• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Need merc advice!

HonMan

Jun 30, 2005
Need merc advice!

Which one is stronger/more helpful/can stay alive longer: Might merc or barb?

Jun 3, 2004
Bangor, Maine
The more helpful one would be the Might merc, since he gives you a bonus aura.

As for which is better, it's about weapons. If you've got a crazy two-handed weapon ready for a barb to use it might be worth it; otherwise, an aura is always appreciated.

essojay

Jun 26, 2004
NH
^ That is, a crazy 2handed sword. If you've got a crazy 2-handed spear or polearm, then, well.... :lol:

Might merc is probably better.

kazh

Hm, the one that stays alive a LOT more than the others is the Act2 Defensive, from Normal or Hell, whose auras are the same: Defiance, a HUGE increase in its defense and yours too. In Nightmare, the Defensive one has the holy freeze aura, which is also very useful, depending on your build...

If you want a Tank: Get a Act2 Normal/Hell Defensive merc; (Defiance Aura)
If you want to slow things down: Act 2 Nightmare Defensive merc; (Holy Freeze Aura)
If you want to increase his and your damage: Act 2 Nightmare Offensive merc. (Might Aura)

Give him a great polearm class weapon, an armor with lots of defense and a headgear with some good mods...Aim for Crushing Blow, Death Strike mods, and you will see your merc really killing mobs. Guillaume's Face, from Orphans Call set, is a nice shot. :)

Hope I helped...

Kazh

whomhead

Jun 26, 2003
Monterey, CA
Visit site
I'd take a Holy Freeze merc over either of those two. Almost every one of my chars goes HF if given the chance.

However, if that's what you're set on, then for survivability and utility the Might merc wins. Hands down.