• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Most Annoying Grammar/Spelling Mistakes

Evrae Altana

Aug 13, 2005
Rubby Ducky
Most Annoying Grammar/Spelling Mistakes

In your opinion, what is the most annoying grammar/spelling mistake people make on B.net? I'm not an English professor or anything, but by the way some of these kiddies speak, you would think they were in Kindergarten or something. Here are my B.net grammar peeves:

There/Their/They're: These cannot be used interchangably. Know what they mean and when to use them. It doesn't take that much effort.

Your/You're: Same as above.

As for spelling, people misspell the words you would think no one would ever misspell. Words like armer, wepan, achnthes (ancients?), dalboa (it's the name of the game too...)

Anyways, what are your B.net grammar/spelling peeves?

Freezing Rain

May 25, 2005
It pisses me off so much when i see games like:
BRG SHEAL
SHEAL HERE

And i go into a game, asking if anyone has a shael rune to trade so i can make rhyme, suddenly this bright idiot screams, "WUG 4 SHEAL????"

Jul 27, 2005
Evrae Altana said:
In your opinion, what is the most annoying grammar/spelling mistake people make on B.net? I'm not an English professor or anything, but by the way some of these kiddies speak, you would think they were in Kindergarten or something. Here are my B.net grammar peeves:

There/Their/They're: These cannot be used interchangably. Know what they mean and when to use them. It doesn't take that much effort.

As for spelling, people misspell the words you would think no one would ever misspell. Words like armer, wepan, achnthes (ancients?), dalboa (it's the name of the game too...)

i hate these
your youre ur

hack hack hax

suck sux

elite leet 1337

mispell misspell

pwn own

newb noob

melee dule/duel

can't think of any atm

Freezing Rain

May 25, 2005
IstinkTherefourIAM said:
i hate these
your youre ur

hack hack hax

suck sux

elite leet 1337

mispell misspell

pwn own

newb noob

melee dule/duel

can't think of any atm

Dual me now! xD

Dad Daniel

May 7, 2005
Sofia
I hate most of all this one:

"N offerts" or " Make me Offert, plz...", or something including "offerTs".

:grrr:

Hacknshoot

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
I have a list that I hate, but I get over it.

u
ur
ure
i(the non-capitalized one- can't people use the shift button?)
noob
sheal(for crying out loud... can't people type right? lol)
cm(means come)

And more...

Ãœber

Aug 12, 2005
Act 5
Kireiray said:
It pisses me off so much when i see games like:
BRG SHEAL
SHEAL HERE

And i go into a game, asking if anyone has a shael rune to trade so i can make rhyme, suddenly this bright idiot screams, "WUG 4 SHEAL????"

you cant expect people NOT to use abbreviations for game names

cmon?

nobody would write "bring mephistos brain", thats to long obviously. they would just say "brg brain". Plus games that are spelled correctly would be taken, so get used it

Cruzn

Aug 1, 2005
U - Come on, type the two other letters!; You
Pplz/Ppl - I guess people have some problems with vowels?; People
Teh - If you can't spell this word go back to first grade.; The
werd(s) - I'd like to buy a vowel... E! Sorry there are no E's; Word(s)
r - Same with 'U'.; Are
rong - Please add a W.; Wrong.

I'd like to pause and say i've made a sentance.; You people the words are wrong. :clap:

i - Capitalize it people!; I
im/cant/youre/theyre - Apostraphes are your friends!; I'm, Can't, You're, They're
armer/wepan/bots(boots)/glovs(gloves) - I see these words misspelled so many times. I can see it once but most people type them like this all the time.

Thats all I can squeeze out...

nydo

Sep 21, 2003
New York City
How about loose, as in to loose all your marbles? That mispelling is so common, I think many people won't even notice what is wrong :D

Evrae Altana

Aug 13, 2005
Rubby Ducky
I'll forgive an occasional mistake or if the word they're trying to spell is rediculously long or underused, but some people just have a complete lack of grammar and spelling skills.

Example: cna u hep meh wit achtnhes pllzzzz??
can yu gib me itamz four freeeez?

BS like this makes me want to vomit. People need to learn some English skills, and by skills, I don't mean you have to become a PhD in English, but rather just type with some decency.

carrothers

Jun 22, 2005
Des Moines, Iowa
www.justan.0nyx.com
The worst ones are "WUG" and "WUW". I used to hate going into public games and having Maphack script kiddies look at my gear. Then I'd get 7 people all standing around me saying "WUW for nigma" or "WUW for hoto". First, I'm probably not just going to trade hi level hammerdin gear off of a hi level hammerdin. And second, using "wug" is pretty lame, and causes me to leave games. Chances are, if you use "wug", you're probably going to use even worse grammer and spelling and probably are generally a bad person for me to want to trade with.

Seriously, why couldn't people make nice remarks by saying something like, "Your archon enigma is really nice! Is it for trade?" or "If you like one of my tradeables, I'd like to see what you have to trade for it."

Takes some time typing, but please, using shortcuts reduces communication to a base, unpersonal way. And besides, I don't want to speak/learn esperanto.

OMGWTFROFLN00BLOLLMAOBBQ!!!1!!!!eleventeen!1 :lol:

MapleBarb

Apr 16, 2005
Evrae Altana said:

Why do you assume that anyone who makes a mistake is a kid instead of someone who doesnt speak english as a first language? So, since that's the case why not give them the befenit of the doubt and try to understand they are at least trying to speak english. which is far more then I can say for a lot of people in the states who dont even bother with it at all.

Evrae Altana

Aug 13, 2005
Rubby Ducky
I did not assume anything. I'm not complaining about people who make a single mistake here or there. I'm talking about those who so horribly butcher the English language, it makes people dizzy trying to read it.

I know several people who are trying to learn English and when I read what they write, it's usually clear. Sure, there are a few mistakes here and there, but that's understandable. What I'm talking about is a person who completely disregards any and all grammar and spelling rules, and these are the people I'm talking about.

Anumati

Jun 21, 2003
New Zealand
www.xanga.com
I dislike it when people go "wug wug" in trade screens. I mean, hello, I've opened a trade screen right? That means that I want to trade stuff, right? So why are you asking me "wug" when in about 1 second I'm going to put the stuff in the screen and you're going to see it. Jackass.

Also, people who spam requests. Ok, you say something and no one responds right away, and you give them a minute or two to type a response in case they're killing something or whatever, then repeat yourself. That's fine. I'm talking about the idiots who go "got sol got sol got sol" and fill up half the screen with it. Hello moron, we all saw it the first time. Now, even if I had it, I'm not trading it to you. Putz.

I don't mind typos, but I really do have issues with the people who can't spell things that are right in front of them, like items they have for trade.

Angel_Dusted

Aug 29, 2004
Israel
Ãœber said:
you cant expect people NOT to use abbreviations for game names

cmon?

nobody would write "bring mephistos brain", thats to long obviously. they would just say "brg brain". Plus games that are spelled correctly would be taken, so get used it

He was referring to it being called "Sheal" not "Shael", which is the correct in-game name for the rune.

Along that line things like "Brg Occulus" tick me off - get the name of an item right at least! (it's Oculus IMO).

Again, I don't care that much if you use a few "u"s instead of "you"s but just don't say things like this - "i brg teh occu nw wahts u gib me?" (I know, it's not accurate seeing as there would never be a question mark :rolleyes: )