• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

MicahW on the Bannination

ArcOlixter

Oct 14, 2004
Outside the Beltway
MicahW on the Bannination

This caught me by as much surprise as any one. If this is similar to the Warcraft 3 CD-Key bans it would only be the original (non-expansion) key that will be banned. I will have more information regarding temporary/permanent in a bit. Again, if it is similar to Warcraft 3 it will be temporary (30 days) for a first offense (almost everyone is going to be on their first offense) and permanent for a second offense.

This is all assuming it is similar to the Warcraft 3 ladder bans, which may not be the case.

http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=d2-general&t=1104470&p=1&tmp=1#new1104470

ArcOlixter

Oct 14, 2004
Outside the Beltway
MicahW on cd-key banning:
We will only be banning original Diablo 2 keys, not expansion keys.
Also, if your account is closed, that is final. No temp-bans on accounts.

And TerenceL in Open Technical Support adds:
For a first offense, a CD-Key is temporarily restricted from Closed Battle.net games. Repeat offenses will result in a permanent ban from Closed Battle.net games. If you receive an error message stating that the account was closed, then it was permanently closed for violating the EULA and/or Battle.net Terms of Use Agreement. It is somewhat similar to the Warcraft III ladder restrictions. Warcraft III has been seeing mass-bannings for years now.
http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=opensupport&t=370095&p=1&tmp=1#new370095

End result:

First time offenders - 30 day temp restriction on original D2 key and closure of associated account.

Others - perm ban/closure of cd-key and associated account.

doodle

Jul 7, 2004
Thanks arc, very useful info.

Not like the usual "AHAHAHAahha U GET TEH BANZ0R NOOB OMFG ROFLMAOO!!!".

Oh wait this thread wasn't complete without one of those responses.

Freezing Rain

May 25, 2005
amen raff.
3/4 of the threads on the general discussion board in diablo2 follow like this:
'blizz i think u suk cuz u banned me for using mh.. it's not really a cheat cuz it jus helpz us play btr!!!!! plzz unban me!!!!'

and today, i had a giant laugh at the title of this thread:
'Maphack is not a cheat'
(apparently so did micahw)