• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

My new zerker, he's INTENSE!!!

abarlament

Aug 4, 2005
WV
My new zerker, he's INTENSE!!!

WOW. I've never had a zerker before, and after playing my fishymancer for so long, it is just INTENSE how you have to play zerkers. With war cry so low one slip up and I can be dead. Button mashing is the name of the game, what with zerking, popping potions, and war crying/howling depending on the situation. This is hella fun and I advice everyone to get one going.

sirpoopsalot

May 24, 2005
dranking tequila
yeah, after Fred got boring whirling all over the place I started using 'zerk more. Much more fun than WW, and the polearm damage can climb up there pretty fast too. Good luck with the barb.

abarlament

Aug 4, 2005
WV
Um, I just had a "wtf" moment. I have been planning on using the IK set this whole time, but uh, that's not exactlyt "optimal" for a pure zerker is it? I mean, shouldn't I be going for something with: less STR requirement (means more life), I have 127 str at the moment at lvl 45, more crushing blow, stuff like that? Should I completely scrap my idea of working up to using full IK set?

PsionicAngel

Jun 23, 2003
Heaven
Visit site
I'd say use whatever you want to. There is not a "You must follow this setup to make the build work" with berserk. I would use the IK set, just to have a shinny looking berserking barb. :)

abarlament

Aug 4, 2005
WV
So what's the bottom line? Should I still be going for full IK set, or would I see better results from wearing Skins of the Vipermagi, Peasant Crown, Ribcracker (upping it when I get the runes and levels), Bloodfist, belt and boots with res?

abarlament

Aug 4, 2005
WV
Anyone? IK set, or a combination of other gear? I found a Steeldriver I can use, then upgrade, which is what Nightfish said he used to beat the game, so it can't be that bad...

I also have Bloodfist gloves, Peasant Crown hat, Skins/Spirit Shroud/Twitchthroe, Nat's boots, etc etc, do you think it would be wise to forego on the IK set (trading it, or using it on a different char), and use the combination of uniques/set pieces? This way I can stop with the str I have now, around 127, and put every other point I have into vit.

sirpoopsalot

May 24, 2005
dranking tequila
Do you plan to make multiple barb builds in the near future? IMO, you might as well use the IK set while you're on a barb, unless you're going to do several builds.

Also, I like being somewhat original, and I don't recall reading any IK 'zerker threads lately. Everyone is IK whirl this, and IK whirl that (don't get me wrong, when I find that IKSC, you can bet I'm gonna build an IK whirler :p ).

abarlament

Aug 4, 2005
WV
What are the advantages/disadvantages to using the IK armor, helm, gloves, belt, maul, and boots as opposed to Skins of the Vipermagi, Peasant Crown, Bloodfist, Credendum/Hit Power, Upped Steeldriver, and Nats boots? Those would give some good resists, + skills, mana, IAS, and run/walk.

sirpoopsalot

May 24, 2005
dranking tequila
Uh... you'd look cooler :p ? To be honest, I couldn't tell you. I guess you'll have higher defence with the IK set, but that's pretty pointless to a 'zerker. I guess it's really a personal preference.

That said, IMO, what's the point of having a l33t set without giving it a try? Caveat: I'm pretty hypocritical in that statement, since I have a full Tal's set collecting dust ;) - but I wanted to try my Griffons / Ormus / Mara's / Eschuta's - then a few other builds - first.

abarlament

Aug 4, 2005
WV
IK Set
------
+3 Skills
+4 warcries
40% IAS
234-321 damage w/ 35% crushing blow
+200% Damage Against Demons
+250% Damage Against Undead
When struck: 5% lvl 5 enchant, 12% lvl 4 charged bolt
+50% Resistance To All
+3 to All Skills
+150 Life
-10 Magical Damage Taken
+560 AR (more with my full Angelic jewelry)
40% r/w
50% PR
28% FR
31% LR
+45 str
+20 dex
+44 life

Ok, whew, that took a while to get all that down :) now I'll do the same deal with the uniques/sets I already own:

Hodgepodge
------
Natalya's boots-
+40% Faster Run/Walk
+15% Cold Resistance
+15% Lightning Resistance
Credendum
+10 Strength
+10 Dexterity
+15% Resistance To All
Skins of the Vipermagi
+29% Resist All
+30% Faster Cast Rate
Magical Damage Taken Reduced by 9-13
+1 to All Skills
Bloodfist
+40 to Life
+5 to Minimum Damage
10% Increased Attack Speed
30% Faster Hit Recovery
Steeldriver
Not sure of the upped stats.

-------------

So, you know what, even without the increased defense it turns out the IK set does look better. I would have to put 52 more points into str instead of vit with the Hodgepodge rig, but it looks like it's worth it. Thanks poopster for the input! You are probably right nayways, might as well use the IK set, as this probably is the last 2h barb I'm gonna make (swish iron barb next).