• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Lower resist charges on a staff

sae1969

Sep 14, 2004
Lower resist charges on a staff

Just when I think I have seen everything in SP games, I run into something new :rolleyes: I just recently was running aroung grail hunting. I found a staff that has lower resist charges. Here is is:

Rune Call
Gothic Staff
Two-Hand Damage: 14 to 34
Durability: 37 of 40
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 72
Staff Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 82
Fingerprint: 0xaaba205b
Cold Resist +27%
Adds 1-6 lightning damage
Adds 15-43 cold damage over 7 seconds
+1 to Fire Wall (Sorceress Only)
+1 to Blaze (Sorceress Only)
150% Damage to Undead
Level 1 Lower Resist (22/22 Charges

A few days later, I found another:

Spirit Spire
Stalagmite
Two-Hand Damage: 75 to 107
Durability: 30 of 30
Required Dexterity: 35
Required Strength: 63
Required Level: 72
Staff Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: **
Fingerprint: 0xcfda3b76
Adds 19-68 fire damage
8% Life stolen per hit
Hit Causes Monster to Flee 25%
150% Damage to Undead
Level 1 Lower Resist (20/22 Charges

These are the 1st two items I have seen that has a LR charges for anyone to use. Are they useful for a sorceress? I use a sorceress when MFing. I experimented by using the LR charges on Hell Baal. It didn't seem to make much difference. Should they make a difference? What items (such as amulets) can spawn lower resists charges?

Anyway, I just was curious as to whether these staffs would be useful for a sorceress or other non-necromancer characters...

Shawn

BTW. I THINK these staffs were both found in 1.11

essojay

Jun 26, 2004
NH
They're useful for breaking immunities, although sometimes even LR can't break them.

Thirty-Thirty

Dec 16, 2004
Germany
I've had three in 1.10 so far. Amazingly useful for Sorcs, if you want to do /players 8 XP runs. Get yourself big +skills on your kit, and put the appropriate Wand of Lower Resistance on switch, and you can kill notably more quickly.
I experimented by using the LR charges on Hell Baal. It didn't seem to make much difference. Should they make a difference?
It depends on the monster's base resistances, and your other gear. I use my wand to kill Meph with Meteor/Fireball a lot faster. That's because his base fire resist is 75%, IIRC. If you're using Frozen Orb on a monster that isn't immune, then its resistance is already down to -50%ish, so another 30% isn't noticable.

necrolemming said:
They do help with breaking immunities, as esso said. However, slvl 1 charges probably won't break any.
The annoying factor is that 1/5 efficacy on immunes. Even if the immunity is broken, the resistance is still very high. And I'm not sure if Cold Mastery then affects the monster that was immune before Lower Resist...

sirpoopsalot

May 24, 2005
dranking tequila
Thirty-Thirty said:
Will it be at 1/5 effectiveness or full power?

staying on topic... if the resistence has already been broken with LR it will be at full power. Now for the hijack...

I also found teleport charges on a rare staff. I thought that was a Naj's Puzzler only type of thing, but I guess it's a mod for rares too. Very cool if you want to use nice amulets and headgear and keep the TP on switch.