• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Mercenary Question

gibsonSG

Jun 29, 2005
Somewhere in the depths of hell.
Mercenary Question

What's the best mercenary to have for a meteorb sorceress? I'm thinking either defiance or holy freeze, as you can give either mercenary a decent "runeword" weapon that would give you another great aura. I'm thinking if you just want a tank, get a defiance mercenary, as the defense bonus would be good, and the mercenary would have better stats come end-game. Remember, you can only get mercenaries that are within 5 levels of your level come 1.11. So by the time you get to nightmare and get a holy freeze mercenary, he'll be level 40 or 50 something and suffer from the stat penalties of "hiring" him at a higher level, right?

Thanks

Godz Deathz

Banned
Jul 25, 2005
usa
personally im getting a defiance, cause i figure orb slows anyway, and lower lvl=better, and only roughly 1/4-1/3 of monsters are cold immune, and its not the scary ones anyway

the exception being countess runs. if you plan on doing mostly countess, i would get a freezer

gibsonSG

Jun 29, 2005
Somewhere in the depths of hell.
Godz Deathz said:
personally im getting a defiance, cause i figure orb slows anyway, and lower lvl=better, and only roughly 1/4-1/3 of monsters are cold immune, and its not the scary ones anyway

the exception being countess runs. if you plan on doing mostly countess, i would get a freezer

Hahaha, no countess runs here--METEORB sorceresses don't really have much luck killing the countess...defiance it is.

mattguy

Nov 20, 2004
UK
gibsonSG said:
Hahaha, no countess runs here--METEORB sorceresses don't really have much luck killing the countess...defiance it is.

I have to disagree with you on that one. Meteororb can kill countess just fine because regardless of any sorceress build, I will invest one point in Static Field. Reduce the countess's life to 50% and let your mercenary handle the rest. My meteororb with Holy Freeze Merc can clear countess easily (remember Holy Freeze can chill cold-immune monsters even). After all, countess is in Act1. So no problem there.

AnimeCraze

Jul 13, 2005
Vancouver
I just use Prayer, since added with Insight, I get about 50 hp every second or so. If you have to choose between the two, HF is better. And yes, meterob can do countress, since you can kill minions and let merc kill countress easily. If your merc can't even kill that one single weak unique, there is a problem.

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator
Nov 13, 2003
Diablo III Hardcore
gibsonSG said:

Just like the others said. ANY sorceress build can kill the Countess. Static and then use Telekinesis to smash her against the wall, not beiing able to land any attacks, while your Merc (whichever) takes her apart.

There is a Merc guide in the Sorceress Guide Library. This should answer all question.

zxc_cxz

Dec 18, 2004
Ontario Canada
www.myspace.com
AnimeCraze said:
I just use Prayer, since added with Insight, I get about 50 hp every second or so. If you have to choose between the two, HF is better. And yes, meterob can do countress, since you can kill minions and let merc kill countress easily. If your merc can't even kill that one single weak unique, there is a problem.
Quick question - what merc gives prayer? Or are you getting that spell from somewhere else?

Godz Deathz

Banned
Jul 25, 2005
usa
i was just doing some countess (hell) runs with my merc, and i got a hf cause im not in act 2 hell yet, and countess is quite doable with my metoerb (weak 1400 fb)

i found, like melianor said, to kill minions with fb, then static and telekenisis her so she cant attack, and holy freeze helps quite a bit

so i am contradicting myself, yes, but i found its very effective