• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Moderator? I think not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2005
Moderator? I think not

Okay so I'll probably get torn apart for this.. especially being as how I'm somewhat new to the forum.

Just a random vent here..

It's really beginning to bother me how those who are more... vocal, i guess would be the word...on the forums seem to try to take some type of power stance. Numerous threads have shown a regular member of the forum ordering or sort of rudely 'matter of fact stating' to NOT make a thread in one place or to respect certain rules by refraining from saying or doing other things. The reason it bothers me is b/c this is what we have MODERATORS for. Some people may be new to the thread and just b/c they accidentally post a thread as an indepent issue rather than under the 'sticky' or proper category doesn't give members the right to say "next time respect the rules" or "this thread should be closed/banned for being in the inappropriate spot" b/c it is considered "spamming".

Two suggestions:

1) Either help the person out w/ a response or just go about your business. Moderators are here for a reason and if they feel its something worth worrying about or focusing on, then they will take care of it. If it is just bothering you THAT much then pm a moderator. Do NOT take it upon yourself to tell other's what to do or talk to them about respecting the rules. By doing so, YOU are disrespecting the moderators in trying to take their responsibilities into your own hands.

2) If you feel the necessity to take it upon yourself, rather than ordering a person to do or not do something or acting as if you are on some mighty pedestal of power and have the right to interfere, approach it in a more friendly way by say.... gee idk.. "To answer your question blah blah blah... Also, just to let you know there are threads like this already and you can find them in the ___ category. Perhaps, you can find some more informative replies there :D ".

I guess thats all for now. Any replies/opinions/ideas/suggestions/bashes at me are more than welcome. Just thought I'd express myself and see if anyone else feels the same. If I'm overreacting, please let me know :lol:

aman

Assassin Moderator
Mar 23, 2005
Scotland
I have 2 points

1) If people took the time to read the rules there wouldn't be a problem

2) We say it to try and stop you making these mistakes again and also mods can't be here 24/7

And you are over reacting

Aman

mhl12

Jul 3, 2004
USA
here's a simple answer to your complaint.

With the new 1.11 patch and new ladder coming all of a sudden, the community mod (aragorn) is really busy trying to clean up to forums. And everyone knows that mods have a life besides staying online so he cannot possibly be here.

Members who have been here for a long time now the rules and how things are dealt with around here and are only trying to help newcomers and aragorn out and keeping the forum as organized and clean as possible.

If you noticed, Aragorn has already made several sticky announcements about all the new ladder threads/1.11 key threads and saying where they should go and still new threads pop up once in a while.

About the search funtion, it's there for a purpose. For many simple questions about d2, new members can find them in the stickies in each forum. Since many choose not to read those first before making a thread with their question, we have to redirect them as it saves a lot more time for them and ourselves.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
FatalAquaintance said:
Okay so I'll probably get torn apart for this.. especially being as how I'm somewhat new to the forum.

Just a random vent here..

It's really beginning to bother me how those who are more... vocal, i guess would be the word...on the forums seem to try to take some type of power stance. Numerous threads have shown a regular member of the forum ordering or sort of rudely 'matter of fact stating' to NOT make a thread in one place or to respect certain rules by refraining from saying or doing other things. The reason it bothers me is b/c this is what we have MODERATORS for. Some people may be new to the thread and just b/c they accidentally post a thread as an indepent issue rather than under the 'sticky' or proper category doesn't give members the right to say "next time respect the rules" or "this thread should be closed/banned for being in the inappropriate spot" b/c it is considered "spamming".

Two suggestions:

1) Either help the person out w/ a response or just go about your business. Moderators are here for a reason and if they feel its something worth worrying about or focusing on, then they will take care of it. If it is just bothering you THAT much then pm a moderator. Do NOT take it upon yourself to tell other's what to do or talk to them about respecting the rules. By doing so, YOU are disrespecting the moderators in trying to take their responsibilities into your own hands.

2) If you feel the necessity to take it upon yourself, rather than ordering a person to do or not do something or acting as if you are on some mighty pedestal of power and have the right to interfere, approach it in a more friendly way by say.... gee idk.. "To answer your question blah blah blah... Also, just to let you know there are threads like this already and you can find them in the ___ category. Perhaps, you can find some more informative replies there :D ".

I guess thats all for now. Any replies/opinions/ideas/suggestions/bashes at me are more than welcome. Just thought I'd express myself and see if anyone else feels the same. If I'm overreacting, please let me know :lol:

moderators are people too. they are busy. like politicians, they will often respond to who makes the most fuss about something. mods are not aristocrats and they are somewhat accountable to the collective will of the forum because 1) they used to be regular posters themselves and 2)the forum needs members to exist. the mods are here to facilitate normalcy and also make changes when they are desired.

how many times have you seen something get stickied just because a bunch of people said "sticky this. its valuable." the mods react because people voice their opinions. when long time posters or otherwise valuable posters sound off, its worth a listen because theyve seen the good and the bad of what the forum has to offer, and they see the same mistakes being made by people who dont read the rules and dont respect the boards.

as a new influx of noobs comes into the community forum for example to learn about 1.11, people who have worked hard to share information are annoyed, for instance, by people who make threads asking for help because they are too impulsive to simply read whats already written or take the 10 seconds to find the appropriate forum. this is not bnet and 'gib itamz plz' people are not welcome in my opinion.

superdave

Mar 14, 2004
please don't ban me.
www.abbasite.com
all mods encourage the regulars to help point new guys in the right direction...with the large influx of new members you can't expect aragorn to be on 24/7....some of these threads can quickly degenerate into flames...sometimes a regular stepping in may diffuse the situation....you can be assured that most of the worst posts are reported and when a mod is able to get on he can the deal with them....so i guess you are over reacting a little...no one is trying to step on toes...sometimes there may be abit of sarcasm in some of the responses but really how many times in a week can you point new people to a STICKY without getting a little frustrated.

Aug 1, 2005
Thank you everyone for your replies and any future ones received. Aman, thank you for your honesty :p :thumbsup:

I understand that moderators have lives too and that aragorn may be busy. I may have misunderstood.. but I believe that is why there are a few different moderators.

I also agree that organization of the forums is certainly helpful but those few random threads that are out of place... who cares? I mean honestly...

Also, let me ask this... how many people of the THOUSANDS that are registered to this forum actually sat there and read the rules?? How many people when downloading a service HONESTLY read the whole "terms of service agreement" thing b4 clicking 'agree'?

Aug 1, 2005
superdave said:
sometimes there may be abit of sarcasm in some of the responses but really how many times in a week can you point new people to a STICKY without getting a little frustrated.

thus why i suggest simply passing right by that thread saving yourself and others from creating conflict.

Oh and just out of my own defense, let me point out that these remarks were not placed toward me but rather in other threads that I've stopped to notice. So really, just trying to help out those who have had people say stuff to them.

mhl12

Jul 3, 2004
USA
First of all, there's an edit button that allows you to edit your posts for 30 minutes since you posted it. Double posting on these forums is considered unnecessary bumping.

FatalAquaintance said:
Also, let me ask this... how many people of the THOUSANDS that are registered to this forum actually sat there and read the rules?? How many people when downloading a service HONESTLY read the whole "terms of service agreement" thing b4 clicking 'agree'?

I can honestly say that I didn't really read the rules closely when I registered but when I saw a whole bunch of ppl get banned, I went back and read the entire thing.

Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
FatalAquaintance said:
thus why i suggest simply passing right by that thread saving yourself and others from creating conflict.

Oh and just out of my own defense, let me point out that these remarks were not placed toward me but rather in other threads that I've stopped to notice. So really, just trying to help out those who have had people say stuff to them.

front page space is scarce. it is not out of recreation that people like me badger new posters about following the rules. meaningful posts that help everyone or that ask good questions not answered in stickies are pushed off the page by people who dont care or didnt take the time.

dont run into a calculus class and demand that someone explain multiplication tables to you unless you want everyone to call you a noob and tell you to stop wasting their time. there are stickies for that.

Aug 1, 2005
mhl12 said:
First of all, there's an edit button that allows you to edit your posts for 30 minutes since you posted it. Double posting on these forums is considered unnecessary bumping.

I can honestly say that I didn't really read the rules closely when I registered but when I saw a whole bunch of ppl get banned, I went back and read the entire thing.

Thank you for warning me about the double posting.. tho this is a perfect example of what the thread is all about, HOWEVER.. I appreciate the info and will pay more attention in the future. Usually double postings by me are done b/c

1) I want to reply to more than one person and I dont know how to put both of their quotes in one post

2) If I edit a post above someone that I want to make a reply to, well wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose b/c what are the chances they will go back and reread something they just read? I figure make another separate post below theirs.

thank you for your honesty about the whole 'rules' thing.

Turkey: noted and also, could you elaborate on this "banning"?? I assume you aren't referring to the 36k banned by bnet.. so if you could plz update me

Phyrexial

Jun 23, 2003
forums.diabloii.net
Most people don't read the rules because most of the rules are generally considered common sense. When someone arrives without common sense, they should read the rules. However, lacking common sense results in them not reading the rules. Thus, those with common sense point them to the rules.

As for the less than nice responses new posters get for misplacing a thread, that most likely stems for the people responding to the thread having been around for quite some time and the rules being "common sense" to them. It's like seeing someone driving down the wrong side of the road to some of us older members, it seems so terribly simplistic that we can't fathom how you could make that mistake. Call it arrogance or impatience if you will. I'm not defending this attitude, just saying that this is what I think may be going on.

Shadefallen

Aug 2, 2005
Denmark
I am pretty new here too.. I have read SO much here and I am trying to remember all the rules.. Still mistakes can be made and I am sure that for most parts it is not out of disrespect for the ppl here or for the moderators and sometime it is nicer to be told in a calm and respectfull way that you are wrong than being corrected in a parental way.. (Ppl have a tendensy to listen more closely too when they feel they have been helped not ordered)

I haven't been corrected but I have seen the ways some ppl are being "guided" and some of the responses have been a little harsh. I have been a moderator on other boards and the helpfull users of the boards are heaven sent, because as some of you said.. moderators can't be here all the time.

Anyway.. that is just my view on board tone

Ty too all of you doing a good job around here.. :)

Aug 1, 2005
Phyrexial said:
Most people don't read the rules because most of the rules are generally considered common sense. When someone arrives without common sense, they should read the rules. However, lacking common sense results in them not reading the rules. Thus, those with common sense point them to the rules.

As for the less than nice responses new posters get for misplacing a thread, that most likely stems for the people responding to the thread having been around for quite some time and the rules being "common sense" to them. It's like seeing someone driving down the wrong side of the road to some of us older members, it seems so terribly simplistic that we can't fathom how you could make that mistake. Call it arrogance or impatience if you will. I'm not defending this attitude, just saying that this is what I think may be going on.

Oh I totally understand and a very valid point you have presented. Thank you for your response.

Also thank you to shadefallen for your input. For someone who has been a moderator on other forums, you can understand where I am coming from then? That's how I take what you have posted. I guess the best solution is for those of you who DO know the rules and wish to help others understand, please do say it in a more frienldy constructive criticism sort of way rather than, as shadefallen supported, an 'order'. I agree with her in that people will take better to such a remark if they feel it is coming at them on an equal level rather than as shade quoted 'parental' manner.

Phyrexial

Jun 23, 2003
forums.diabloii.net
FatalAquaintance said:
Oh I totally understand and a very valid point you have presented. Thank you for your response.
I've been on these boards for around 3-4 years so I'd be lying if it didn't make me a tad elitist. ;)

Don't trust my join date either, I've been around through well over 3 incarnations of this board which required us to sign up again. I wonder how many other people remember the textured blue background around here... :lol:

Aug 1, 2005
Phyrexial said:
I've been on these boards for around 3-4 years so I'd be lying if it didn't make me a tad elitist. ;)

Don't trust my join date either, I've been around through well over 3 incarnations of this board which required us to sign up again. I wonder how many other people remember the textured blue background around here... :lol:

haha i just caught that edit ;)

RTB

Jun 21, 2003
Dimension of Numbers
Phyrexial said:
Remember when the space character was made a swear word by a hacker? Back then, censorship was [I want my mummy] hilarious. Pity I don't remember when that happened.

Don't believe my join date either. :)

Phyrexial

Jun 23, 2003
forums.diabloii.net
RTB said:
Remember when the space character was made a swear word by a hacker? Back then, censorship was [I want my mummy] hilarious. Pity I don't remember when that happened.

Don't believe my join date either. :)
[crowbar swings] was another oldy if I remember correctly. The site that I'm now an admin at was also made a censored word for awhile. :lol:

Judging by your join date, I bet Jun 03 was the last update done.

Aug 1, 2005
Phyrexial said:

btw.. are u stalking me through forums?? :scared: :lol: just kidding

Status
Not open for further replies.