• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

No Harm done?

Pandemic

Jun 29, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
No Harm done?

This is to all you users of MapHack and bots and dupes who claim that you are doing nothing wrong and that you are just playing the game the way you want to; and those of us that choose not to cheat are playing the way we want to, and no harm done.

I have played D2 since the day is was released, I have never taken a break or quit. I play a minmum of 20 hours a week. I used to (pre 1.08 days) be active in the trading market.

As real players got bored and left the game the cheaters became more prevalent. As one who chose not to cheat it became next to impossible to complete any trades as I did not have any Uber gear. I beleive that you should actualy play the game. I would not teleport to Baal or Mephisto even though I play a Sorc. I think you should actually kill your way there. By the time 1.10 came around, I played only in single player games and the only trades I ever made was to trade crafting supplies.

The cheaters have destroyed the economy by making High level items so common that they are the only tradeable items in the game.

If you insist that there is nothing wrong with using maphack, ask yourself why you do use it. YOU WANT TO GET AN ADVANTAGE. You want to get more stuff, better stuff, better stuff faster than if you didn't use maphack. Why else would you knowlingly download a potentially dangerous program onto your computer that is expressly against the rules of the game that you are playing?

There is no better way to find out about a persons character than to play a game with them, probably even more so when it anonymous, those who cheat, take the easy way out, will do so in real life when actually under pressure. Yes it is only a game, if you can't even play without cheating, what is that saying about your character?

Pandemic

ToadKiller

Jun 23, 2003
Limbo, CA
Visit site
I'll tell you a story: I used to play single player D2. I'd tried online and didn't like it (this was before ladder).

It was great. Me and me and...me.

I got tired of me.

So I started d/l'ing mods and hacks and programs you never heard of--and it was cool. For about a week. Then it sucked.

I have everything, why should I play?

Blizzard saved me with ladder. I love ladder. Can you cheat? Sure, you can cheat at anything. I don't care if you cheat. Too many people on here base there "fun" on another person's "loss".

TK

Jun 22, 2003
Burlington, VT
Pandemic said:
If you insist that there is nothing wrong with using maphack, ask yourself why you do use it. YOU WANT TO GET AN ADVANTAGE. You want to get more stuff, better stuff, better stuff faster than if you didn't use maphack. Why else would you knowlingly download a potentially dangerous program onto your computer that is expressly against the rules of the game that you are playing?
I MF to get more stuff, better stuff, faster than if I didn't wear mf gear... Why else would I do the same runs over and over again in a way that is expressly against the original design of the game?

Dawnmaster

Apr 23, 2004
Belgium
SuggestiveName said:
I MF to get more stuff, better stuff, faster than if I didn't wear mf gear... Why else would I do the same runs over and over again in a way that is expressly against the original design of the game?

Yeah, but if you don't have a car, and you need to drive for work relations to the other side of the country, does that mean you can steal a car? Or drive a car without a license? (it's a bad analogy for maphack, but you get the idea)

Jun 22, 2003
Burlington, VT
Dawnmaster said:
Yeah, but if you don't have a car, and you need to drive for work relations to the other side of the country, does that mean you can steal a car? Or drive a car without a license? (it's a bad analogy for maphack, but you get the idea)
Police can commandeer cars in dire situations. Movies told me so. Movies and tv.

Jun 2, 2004
France
SuggestiveName said:
Nobody said that Blizzard's design of the game was perfect...

letosan

Aug 2, 2005
Missouri
lol, there is actually a game out there that does just that. It looks much like one of the old mud games, hack and slash text based. You make a char name and the game runs it from there. Builds it, equips it, sends it out to kill, collects stuff, returns to sell it all and heal up, re-equips and goes back out to kill. I downloaded it and was enthralled:) I would just sit and watch it run for like 15 minutes at a time, fun stuff.

bladesyz

Jul 8, 2005
Bloodraven's Tomb
letosan said:
lol, there is actually a game out there that does just that. It looks much like one of the old mud games, hack and slash text based. You make a char name and the game runs it from there. Builds it, equips it, sends it out to kill, collects stuff, returns to sell it all and heal up, re-equips and goes back out to kill. I downloaded it and was enthralled:) I would just sit and watch it run for like 15 minutes at a time, fun stuff.

Wow, that sounds awesome! Got link?

letosan

Aug 2, 2005
Missouri
I will try to find it. It is such a hillarious game to have. There is literally no user interaction after making your name (heck, you might not even get to do that, I dont remember)

Dawnmaster

Apr 23, 2004
Belgium
letosan said:
I will try to find it. It is such a hillarious game to have. There is literally no user interaction after making your name (heck, you might not even get to do that, I dont remember)

Are you sure you weren't just watching a movie? :rolleyes:

Scumra

Aug 1, 2005
Canada
PetePizza said:
I believe the game was called "Progress Quest", fwiw.
yup that's the one...i believe Lummoxman my demi-canadian bastard lunatic was level 70ish :cool: on oobag(i think that was the name of the world) before my comp crashed...and i lost him :(

Bhruic

Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Pandemic said:
I beleive that you should actualy play the game. I would not teleport to Baal or Mephisto even though I play a Sorc. I think you should actually kill your way there.

So I guess the people who teleport there are "cheating" too, right? :rolleyes:

The cheaters have destroyed the economy by making High level items so common that they are the only tradeable items in the game.

Ok, so let's engage in a bit of logical thought here. Let's assume that the only tradable items in the game are high level items. Now, let's assume that someone wishes to make a trade. Based on those assumptions, someone would have to have a high level item to make a trade. But let's introduce a new assumption, that the person doesn't have a high level item. Therefore, they are incapable of trading, based on the assumptions. Note, these assumptions come straight from your statement.

Ok, so if we stopped there, your assertion would be valid. But wait, we aren't done yet. Let's make one more assumption. Let's assume that there are quite a few people who both wish to trade and don't have a high level item to trade. All of these people would be unable to trade at all, if the original assumption were true. But since they all don't have high level items, is there anything stopping them from trading low/mid level items with each other?

If you think "yes", please explain why you think this, because it seems to defy common sense.

Bh