• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Most hated words in my life right now: "Failed to Join Game"

Hnoo B

May 10, 2005
California
Most hated words in my life right now: "Failed to Join Game"

Since I don't think this is actually a bug, I'm posting this here instead of the 1.11 bug reports forums (also more likely to actually be noticed here).

Ever since 1.11 came out I have had a really hard time with Failed to Join games and failed to create games (more of the join variety). Now I'll accept that maybe they put in some sort of anti-bot protection to avoid creating games in quick succession, but that has not been my problem at all. Yesterday night I was in the best baal run of my life--somebody was running it perfectly, I was leveling, and then in four out of five continuous games stupid "failed to join" happened. By the last time I decided to stop because the only possible consequence of another failure to join would have been me throwing my computer out the window. I have noticed a) that the failure to join thing happens much more often when joining sequential games like baal runs, and 2) on the first game I try to join after entering battle.net.

The thing that frustrates me to death is that if those stupid doors ain't opening after 2 seconds, I know that the game is going to fail to join/create, but bnet takes it's leisurely time and wastes another 30 or so seconds until I can get back to the join screen. When I try to create a game and it's failing to create it, I've found I can press Esc, and it brings me back to the join menu. However, when I try to join a game, sadly this is not the case. I have to sit on my butt (or more likely, since it's very sadly faster, hit Alt+F4, quit D2, and then reload it).

My question is: is there anyway to get out of the imminent Failed to Join fiasco without waiting for the game to tell me? Press Esc? Quickly type in "god#@$&it Blizzard let me in"? Anything? It has really been driving me nuts recently.

pitcike

Jul 28, 2005
Paris, France
Hnoo B said:
Since I don't think this is actually a bug, I'm posting this here instead of the 1.11 bug reports forums (also more likely to actually be noticed here).

Ever since 1.11 came out I have had a really hard time with Failed to Join games and failed to create games (more of the join variety). Now I'll accept that maybe they put in some sort of anti-bot protection to avoid creating games in quick succession, but that has not been my problem at all. Yesterday night I was in the best baal run of my life--somebody was running it perfectly, I was leveling, and then in four out of five continuous games stupid "failed to join" happened. By the last time I decided to stop because the only possible consequence of another failure to join would have been me throwing my computer out the window. I have noticed a) that the failure to join thing happens much more often when joining sequential games like baal runs, and 2) on the first game I try to join after entering battle.net.

The thing that frustrates me to death is that if those stupid doors ain't opening after 2 seconds, I know that the game is going to fail to join/create, but bnet takes it's leisurely time and wastes another 30 or so seconds until I can get back to the join screen. When I try to create a game and it's failing to create it, I've found I can press Esc, and it brings me back to the join menu. However, when I try to join a game, sadly this is not the case. I have to sit on my butt (or more likely, since it's very sadly faster, hit Alt+F4, quit D2, and then reload it).

My question is: is there anyway to get out of the imminent Failed to Join fiasco without waiting for the game to tell me? Press Esc? Quickly type in "god#@$&it Blizzard let me in"? Anything? It has really been driving me nuts recently.
yeah i understand : me too its making me crazy, especially for self transfer, when u lose ur connection and u tear off ur hair to make it last less than 1 minute ^^
never found any real reason or way to shorten it though sry :lol:

Rehsa

Jul 21, 2004
www.rpage.net
if you get the failed to join game about.... 5 times in a row when you make a game, your character is frozen/bugged for 5-10 minutes. you should be able to create/join games with another character, just not that one.

if you get failed to join game every other game, like join, failed, join, failed, it's just bnet being a pain.

way around this... none that i'm aware of. this has happened to me for a long time.

Angel_Dusted

Aug 29, 2004
Israel
Sadly all I can offer you is my sympathy :( , since I don't know of any way to get around this. As if it wasn't enough to tick you off by failing to join, the system proceeds to smear it in your face by making you wait a full minute looking at either a frozen screen or those cursed golden letters. :mad:

JGoD

Jul 1, 2004
Did you know that if you are stuck at the door waiting for it to open (usually means a FTJ) you can press ALT + F4 and be brought back to the lobby?

It's a great tip and I don't know how much time it has saved me. You could even put this as a sticky tip. :)

Hnoo B

May 10, 2005
California
JGoD said:
Did you know that if you are stuck at the door waiting for it to open (usually means a FTJ) you can press ALT + F4 and be brought back to the lobby?

That only works for creating games, not joining games.

raffster said:
Don't feel to bad. At least nobody ever told you: "I'm divorcing you if you don't stop playing diablo."

Wow, has that actually happened to you? I play Diablo WITH my girlfriend (and I have a couple of online friends who are married too, although they're gone for a while cuz they had MH and got banned).... You need to somehow get your wife to play the game, get addicted, and then want to get items from you :)

Urzaserra256

Jul 3, 2003
I know that make in one of the early patches if i had this problem 9 out of 10 times i fixed it by dletening my bncache.dat file in the d2 directory then i could join games.