• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

new to necro, want a PnB, what do I do?

rafklm

Aug 4, 2005
Denver
new to necro, want a PnB, what do I do?

I am used to playing a barb and have no exp. with necro. I am intersted in a PnB but don't know the best way to build. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Thanks. :cool:

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
There are bonemancers, poisonmancers, and combinations that focus on poison and bone. Without the free synergies from marrowwalks nowadays it's probably best to focus on one or the other.

It takes 102 points to fully synergize the bone attacks with prereqs so if you want a full strength bone attack it doesn't leave room for anything else unless you're actually planning on making it to lvl 99 (takes forever). Even pure bonemancers are quite versatile being able to throw up walls and prisons on top of ranged pure magic attacks (not many immunities) while having a strong bone armor buffer. I would recommend shaving 10 points off to get some curses and a golem if you're new to necros though.

It takes 69 points to crank poison to its maximum potential when you include Lower Resists which leaves a lot more elbow room for hybridization. Another 24 points to get skeletons at SM/RS 1/20 and Summon Resist is a popular and very effective option for PvM. A poison build with good gear is one of the fastest monster killers in Hell but it's less powerful against bosses. Not really a great MF build since it's pretty gear intensive.

If you've never played a necro though, I'd reccomend a summoner first. They really teach you an appreciation for all the curses. You can get by spamming like a sorc with the caster builds but necro players who are familiar with the myriad of one point wonders this class has to offer are a lot more effective.

Check out the guides for more details.

vladti3

Oct 15, 2004
rE:

I haven't played a Necromancer in a long time and thought it would be fun to try. I've read a few articles about poisonmancers, bonemancers, summoners... all that stuff. But i'm going the hybrid route like you.

I've been testing on some character planner things and I think I've come up with a well rounded build. This uses all 120 points, which I doubt I'll ever get... but I had to plan ahead.

Skill points -

20 in Poison Dagger (i have nice daggers)

20 in poision nova (synergy plus crowd damage)

10 points in corpse explosion (main crowd control spell. Level 5 will probably get the job done, so there are 5 points to use wherever)

1 point in bone armor

20 points in bone wall (strictly for the synergy, maybe to save my arse too)

20 points in bone spirit ( i needed a ranged spell, one that can initiate unlike corpse explosion)

9 points in lower resist (many say 7, only one mor percent at 8, yet two at 9.. so that looked like a spot to me.. after 9 it is 1 percent per level)

10 in clay golem, for slowing effect + meat shield

1 in golem mastery (certainly better than putting 11 in clay golem)

1 in all prerq.

Obviously I haven't maxed the poison or the bone synergies, so there will be characters that deal more damage with either. but i can use both =) which i think gives more flexibility and adds to the fun. I was going to ignore bone spirit at first, but i forgot how much that spell owns. and like i said, i needed a ranged attack that didn't call for a corpse.

With that considered I'm still getting a +410 AR percent bonus on my dagger along with 3000 + poison damage (these numbers might not be completely accurate anymore...) with poison nova doing around 1200 damage over 2 seconds and a bone spirit that does up to 856 damage. Throw in a golem that slows enemies by 51 percent and corpse explosion with a 5.6 yard radius and I think my character will get er done.

I'm putting this as a suggestion for rafklm (the former barbarian) but I'd also like to know what others think about this. Maybe dropping a few poins here and adding them there? I'm not too certain about my stat distribution either, so any help is welcome!

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
That's not a bad plan but I would definitely trim points more so you can get more in the synergies for your attack skills. Lower Resist and Corpse Explosion are 1 point wonders. Extra points can be nice if you have them to spare but with this build I don't think you do. The clay golem is a 3 point wonder. 1 in Master, CG, and Summon Resists is all you need for nice slow ability and an excellent tank. If you focus your gear on +all skills where possible all those 1 pointers should do just fine.

Remember, monsters in Hell get up to 15-20K life. I would try to get 50 points into poison and dump the remaining into bone. I would suggest a point in Dim Vision too. It's a great way to shut down enemies before they start to mob you and ranged attackers are a danger to any build.

I think the bone/poison combo took a serious hit with the loss of the marrowalk synergies but it should still be viable. More focused builds will definitely be more powerful though. Bone just needs a lot of synergies to be reasonably effective now and both bone and poison work a lot better with gear specifically oriented towards either or. Mixing it up makes them both a lot weaker.

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator
Jun 24, 2003
In a cave
Visit site
vladti3 said:
This uses all 120 points, which I doubt I'll ever get... but I had to plan ahead.

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses.

Unfortunately you only get 110 points...so you will have to do some shaving. Also you forgot a point in Summon resist.

Pherdnut said:
I think the bone/poison combo took a serious hit with the loss of the marrowalk synergies but it should still be viable.

Well hks489 thinks it isn't really viable anymore. He considers the demise of the Marrowwalk bug the demise of that build.

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
Well, yeah, it's certainly not a very strong build, but then I think a build with 3 points in the CG, 1 point in corpse explode and curses up to Attract and Decrepify is viable.

Not that I'd necessarily want to prove that. :D

vladti3

Oct 15, 2004
thanks for the advice guys. I've trimmed it down to the allowed 110 points :eek: (ty)

I'm taking your advice and leaving the Clay Golem where it is at (I already put 3 points in it) and using one more for mastery and another for summon resist.

I'll leave my CE at level 4 ( why did i have to boost these already!?!?!?)

Throw 10 points into Poison Explosion for increased synergy. Add another point for Dim Vision (right now I'm having no problem, but I do see them happenning in higher difficulties)

I'd really like to put at least 2 points in Lower Resist as the extra 6% is considerable. But as mentioned, I'm already stretched to the limit on skill points.

I will have to tweak it as the need arises. I think this is going to be a fun build once it gets going though. Having a wide variety of attacks is just my thing =) Otherwise I'd just play a two skill Paladin... :p

Ast

May 12, 2005
NYC
I'd suggest not playing this char of yours all the way up. Try to play up to around 80. Then see what you like, and remake the char.

Some tips...
1 - Leave LR, CE, CG, SR and GM at level1. They're just not worth the extra points. Actually same applies for all curses. The most useful curses are Amp, Decrep, LR and Lifetap. You can do just fine without any other ones.

2 - You wont be able to be an uber killer like a barb, no matter what kind of nec you make, with the exception of smart use of CE, you're gonna be a support char.

3 - To go even further with #2, you'll have to totally synergize one build or another to be decent - at killing - in higher difficulties. Combining the builds will just leave you angry... especially since the gear requirements are so vastly different.

4 - End of marrowwalk is not the end of necros. I personally view it as the best thing that ever happened. Now you can actually wear useful boots (my favorite being hotspurs).

5 - A well equipped well made bone necro is probably the best tank possible, in my opinion.

6 - if you ever come to the point (when making a bone nec) where you have to choose which synergy to max, this is the order that I personally suggest: (NOTE: this is strictly for PvP)
Spear - main damager
Prison - synergizes both armor and spear - great crowd controller.
Teeth - 2nd most useful damager - great for low level rushing
Spirit - limited use due to being only able to hit 1 target and very high mana cost.
Wall - you're probably not gonna finish maxing this, but that's ok.
If you're not planning to duel much, probably max wall third.

Welcome to the wonderful world of necs :p

Harleyquin

Apr 12, 2005
Using a pure bonemancer makes you vulnerable to magic-immune monsters. Some like the wailing beast and occasional frenzytaur can make things difficult so a well-built merc is essential to take out immunes. Bosses shouldn't be a problem though.

I'd recommend concentrating on either poison or bone spells but not both. A jack of two trades is a master of neither. Also a single point in each curse and in corpse explosion should suffice, both builds look for increases in +skills which will raise the radius sufficiently for the endgame

Ast

May 12, 2005
NYC
Also, to follow up more on Harleyquin's post, here's another tip.

When you meet a magically immune monster (probably wailing beasts when doing Lam Essen's tome and Ancient Horadrim if you're doing Tombs or 2nd spawn of baal's minions), AMP them all, herd them around, then kill as many non magically immune monster as you can, then do a massive series of follow up corpse explosions. Ofcourse, if you have lower resist, and know the monster's resistances well, it might be better to LR them sometimes. :clap: