet type you would have them :lol:

oh and by the way i saw i made a typo and fixed it

Sweet. I managed to pass myself off as a 12-year-old l33t h4><0R! BNet is mine for the taking!

Tal's Armour and Stormshield were a very generous parting gift from Muay Thai Warrior. The rest of the stuff is self-found (yeah - I actually found 2 SoJ's, if you can believe it!). I had an unfortunate ATMA incident a while ago, though, and lost a sheeeyiteload of stuff, including all my runes and set items. That explains the lack of basic stuff like Tal's orb. I also lost an IK Soul Cage, which hurt like bejaysus.
 

Dodgydave

Member
Jul 16, 2003
3,596
8
166
New Zealand
robdylan said:
Tal's Armour and Stormshield were a very generous parting gift from Muay Thai Warrior. The rest of the stuff is self-found (yeah - I actually found 2 SoJ's, if you can believe it!). I had an unfortunate ATMA incident a while ago, though, and lost a sheeeyiteload of stuff, including all my runes and set items. That explains the lack of basic stuff like Tal's orb. I also lost an IK Soul Cage, which hurt like bejaysus.

If you've got 2 SOJ's getting hold of a Tal's ammy and Orb shouldn't be a problem. (ie visit the trade forum) Then you'll have full tal's set and as others have said most of your problems are solved.

Also gifts from MTW is that a good or bad thing? ;(
 

robdylan

Member
Nov 11, 2003
248
0
102
Johannesburg, South Africa
Dodgydave said:
If you've got 2 SOJ's getting hold of a Tal's ammy and Orb shouldn't be a problem. (ie visit the trade forum) Then you'll have full tal's set and as others have said most of your problems are solved.

Also gifts from MTW is that a good or bad thing? ;(

Naaah. Too proud of my SoJ's. Would never trade either of them.

As for the MTW thing... anything I need to know?
 

maxgerin

Member
Jun 22, 2003
2,342
0
165
Phil.
www.freewebs.com
robdylan said:
What's the max resist you can get on a GC? Mine are all crap (around 12%).

Looks like I need to cube like a mofo

The max resist is 30% on a GC, iirc.

BTW, if you accept free items, I am willing to send you a v1.09 Tal's Ammy and a v1.10 Tal's Orb. The difference with the v1.09 ammy is its lack of 10%FCR partial set bonus, nothing more. You even get the aura if you use it.
If you want it, just inform me of your e-mail add.

--maxgerin
 

robdylan

Member
Nov 11, 2003
248
0
102
Johannesburg, South Africa
maxgerin said:
The max resist is 30% on a GC, iirc.

BTW, if you accept free items, I am willing to send you a v1.09 Tal's Ammy and a v1.10 Tal's Orb. The difference with the v1.09 ammy is its lack of 10%FCR partial set bonus, nothing more. You even get the aura if you use it.
If you want it, just inform me of your e-mail add.

--maxgerin

That'd be geat! robert(dot)ott(at)gmail(dot)com is my addy. I will be eternally greatful and name my second child after you... if my wife lets me.