• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

New to Necro = Questions / Summoner

deathbyfish

Jul 25, 2005
New to Necro = Questions / Summoner

I will be experimenting the Summonancer for the very first time tomrrow, and I'd like to learn a little about them before I do so. Note: This is strictly a pvm build with a rare/occasional mf run. While answering these questions, assume that what items I use are not an issue.

Raise Skeleton/Raise Skeleton Mage
Which is better? Is it better to max one and leave the other alone? Max both, or split it between them?

Golem/Golem Mastery
Which Golem would best fit this build? I've heard some people say clay for slow, some say iron for thorns, which is it, and is it worth maxing? And how many points should be put into Golem Mastery?

Summon Resist/Revive
Is 1 point enough for Summon Resist? What about Revive, does it even deserve any points?

Corpse Explosion/Bone
I will be maxing Corpse Explosion most definitely, but are bone armor or bone wall worth points?

Amplify Damage/Lower Resist
Every build I've read and every time I read a post that mentions Amplify Damage, everyone says it's definitely worth some points. My question is how many? And I assume that Lower Resist is only worth it if you put points in Raise Skeleton Mage. If you say Mage is worth it, how many points into Lower Resist, if any?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Peace out homie sho' fizzle my nizzle swizzle dizzle. (that golf commercial with Snoop Dog was just on. :))

Hi. I've only played with a Boner, but I pretty much troll the forums, so whatever I say is based on what I've read. :)

If I'm wrong on anything, blame the Necromancer forum for not posting correct information while I was trolling. :D

deathbyfish said:
Raise Skeleton/Raise Skeleton Mage
Which is better? Is it better to max one and leave the other alone? Max both, or split it between them?

Raise Skeleton is the important one - you'll be relying on your melee Skeletons much more than your Mages. Raise Skeleton should be maxed. No splitting. Raise Skeleton = Maxed.

As for Mages, you can dump some points into them, or all/none if you like. Most Summonancers leave this open and optional. Some people like them, some people don't.

deathbyfish said:
Golem/Golem Mastery
Which Golem would best fit this build? I've heard some people say clay for slow, some say iron for thorns, which is it, and is it worth maxing? And how many points should be put into Golem Mastery?

Clay Golem is teh leet Golem, unless you're willing to make an uber leet Iron Golem. The Thorns on Iron Golem isn't too helpful anyway. No, they are not worth maxing. They don't do much killing - they're there simply for their abilities (such as slow) and to serve as an additional distraction/tank. 1 point only in your Golems, and 1 point in Golem Mastery. Let your +Skills do the rest.

deathbyfish said:
Summon Resist/Revive
Is 1 point enough for Summon Resist? What about Revive, does it even deserve any points?

Yes, 1 point is enough me thinks, let +Skills do the rest. Revive is another one of those in-between things - some people think they're dumb, some people like them. Everyone seems to dump in 1 point regardless.

deathbyfish said:
Corpse Explosion/Bone
I will be maxing Corpse Explosion most definitely, but are bone armor or bone wall worth points?

1 point in Bone Armour, dump a couple in Bone Wall for synergy bonuses. Investing in Bone Wall gives you more defense than investing in Bone Armour.

deathbyfish said:
Amplify Damage/Lower Resist
Every build I've read and every time I read a post that mentions Amplify Damage, everyone says it's definitely worth some points. My question is how many? And I assume that Lower Resist is only worth it if you put points in Raise Skeleton Mage. If you say Mage is worth it, how many points into Lower Resist, if any?

Curses are basically your leftover investments, since I think extra points only increase radius and duration. I've never actually read specifically how 'much' to dump into Amplify Damage and Lower Resist - although if you do go Mages, I think you'll want to max Lower Resist.

AnimeCraze

Jul 13, 2005
Vancouver
I would agree on pretty much everything that is said above. Personally, I don't think bone armor is necessary unless you really have a lot of points left over. As for the curses, do get at least 1 in pretty much every curse. Even ones that might not seem useful, like dim vision. Dim vision is good for getting rid of the ever-hateful souls. Make sure you get decrify even if you are not getting lower resist. Lifetap seems to be good if you are helping someone to trist. As for extra in curses, if you have a good amount of +skills, it doesn't really seem necessary to put anymore in. They doesn't take much mana so you can spam them anyways. :lol:

deathbyfish

Jul 25, 2005
Alright guys. I still don't know what I'm going to do with Skeleton Mage and Lower Resist though. Someone needs to... convince me. ;)

deathbyfish

Jul 25, 2005
I just thought of something, actually... I know someone recommeneded clay golem since it can slow enemies, but what about creating an iron golem from insight runeword, so it has meditation? This would also allow you to give your merc a better weapon in itself.

Just thinking...

akuma

Oct 31, 2003
2 ideas come to mind with an iron golem:

1: using something like the IK maul to make the golem. that 40% cb will really help you out.

2: making the golem out of a pala shield with 4 p diamonds in it. makes it really hard to kill

the problem is, as with all summonables, is that IM will kill them. meaning that you'll probably regret making that golem out of your only botd weapon ;)

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator
Jun 24, 2003
In a cave
Visit site
deathbyfish said:
I still don't know what I'm going to do with Skeleton Mage and Lower Resist though. Someone needs to... convince me. ;)

Convince you about what? Mages are straight forward. They have caster AI so the form a cordon around you to protect you from harm. They are less sturdy than the Skellies.
The Fire and Lighting Mages add an elemental punch to your army. The Cold Mages provide some slow and the Poison Mages are for PMH. The damage will be lower than what your Skellies can attain since you won't be using LR all the time and there are no Mercs that boost their damage. Without LR and Conviction they are a nice back-up for your Skellies and help to speed things up. With LR or Conviction they start to do some real damage and a real asset to your team.

Overall I like the Mages. I like the fact that they provide another defensive line. I like their damage although it is somewhat less than that of the Skellies. They work wonders against hard PI's. When I give my Merc an Infinity weapon both my Mages and Skellies shine and the Army becomes something to be really afraid off.

Also a pure Summoner doesn’t have that many options.

deathbyfish said:
I just thought of something, actually... I know someone recommeneded clay golem since it can slow enemies, but what about creating an iron golem from insight runeword, so it has meditation?

You could do that if you are willing to sacrifice your Insight. The Golem can sometimes just disappear even if you aren’t attacking anything.

corax

Jan 11, 2004
australia
deathbyfish said:
I could see where they would come in handy, is it worth maxing? (Mage)

yup. if you want a pure summomancer. if not your better off using those 20 points for another skill./synergies.

Just a question for my own interests (hope you don't mind deathbyfish):

In PvP and PvM (against bosses), would a pure Summonancer with Skellies and Mages do more damage (assuming the Necro teleports onto the thing at hand) or would a Summonancer with skills in Poison (partially synergised) do more damage?

What I'm getting at is, do 10+ Skellies and a couple of Revives do enough damage to players/bosses that the contribution of Mages is not necessary? Or would another 10+ Mages guarantee the death of a player upon teleportation?

deathbyfish

Jul 25, 2005
Alright, so this is what I'm going to make here:

20 Skeleton Mastery
20 Raise Skeleton
20 Raise Skeleton Mage
20 Corpse Explosion
1 Clay Golem
1 Golem Mastery
10+ Lower Resist
10+ Amplify Damage

Enough str for items
Rest into vitality

Sound good?

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator
Jun 24, 2003
In a cave
Visit site
deathbyfish said:
Sound good?

You could skimp a bit on the LR and Amp. LR has severe diminishing returns after level 7 and that is easy to reach with just +skills. Amp can get a decent range with +skills. You should experiment a bit with it before upping the range.

Don’t forget to place a point in Summon Resist.

omgwtfbbqpwned said:
In PvP and PvM (against bosses), would a pure Summonancer with Skellies and Mages do more damage (assuming the Necro teleports onto the thing at hand) or would a Summonancer with skills in Poison (partially synergised) do more damage?

What I'm getting at is, do 10+ Skellies and a couple of Revives do enough damage to players/bosses that the contribution of Mages is not necessary? Or would another 10+ Mages guarantee the death of a player upon teleportation?

That depends on gear and the opponent you are fighting. It is hard to say on forehand.