• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Most Powerful 1-Hit Melee Build

Xoltotun

Feb 2, 2005
USA
Most Powerful 1-Hit Melee Build

I'm not sure whether or not this has been debated before, but what is the most destructive one-hit strike in the game? I see a lot of threads with people trying to discover the character/skill/build that hits the most within the shortest amount of time, but what would be its opposite? What character packs the most wallop with a single "punch". It doesn't matter what sort of equipment it uses, or whether the damage is physical or elemental...as long as it's melee. I'm thinking of trying a build like this (I assume it would be a barb or paladin), but don't even know where to begin. The damage ratios when one includes the skill, character, and equipment is all over the place. Thoughts?

San

Jul 15, 2004
Finland
Zerker barb. Not many immunes. No defence could be annoying.

Avenger, nothing is immune.

Both can reach huge amounts damage with a big stick.

Scienceguy

Banned
Jul 27, 2005
New York
if your going for the best ONE hit and not trying to kill anything id go with a beserker barb....

max shout , howl, beserk and whatever you want to hit your enemys with (mastery) with a few points into BO of course.

with a doombringer at level 5 beserk and maxed shout, 7 points into howl, maxed sword mastery, yoour above 4k damage, kills anything, immune to physical etc.

BTW i won this. stop posting, it cant be beat.

ChaoticTwitch

Feb 25, 2005
Canada
I agree with whomhead and vajar, the charger is the way to go. im currently making my seconed crusader and ive seen A LOT of one click deaths :cool: .

Doomsayer

Aug 15, 2005
Hell
Scienceguy said:
if your going for the best ONE hit and not trying to kill anything id go with a beserker barb....

max shout , howl, beserk and whatever you want to hit your enemys with (mastery) with a few points into BO of course.

with a doombringer at level 5 beserk and maxed shout, 7 points into howl, maxed sword mastery, yoour above 4k damage, kills anything, immune to physical etc.

BTW i won this. stop posting, it cant be beat.

A good maul barb with conc i find better than zerk. More def>less def as you should know :uhhuh:

Scienceguy

Banned
Jul 27, 2005
New York
agreed but this is total damage. :) zerk does more. Cranium basher with a zerker. mmm destruction.

The Cranium Basher
Thunder Maul
Two-Hand Damage: 125 to 597
Required Strength: 253
Required Level: 87
Mace Class - Normal Attack Speed
Indestructible
Unidentified
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0xee7b656a
+25 to Strength
+221% Enhanced Damage
+20 to Minimum Damage
+20 to Maximum Damage
All Resistances +25
20% Increased Attack Speed
150% Damage to Undead
75% Chance of Crushing Blow
Indestructible
4% Chance to cast Level 1 Amplify Damage on striking

or maybe

The Grandfather
Colossus Blade
One-Hand Damage: 77 to 200
Two-Hand Damage: 178 to 354
Required Dexterity: 110
Required Strength: 189
Required Level: 81
Sword Class - Normal Attack Speed
Indestructible
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 86
Fingerprint: 0xa43d50a5
+20 to Strength
+20 to Energy
+20 to Dexterity
+20 to Vitality
+80 to Life
+208% Enhanced Damage
50% Bonus to Attack Rating
Indestructible
+2 to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)

if you are high enough level.....you never know....

P.S. showing it was just for braggin rights :clap: sorry :D

Doomsayer

Aug 15, 2005
Hell
When i played battle.net i didnt like hammerdins so i made a botd thunder maul. It had like 1.3k maxx dmg on the maul and i pretty much easied all difficulties with him. That was using WW though. I had max dmg of about 20k at lvl 90. I found these kind of barbs more fun to rush with than hammerdins. Im just saying a good maul barb is the way to go on damage.

Gohanman

Jun 23, 2003
Scienceguy said:
agreed but this is total damage. :) zerk does more.
And Leap Attack does more than Zerk.
Fully synergized LA @ slvl 20: +870 percent damage
Fully synergized Zerk @ slvl 20: +835 percent damage

Fully synergized Charge @ slvl 20: +1375 percent damage.

And Fanatacism adds more damage than mastery. So I think we have a clear winner.

teh_roy

Nov 5, 2004
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Gohanman said:
And Leap Attack does more than Zerk.
Fully synergized LA @ slvl 20: +870 percent damage
Fully synergized Zerk @ slvl 20: +835 percent damage

Fully synergized Charge @ slvl 20: +1375 percent damage.

And Fanatacism adds more damage than mastery. So I think we have a clear winner.

First of all, Berserk is pure magical damage. Mummies have immunity to it, but besides that, everything else takes the full damage. In hell, Leap attack does half the damage. Even less on physically resistant monsters or Stone Skin bosses. 870/2 = 435. 835 > 435.

As for Charge, the same thing happens on Hell difficulty as with Leap Attack.

Zerk (835%) + Mastery (123%) = 958%
Charge (1375%) + Fanatacism (373%) = 1748%
1748% / 2 = 874%

Zerk (958%) > Charge (874%). At least on Hell difficulty. In Nightmare and Normal difficulty, you would probably be of a lower level, and thus have less points with which to synergize with. Since charge benefits from synergies much more than berserk, the extra damage output it has over Berserk (ignoring monster resistance, such as NM and Norm difficulties) would not be as dramatic as it is when fully synergized. Due to excessive laziness, I refuse to calculate the damage for a Charger and Zerker in Normal and Nightmare difficulties.

In Hell, though, Zerk simply wins out on raw damage. Yay.

Xoltotun

Feb 2, 2005
USA
Thanks, guys, for all the ideas. Does the Conviction Aura enhance the elemental damage from equipment? If so, why not just build an Avenger and give it the gear with the most +elemental damage? The IK Stone Crusher comes to mind. Assuming elemental damage from equipment stacks with the Conviction Aura, it would seem that you'd only have to add more plain physical damage and a Might merc to reach the hardest one-hit. Is this a completely noobish theory, or am I on to something?

phatbrava

Apr 13, 2005
Romania
www.tmbase.ro
Xoltotun said:
Thanks, guys, for all the ideas. Does the Conviction Aura enhance the elemental damage from equipment? If so, why not just build an Avenger and give it the gear with the most +elemental damage? The IK Stone Crusher comes to mind. Assuming elemental damage from equipment stacks with the Conviction Aura, it would seem that you'd only have to add more plain physical damage and a Might merc to reach the hardest one-hit. Is this a completely noobish theory, or am I on to something?
conviction does not increase your elemental damage, but it lowers your enemies' resistances to cold/fire/light and also their defence.
so any cold/light/fire damage you do will do more damage with conviction aura on (that's the whole idea behind the avenger build), and you will hit more often

Gouda

Jun 23, 2003
Sipping a 1974 Port, at SMAC HQ
Hi,

I don't think it will compete, but a fireclaw bear does do massive damage.
Does take a lot of points to synergize, but you may get some help from the charge bug, depending on which version you play.
With a bunch of rainbow(fire) facets, your damage would be impressive.

Also, a posion using char can achieve insane damage levels. It is probably not the type you were after though, because it may take some time for the monster to die after you hit it (once :lol: ).

Anyway, have fun, which ever one your going after,

Gouda

Jak

Jun 23, 2003
Australia
Visit site
necrolemming said:
IIRC, the global phys res was removed in 1.10. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh, and there are other magic resistant monsters too. Off the top of my head, Hell Wailing Beasts are MI, and Mana Burn bosses are 75% resistant.

You are correct in that the global 50% physical resist was removed in 1.10.

However most monsters do have some form of physical resist anyway. So now some monsters have more than 50% inherently and some have less than 50%. Some may even have none at all. It would take a code guru to extract the mpqs to know for sure.

But my money is also on a charger for pure 1-hit damage. If we are only talking barb, then Leap Attack is crazy. On Bnet I saw a Leap Barb with an ethereal BotD Thunder Maul. He was doing something crazy like 10k+ Damage per leap attack.