• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

NM Meph worth it?

Wmeredith

Sep 16, 2004
NM Meph worth it?

I'm almost to NM Mephy with my meteor/orb sorc, and I was wondering if I should spend some time here running him. I wasn't sure what his drops can be, but I heard that they're decent. I'm mainly after a vmagi/skullders, chancies, etc. I'm not expecting CoA's or anyhting, but I was just wondering if someone who was a more experienced mf'r could tell me if I'd just be wasting my time...

lonnie913

Sep 25, 2003
Visit site
if this is your first mf character, i think nm meph is definitely worth running for a while. he does drop nice things like: chancies, peasant crown, skins of the vipermagi, skullders, suicide branch, oculus, whitstans guard, mosers, viscertuant, waterwalk etc etc etc. i think its worth the time to get these and ease your way into running hell mephisto.

Leohappy

Mar 26, 2005
Slovenia
I did about 30 nm meph runs with my blizz sorc and found nothing useful. Mostly some low lvl set items. I hear nm meph can drop those sweet lvl 42 uniques but I was unable to find one.

Hell meph run isn't much harder than nm if you use the moat trick. And he can drop better stuff like harle also.

Countess is a better nm mf run imo. Runes like shael, sol, amn can be sold for some good stuff.

sword

Aug 6, 2005
I never consider nm meph a good mf run boss. Sure, it can get you started, but most of the time you will get crappy drops. I think it is best to take advantage of hell mephisto and, like leo suggested, nm countess. I did a few countess runs and I got plenty of very helpful low-middle runs. I mostly only did it to get some of the runes I needed for low level runewords, but I think you can get very good starter equips with them. :lol:

lonnie913

Sep 25, 2003
Visit site
sword said:
I never consider nm meph a good mf run boss. Sure, it can get you started, but most of the time you will get crappy drops. I think it is best to take advantage of hell mephisto and, like leo suggested, nm countess. I did a few countess runs and I got plenty of very helpful low-middle runs. I mostly only did it to get some of the runes I needed for low level runewords, but I think you can get very good starter equips with them. :lol:

this is sort of a very good point. putting together a spirit sword and insight polearm for your merc is easier and probably more effective than trying to get oculus and *random unqiue polearm* from nm mephisto.

NewblarofDoom

Jul 30, 2005
America
lonnie913 said:
this is sort of a very good point. putting together a spirit sword and insight polearm for your merc is easier and probably more effective than trying to get oculus and *random unqiue polearm* from nm mephisto.
I've been Mfing Nm Meph and Nm Andy and I've been surprised with my results. I've found fairly good greens, an eth duriel shell that I put on my merc, gwrap, magefists, stealskull, iron pelt, and a few others that I'm forgetting now.

I've found some pretty good stuff, so it's not totally worthless.

sword

Aug 6, 2005
It is great that you have found those things at NM Mephisto :thumbsup: . However, some people (like myself I suppose) would rather risk fighting hell mephisto to get any higher drops. That way, they won't limit themselves to starter gear. Just one good drop from hell mephisto can beat the hell out of a nm mephisto drop :) .

Painman

Jun 22, 2003
Massachusetts
Visit site
You may find running NM Meph to be painfully hard with an underdeveloped/underequipped sorc (I'm assuming you're on ladder here). It's not Meph that's hard, it's getting there. NM has the "New and Improved" super-size Durance map. If you can Teleport without blowing your mana pool quickly, you may be ok. If not, get ready for a possibly long and perilous walk. Having a Holy Freeze merc will help greatly if that's the case. It's the Stygian Dolls that make it so dangerous.

That's my experience with NM Meph on the new ladder so far, anyway :) but I'm at base Energy stat, 1 Warmth, and relying on +mana/regen items, so... your sorc may be quite different. I had an easy time getting to and killing Diablo, who in NM (unlike Meph) can drop some lower elites *cough* Shako *cough*. You might wanna consider that run instead depending on how easy or hard you find it to be. It's a pretty good deal - 3 Super Unique bosses, Big D himself, a handful of random boss packs along the way... and so little map randomization that it hardly even matters.

phool

Apr 27, 2005
uk
1) yes he's worth running, I've had a skulder's off him and a couple of useful set items. And he's soo easy
2) The best way to run him imo is to run - not tele - with a fast char (sanders, lvl ~7 BoS) with 70%CB (cleglaw's set + guillame's) then msg a friend with a few hundred mf to finish off.

@sword - hmm it takes a lot to beat an oculus or a skullder's, some of the few 'good as runeword' items

Godz Deathz

Banned
Jul 25, 2005
usa
running may take a while...i think the best suggestion here is by painman with the diablo running
its not the kiling meph, its the finding him, and diablo maps have negligible changes

Godz Deathz

Banned
Jul 25, 2005
usa
keep in mind that unless you have an insight merc, you will not be able to find lvl 3 without dying, usually to super unq stygian dolls

this problem is actually impossible in hell that if you tele into a pack of monsters, you will die before you can tele again

Superhal

Jul 5, 2003
Visit site
Godz Deathz said:
keep in mind that unless you have an insight merc, you will not be able to find lvl 3 without dying, usually to super unq stygian dolls

this problem is actually impossible in hell that if you tele into a pack of monsters, you will die before you can tele again

with 105% fcr, this is not a problem.

lonnie913

Sep 25, 2003
Visit site
Superhal said:
with 105% fcr, this is not a problem.

i think the point of the thread is that he has no gear. probably a new ladder character and thus he wont have things like "lots of mana", "105% fcr", or "good items" :lol: . i find a short stop at nm meph makes hell meph easier to handle due to some decent exceptional gear.

sword

Aug 6, 2005
I don't know, I have very few problems tele'ing to hell meph, except for the occassional monsters. I remember some of the most stupid moments where I couldn't escape. I once instantly died when a bunch of vampires (about 3) all let out a fireball at once and I, with low resistances, died before I could teleport again. A few others were where a pack of like 20 stygian dolls cornered me while i was trying to teleport to somewhere impossible. Oddly enough, with the perhaps 40-50% fcr I have, I escaped a group of fanat stygian dolls before they could even hit me. I do drain a lot of potions, sometimes, looking for the stupid entrance to durance 3. Running NM diablo isn't such a bad idea I suppose, but I've never tried it.

5Ws

Banned
Dec 2, 2004
FL
Definitely run him. Things important to look out for: Occy, Skullder, Alibaba, Gull.
Lots of tradables can drop, as well as godlies.
Last Ladder a Gull dropped very early for me, which made me ahead of the game by a lot, and couple days later NM Meph also dropped an SoJ on me.
You NEED to run him to get you started, simple as that.

After you get some tradables, then you can start getting FCR things and prepare for Hell Meph. You just can't tele to Hell Meph if you have little or no FCR. Monsters hit you hard and you don't have a chance to get away.

Leohappy

Mar 26, 2005
Slovenia
Godz Deathz said:
I don't have insight on merc on meph runs :S (nor do I want to have a merc since I use moat trick). My sorc reaches 63 fcr bp. I can do hell meph runs without problem.

Make sure you tele along the walls to avoid monster packs.

Lvl 86 Blizz sorc @ Europe ladder.

ewichern

Jul 18, 2005
NoVA
Leohappy said:
I don't have insight on merc on meph runs :S (nor do I want to have a merc since I use moat trick). My sorc reaches 63 fcr bp. I can do hell meph runs without problem.

IMO it's really not worth running NM mephy. If you do a LOT of runs you can get some decent stuff, but the time investment seems much higher than just putting together a decent set of runeword gear from NM countess and then running Hell Meph with the moat trick.

You don't need a merc to have an insight. I keep an insight on switch in a polearm that doesn't require any dex. Cast ES, Armor, TS, switch to insight and teleport down to durance 3, then switch back to 2xSpirit, Spirit/Rhyme, Spirit/Splendor, whatever floats your boat.

It's pretty easy to get +5 skills from runeword gear, 100-200 MF, AND >63% FCR. My biggest problem right now is my skills. Forb is great and all, but doesn't work with the moat trick, and my Lightning/CL is just waaaaay too weak to take on anything in hell. Assuming you're going with a single element or a standard Meteorb build though, you should be able to take out hell meph no problem.

Superhal

Jul 5, 2003
Visit site
Godz Deathz said:
well i guess you're one of the cool people that can afford 105 fcr
i only hit 63 so yea i die if i try to tele

best way is with either suicide branch or wiz spike with a spirit shield, 75-85 right there, and just 20-30 additional fcr.