• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

NM cows or Hell cows?

Thirty-Thirty

Dec 16, 2004
Germany
NM cows or Hell cows?

Ahoy,

It might seem like a silly question, but I'm thinking about it in this way: Hell cows can drop any base item or rune (edit), but running it on more than 3 players takes time, for me anyway, and really doesn't seem to yield much. On the other hand, Nightmare cows can't drop as high, but on /players 8, they still have about the same life as /players 1 in Hell, and a much better chance of dropping. Is there be merit in running the NM cows (other than to find the Cow King's set)? I'm particularly thinking in terms of runes.

Thanks,
30-30

Thirty-Thirty

Dec 16, 2004
Germany
Shagsbeard said:
Not in a long while can hell cows drop "anything". Let us know which patch you are playing in.

Granted, I imagine the monster levels restrict the elite uniques, but they can drop any base item, and they can drop any rune. (I guess I should've said 'any base item or rune' in the first place.)

Shagsbeard

Jul 12, 2004
Central California Coast
I'd do hell on /p1 rather than nightmare on /p8. You have fewer drops, but a chance at a really good drop... like a transIst rune. /p3 is a nice place to play too... if it doesn't slow you down too much. I usually drop from /p8 to /p3 once I get to hell difficulty, even if I could progress at /p8. It's just more fun for me at /p3.

Your choice of running cows never appealed to me though, I've done a number of runs, but never really got into it.