• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Need for updated guides and FAQ

Jun 28, 2003
South Carolina
Visit site
Need for updated guides and FAQ

As i'm sure many of you have noticed... our guides, are in a varying state of up to dateness... I think it would be good for us to list down guides for conventional builds (AKA actually based around skills instead of an item)

Also, Heav, i really think we should change the formating of the guide thread so as to make it slightly more astetically (I think that is spelt right) pleasing. I'm going to be on the forums alot for the next couple of days so i'll try to make a template perhaps... I'll explain the reason why i will be on here alot to you in a pm later.

As for the FAQ: If any of you number crunchers care to possibly help compile all the formulas that are paladin relevant, perhaps we can update that as well. I'm not honestly up to the task at the moment... numbers scare me... lol

-Gohan

HeavAngel

Paladin Moderator
Jun 22, 2003
Heaven Just Past The Stars
Visit site
Hi Gohan,
I agree, the formatting of the Guides needs to be done the right way.
When a member posts their Guide and are told that they don't have good format the members reply isn't so kosher to other members.

I don't have the time to correct all the Guides unfortunately.

If members want their Guides on the Diabloii web site they have to have the correct format and spelling.

I will be answering your p.m. later sorry been a bit busy with the forums and home life.

I'm glad you've taken this on. You're always helping out! I appreciate all your help! :thumbsup:

I'm glad you're back in one piece btw :)

Jun 28, 2003
South Carolina
Visit site
Alright below I’ve included a list of all the guides. I have put an asterisk ( * ) next to the ones that I feel will need updating. Please express any differences on opinion please. Also, i think this would be a good way to organize the Guides Thread so as to make it more pleasing to look at, and alot easier to find what you are looking for. ((Btw Heav, i'm sorry for the "Spamming" I'm probally going to be doing in this thread for the next hour or two, i'm just trying to get organized.))

PvM

Hammerdin by Ragnarod *
Tesladin by Wurmer *
Avenger by Cyrus *
Zealot by Cyrus *
Cleric by TheMadOnion *
Frost Zealot by Kitriara *
Storm Ranger by Msa
Mage by Lord Drift *
Fallen Paladin by Gohanthemystic
Ranger by Rane- *
Dragoon by Tastychiken_europe
Smealot (Dclone Killer) by Pougee_au

PvP:

Zealot by stoutwood *
V/T by Pravda *
Vindicator by TheKing
Templar by WvX_Leader
Liberator by LovelyGods
Smiter by Imperor_III

Item Based Builds:

Palabear/Were Templar by ZeroUnit
Fireball Templar by archon_aus
Torch-a-din by Sir SDG
Dreamer by Pougee_au
Dreamadin by Doll Call
Disciple of Doom by JanusJones
Zerk-a-din AKA Relinquisher by jordy666
Fireball Paladin by Shr00mtrip & archon
Day Dreamer by IMCanadian
Auradin by raffster

Optimizations

Max Damage Hammerdin by captain_bogus
V/T Optimization by Strength_Honor

Also, i want to get a group together to update the FAQ, anyone interested in helping please pm me. Template for submitted guides might be a good idea as well. Get more of our guides in the strat comp! ^_^

-Gohan

Jun 28, 2003
South Carolina
Visit site
Alright, as I’m sure a couple of you know, although not very active (I haven’t really known much about the game until recently) I’ve been here for quite some time, going on 2 years this month. Unlike many of the vets, I’ve tried to stay out of getting banned even once, so, I figure I would like to try to bring this forum back to its former glory. To try to help insure this, I have a template for guides put together from what I’ve observed from the guides approved for the strategy compendium. First though let me go over the basics on submission.

Basics:

• All guides ready for submission to strategy forum should be free from spelling and grammatical errors. If you don’t have a word processing program to spell check yours then you can do so online here.
  • All guides should have some form of formatting. It makes them both easier to read and more pleasing to the eye.
  • The person that submits guides for the strategy compendium is our wonderful mod, so we want to put up work that she finds worthy. (Hint Hint give us some input on what you’d like to see Heav ))
  • Each guide should undergo atleast one revision before you ask for it to be submitted to the strategy forum. This will allow you to add in things found thru input by other players
  • All guides in this forum can essentially be divided into four types:
PvM- Builds meant for actually playing thru the game

PvP- Builds meant for dueling other players

Item Based- Builds centered around a certain item, usually a runeword

Optimizations- Guides showing how to get the most damage with the builds described above.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Now it is time for the actual template itself. Each guide in the strategy forum has these in common. Any input however would be appreciated.

Template for submitted guides
Introduction

This section of the guide, should let people know allittle about you, your experience with the game, and perhaps a brief overview of your build

Why use this build? (Optional)

This section, while optional, is a good one to have. Why should people play your build as opposed to the many others out there? Making this section might help you attract the audience that you made the guide for.

Stat point allocation (or Stats)
This is usually pretty much a given on what people will tell you to do. Enough Strength for equipment, Dexterity for 75% to block, Rest in vitality, none in energy. While that works, good guides will give you numbers to shoot for based on the equipment they will suggest later.

Skill point allocation (or Skills)
This section, makes your build a build. Without any skills, your build is just a very weak beat stick. It might would be useful to go over any variations you can come up with, to your build. What separates a good guide from a great one, is right here. Explain why you use the skills you do. If you would like to separate the skills into their tabs while explaining them, it does look slightly more pleasing to the eye, and well organized.

Equipment
Here is where you discuss the weapons, armors, helms, shields, gloves, boots, belts, rings, amulets, and charms used with your build. The separator between a good guide and a bad one is how specific they are. In a PvP guide, no one really expects a cheap option, so it isn’t really need. It’s nice if you can come up with a cheap way to do your build, but most people understand that PvP is a rich man’s game (for the most part). For PvM however, don’t assume that everyone has tons of high runes worth of gear. Try to include cheap/untwinked options, for those poor people like me ^_^. Of course if you have an item-based build, tell us what the item does!!!

Mercenary
This is a section that can really make or break a build. Some builds are so powerful that they can kill without one. Other builds however, would do well to remember that a good mercenary can save you a lot of hassle. Equip him as you would yourself, sometimes even better. Reflect this in your guide. Show items that you should equip if you choose a certain mercenary over another. If you happen to recommend one mercenary over all the others, try to tell people why you think that is the only real good option.

Playing Strategies ( aka Hints or Dueling Strategies)
Here depends on what kind of guide you are making

PvP: Include strategies against any other PvP builds that you can think of that you’ve fought.

PvM: Include strategies on how to level up early on, what skills you should use prior to getting your main attack skill, how to get around areas that commonly cause problems for your build. Give suggestions on when would be safe to progress to the next difficulty level. Also, include something about how to deal with immunes

Item-based / Optimizations: Use the rules for the main category it falls under aka PvM or PvP

Some damage numbers
(Optional)
While optional, this section will show people the raw power of your build. Don’t just include damage numbers tho, also include defense and stats.

Final notes
This is where you should give credit to anyone who helped you, anyone whose guide you used as a stepping stone, and also where to possibly leave a little humor for them to enjoy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That about concludes that little morsel of my Obsessive compulsiveness. I hope this will help our guides both look better and be better than any other forums guide on the site.

-Gohan

RTB

Jun 21, 2003
Dimension of Numbers
The FAQ isn't outdated, it's only missing the new runewords and has a couple of errors left:
The PvP penalty is now 1/6
17%.

Cleansing receives bonuses from:
Prayer: +1 life healed every 2 seconds

Meditation receives bonuses from:
Prayer: +1 life healed every 2 seconds
Including +skills is missing.

The +damage modifier is specially useful in PvP, since it adds the straight amount of damage indicated (it won't be displayed in the character screen) to your attack, without being affected by the PvP penalty, Damage Reduction...
It adds directly to shield dmg and is affected by DR%.

Fist of the Heavens <snip>same as Blessed Hammer, FoH ignores resistances of demons and undeads
Only the Holy Bolts released, the first hit doesn't,

Sanctuary deals magical damage and knocks back Undead monsters, and also adds damage to your attack when fighting Undeads. A very useful feature is that it’ll let you leech from physical immune undead monsters (such as the ghosts in act 2) when it’s active. Unfortunately, it won’t work against Super Unique monsters (such as Pindleskin) and bosses, and it won’t add damage to ranged attacks, just melee ones
When Sanctuary is active the physical resistance of undead is ignored (only for the character/merc with Sanctuary active), even if it's negative. It doesn't add any additional dmg to undead, and has a tiny mana cost, just like Prayer.

Zeal notation isn't quite right anymore, but accurate enough. It's more like 6/4/4/4/6, but the actual values may differ a bit.

Jun 28, 2003
South Carolina
Visit site
Yeah, the FAQ part was mainly adding things about the runeword "a la" Grief DOESN'T work with Vengence!!! Thanx for posting in the thread tho RTB, you're definately someone in the know on these kinda things! :thumbsup:

-Gohan

Cooked

Jul 2, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
Someone make a guide for various Tristum builds?
I wonder if I am up to it, never made a guide before and I am really just a 'newby' to the paladin but, work on a fast learning curve.

[exile]

Sep 28, 2004
Generally Tristram builds are just standard other builds with beefed up Resists, Life Tap, Crushing Blow, simple gear switching like that. I'm not sure a complete Tristram guide would be necessary.

HeavAngel

Paladin Moderator
Jun 22, 2003
Visit site
There has been a bit of a change made.
There's one less Guide.
One less worry.
It's also been deleted. This way no search can be made for it.

I'll have to go through all the Guides before I start this big project.

I don't want any members coming back with example:
*oh this Guide reccomends this hacked, bugged item*
So, yeah it's going to take time.

Keep the FAQ Coming in. Once It's done it's done.

I like the suggestions that are being made.

alinski

Jul 19, 2003
Southern California
Visit site
Hello. Since some of the guides may be based on v1.11, v1.10 or v1.09 and older, can we have the game version on which the guide is based on stated at the start of the guide? Maybe even divide the guides in game versions until they are all updated.

For example: A v1.11 guide for a Ranger may take into account v1.10 ladder-only items that may now be available in non-ladder.

Just my $0.02.

alinski...

HeavAngel

Paladin Moderator
Jun 22, 2003
Visit site
I think the build template should look like this.

Question is who has the time to do reformat all the Guides>?

Anyone want to volunteer>?

RTB: was there anything else you saw that needed to be updated, fixed on the FAQ's>?

Introduction

This section of the guide should contain an overview of the build and some relevant history to it. Things like how the build name came about, how much testing has been done and a little personal history should go here.

Why use this build?

This section, while optional, is a good one to have. Why should people play your build as opposed to the many others out there? Making this section might help you attract the audience that you made the guide for.

Pro’s and Con’s

Optional section. Some analysis of what the build is suited for battling and what areas it will find difficult

Stats
Some details on stat placement should go here. Since not all builds will have the same goal, stat distribution will vary. Some details for each stat should be given and item requirements should go here, especially for item based builds.
Example:
Strength: None, the items x, y and z will provide the boost required for use of item a.
Dexterity: x number of points at level 85, in conjunction with Holy Shield will provide max block.
Vitality: Everything else
Energy: None

Skills
This section, makes your build a build. Without any skills, your build is just a very weak beat stick.

Detail each skill and why the build uses them. List applicable variants here as well.

What separates a good guide from a great one, is right here.

Equipment
Here is where you discuss the weapons, armors, helms, shields, gloves, boots, belts, rings, amulets, and charms used with your build. The separator between a good guide and a bad one is how specific they are. In a PvP guide, no one really expects a cheap option, so the details should be focused on the end game items the build will utilize. Some gear for low and mid levels can be helpful to those that do any solo leveling.

For PvM however, don’t assume that everyone has tons of high runes worth of gear. Inclusion of inexpensive or untwinked gear is almost a must. Of course if you have an item-based build, tell us what the item does!!!

Mercenary
This is a section that can really make or break a build. Some builds are so powerful that they can kill without one. Other builds however, would do well to remember that a good mercenary can save you a lot of hassle. Equip him as you would yourself, sometimes even better. Reflect this in your guide. Show items that you should equip if you choose a certain mercenary over another. If you happen to recommend one mercenary over all the others, try to tell people why you think that is the only real good option.

Playing Strategies ( aka Hints or Dueling Strategies)
Here depends on what kind of guide you are making

PvP: Include strategies against any other PvP builds that you can think of that you’ve fought.

PvM: Include strategies on how to level up early on, what skills you should use prior to getting your main attack skill, how to get around areas that commonly cause problems for your build. Give suggestions on when would be safe to progress to the next difficulty level. Also, include something about how to deal with immunes

Statistics
While optional, this section will show people the raw power of your build. Damage, Attack Rating, Defense and other statistics can give your build a final polish.

Final notes
This is where you should give credit to anyone who helped you, anyone whose guide you used as a stepping stone, and also where to possibly leave a little humor for them to enjoy.

Jun 28, 2003
South Carolina
Visit site
Um, i think i'll be able to do afew reformats. Just tell me which ones you'd want me to work on (Not more than 3 right now tho i'm afraid... i'm still kinda sick...) It'll give me something to do. Just making sure i'm not going blind. But that template is similiar to the one i posted right? That way i'll know i can just plug info into it :)

~Gohan

HeavAngel

Paladin Moderator
Jun 22, 2003
Visit site
gohanthemystic said:
Um, i think i'll be able to do afew reformats. Just tell me which ones you'd want me to work on (Not more than 3 right now tho i'm afraid... i'm still kinda sick...) It'll give me something to do. Just making sure i'm not going blind. But that template is similiar to the one i posted right? That way i'll know i can just plug info into it :)

~Gohan
Yes it is. I just edited a few things and made a few minor changes for your eyes to see.

Great, glad you're up for this challege.
:scratch: How about you just start picking.
The ones on the website can't be changed.

But, if these get changed, then they will be able to also be placed on the honorable website.

Just don't overwhelm yourself. Take your time. I really appreciate you and all your care for the forum and the members.
:thumbsup:

Jun 28, 2003
South Carolina
Visit site
Guild thread?

I really hope you mean GUIDE thread... otherwise i'm really confused.

Although.. maybe we SHOULD have a guild of paladins, I can see the 8 paladin parties already.

2 Hammerdins
1 Avenger
1 Tesladin
1 Frost Zealot
1 Fire Zealot
1 Fanatic Zealot
1 Medic

Ah the fun we could have....

-Gohan