• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

MF Poison/Summon Nec

What shield?

• Alma Negra (can afford a perf cos theyre cheap)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Herold of Zakarum (only can afford between 150-160 ed)

• Stormshield (got 3 of these lying around)

• Other (except exile)

• Total voters

nightaswz

Jun 27, 2003
MF Poison/Summon Nec

Hey people! I just need some checking on my end-gear because, as this is my first ever poison nec, i dont have all the experience that this build dictates. The following gear will be my dream setup. Im hoping u guys can tell me if there are better options. (yes i know there is no best in d2 but at least give me something as close to it =D) Thanks!

Rushing/Killing Uber Setup
Um Shako
5/5 die Dweb
Trang shield with um
Bramble
Trang Gloves
Trang Belt
2x Sojs
Marrowwalks
Maras
- Gear will be changed accordingly when killing uber meph. Ill probably put on some sorb, wizspike, and +resists.

MF Setup
Ptopaz Shako
5/5 die Dweb
Homunculus Um
Enigma
PChancies
Arachnids
2x PNagels
Marrowwalks
Maras

Also, both guides on Poison/Summon necs seem to recommend max block. However, because im primarily using trang shield (60% block), max block seems to be overboard even though Usamah's guide suggests it. Anyone think otherwise? Vote on the poll! =)

As for merc gear, im thinking:
Guillames Face
Insight/Infinity (when i get it)
Treachery (o_O What cool stats) or Eth Fort

Tell me what u guys think about the build. All comments are appreciated!
Thanks again

Edit - This is SCL, Not HC! All chars on HC should have max block =)

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator
Jun 24, 2003
In a cave
Visit site
nightaswz said:
However, because im primarily using trang shield (60% block), max block seems to be overboard even though Usamah's guide suggests it.

Depends a bit on your playing style. Trang's is decently suited for max block so you can use it for that. With some good meatshields and some effective cursing you should be able to make it out safely without max block.

However max block will save you when things get past your meatshields. And they can get past your meathsields if they are not sturdy enough. Also Nova means you have to get reasonably close to monsters so there is a change you’ll get surrounded.

I’d say it is worth it to get max block.

nightaswz said:
As for merc gear, im thinking:
Guillames Face
Insight/Infinity (when i get it)
Treachery (o_O What cool stats) or Eth Fort

Unfortunately the Treachery won't do that much for the Merc. The IAS is nice and so it the small change for fade, but there are better armors. The Poison mods on it only work for the Merc and not you.

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
I would go pure summoner for MF unless you're putting in full points for the skeletons and just using P-Nova as an extra source of damage. Skeletons can get a lot of prebuffing from an AoKL and a shield and do just fine with a switchout devoted to MF even if that causes you to lose 2-3 skeletons. Poison gear is demanding to the point where a build focused on poison will have a much tougher time if you devote a lot of that gear to MF. I say build one of each. Poison/skelli is phenomenal for socketable searching. You can cover a good range of potential socketables by doing cow and pit runs and it excels at both. With my old poison/skellimancer I liked to start with Pindle to get my minions and a chance of a really good socketable and then move on to cow and Pits before starting over again. You can pick up a lot of Monarchs from cows and those were going for a Pul each on West Ladder.

For a decent boss killing build that can go anywhere and not be as stringent on gear, Summoners are king. My current ladder plans revolve around getting a summoner to build up gear and goodies to make a Bliz Sorc for Meph runs, and then a poisoner for socketables.

nightaswz

Jun 27, 2003
Well i chose poison/summon for a good challenge, especially since its the start of ladder. I cant really decide atm whether to max block since only 6 people voted =/
Please vote and help me place my extra 100 skill points!