• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Normal mf runs, are they worth it?

Bloodfire

May 25, 2005
UK
Normal mf runs, are they worth it?

My new paladin is running low on good items... I was wondering if there is anywhere worth mfing in normal. Is there? Can a frostzealot do them?

Hacknshoot

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
It depends on what you're looking for. For instance, if you want easy MF, Normal Andariel has the best chance for Nagelrings IIRC. You also have chances for other decent low level uniques, like the String of Ears, Venom Grips, Infernostride, Spirit Shroud, and stuff like that, if you do keep runs. But you will need to go to Nm runs sooner or later.

Bloodfire

May 25, 2005
UK
Oh yeah, I realise that nm is better than norm for mfing it's just I'm not in nm yet... and to get there I could do with better items but I can't do that till I get better items... :( Apart from andy are there any other runs worth doing? How is countess in normal?

[I'm looking in particular for a unique normal armour called greyform or something like that... thats if anyone has one to trade.]

Painman

Jun 22, 2003
Massachusetts
Visit site
I did some MF in Normal, Meph is a good target as always. Travincal council drops lots of gems and runes. Shenk, Eldritch and Pindle for lots of rares and an occasional set/unique. Basically the same routine as MFing in any other difficulty.

Superhal

Jul 5, 2003
Visit site
i think you might be doing something wrong in terms of playstyle, not items. you should be able to get to nm a1-2 with almost all storebought. are you stuck on a quest or having trouble levelling? saving skill points is another big issue that causes people to struggle in norm. what level are you?

phool

Apr 27, 2005
uk
In my experience, Mephisto on normal is ideal for making some of the early twinking sets - but the cow king is a lot better, althougth running him requires 2 chars or a friend (find the king then switch act). Baal is good for string of ears: I consider bloodletter a bad weapon even early in the game, due to a huge repair cost - you can't afford to let picking up rubbish like wands and magical armor to sell slow down your quest for lvls and items. However Baal can drop some very nice rares on normal (occasionally these will have a very high lvl req however, e.g. 51), for example weapons with 160%ed (from memory).

But even so running normal bosses early in the game is a waste of time, simply because it's so easy to get to lvl 70 odd (i.e. when your done with nm balruns - Put points in conviction, fanaticism, concentration or holy freeze and you can hide at the back and still be a valuable asset to your party) - you can do this pretty literally without killing a single enemy. At this point you will inevitably have several times the mf and can do these runs in a far shorter amount of time. In orther words, run normal, mainly for twinking, but don't do it until everything dies as soon as looks at you.

Bloodfire

May 25, 2005
UK
Thanks for the advice, I'm doing well now. I found a nice pala shield and made a mailice flail, I've gained a few levels and put the skills into holy shield so I'm dieing a lot less. :D