• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Lost CD Code

CubsAce38

Member
Dec 27, 2004
166
0
86
USA
Lost CD Code

Ok, so I am going to reinstall my version of Diablo II on my computer. I found all my discs and everything... but I seem to have lost my expansion case so I don't have my CD key. Is there any other way to find out my CD key?
 

Nyris

Member
Jul 26, 2005
11
0
1
over there :points:
CubsAce38 said:
Ok, so I am going to reinstall my version of Diablo II on my computer. I found all my discs and everything... but I seem to have lost my expansion case so I don't have my CD key. Is there any other way to find out my CD key?

same here i bought mine (blizz battle chest d2 and exp) from a friend who moved away. he didnt have the cd case with exp cd key on it so im stuk with classic :(
 

mhl12

Member
Jul 3, 2004
3,970
6
466
USA
there is no way. Your only choice is to go out and buy a new game. Sorry.

The "illegal" way would be getting a cd key generator but a lot of those are filled with viruses and most of the codes generated are already in use.
 

lonnie913

Member
Sep 25, 2003
528
0
105
Visit site
well.... i have heard that there *is* a way to find your cd key. it requires some 3rd party programs though and those are not endorsed here. your situation pretty much sucks though and there should be a way to *officially* get your key back. im pretty sure though that your cd key has to be stored *somewhere* in some kind of file, after all how do they track cd keys for banning if your computer doesnt send the information upon logging in?? it has to be somewhere....
 

Orphan

Member
May 23, 2004
7,198
1
165
lonnie, I believe it is in a file in the installation directory. I think I remember Jarulf finding it ages ago (at least, I think it was him..?). I know I made note of it at home, but you wouldn't be able to find it unless you a third party program (which, although probably can't be linked to here, the program itself isn't illegal as far as I know).
 

Dawnmaster

Member
Apr 23, 2004
5,209
30
469
40
Belgium
Why the heck do people keep losing their cd-keys? :scratch:

I mean, it'd be the same as buying a car or a house and losing those keys :lol:
 

TheJarulf

Banned
Jan 4, 2005
260
0
0
Dawnmaster said:
Why the heck do people keep losing their cd-keys? :scratch:

I mean, it'd be the same as buying a car or a house and losing those keys :lol:


People lose their keys all the time as well. Usually one have extra keys though, and alternatively also change the lock when it happens. In addition, getting a new game (as old as D2) cost harldy nothing, while they keys for your house or car is quite more valuable, yet still are lost!


mhl12 said:
there is no way. Your only choice is to go out and buy a new game. Sorry.

True only if the game is not installed allready.


mhl12 said:
The "illegal" way would be getting a cd key generator but a lot of those are filled with viruses and most of the codes generated are already in use.

For just installing the game, any valid (by the install program) key is OK, no matter how much it is in use. For bent play though, you can't log in whit a key allready in use. Note that key generators typically only generate keys that allow installation, I don't think they work for bnet connection (although I can be wrong). The reason would be that the check by the install program is a much simpler than the one performed on the server side of Blizzard when you connect to bnet. It is possible to brute force (or if badly implemented, reverse engineer) the check of the install program and hence come up with keys that work for installing. However, that should be virtually impossible for the bnet check.

As for the illegalness, that would depend on what country you live in. In most it is probably legal.


lonnie913 said:
well.... i have heard that there *is* a way to find your cd key. it requires some 3rd party programs though and those are not endorsed here. your situation pretty much sucks though and there should be a way to *officially* get your key back. im pretty sure though that your cd key has to be stored *somewhere* in some kind of file, after all how do they track cd keys for banning if your computer doesnt send the information upon logging in?? it has to be somewhere....


This only works if the game is allready installed. Then one can check what key it was installed with since it is saved by the installer (so that it can be sent to bnet when one connect). If the game is not installed, one can't figure out what cdkey one got with the game since it is not stored anywere on the install CDs, it only exists on the sticker on the cd-case.


The game should be findable for a very cheap price these days I would say though.
 

KTang

<font color="#93ad4f">Official Diablo 3 Item Value
Jan 18, 2004
3,473
0
255
32
??
I lost my d2 instructions manual (reading it somewhere and when I finally needed it I lost it) so a kind friend lent me his cd-key. Just find one of your friends who doesn't really play anymore :) You can get a new copy of D2 for very cheap, in UK, probably under £5.

KT
 

Myrakh-2

Member
Jun 23, 2004
2,952
0
165
flyff.cable.nu
mhl12 said:
The "illegal" way would be getting a cd key generator

Whether it's illegal or not if you have a valid version would still be open for debate (certainly outside the US, where the DMCA probably restricts just about anything you can do with your software), but it doesn't really matter: Blizzard has never published their key checking for bnet, so keygens cannot create valid keys.

It would only work for singleplayer.
 

Gorny

Banned
Sep 9, 2003
27,816
8
0
Iv'e heard of this wonderful new invention called pencil and paper.

Write down the Cd key and keep it in a safe place, or in my case use a printer/scanner and make a copy of the cd key.
 

TheJarulf

Banned
Jan 4, 2005
260
0
0
aragorn_elessar said:
Iv'e heard of this wonderful new invention called pencil and paper.

Write down the Cd key and keep it in a safe place, or in my case use a printer/scanner and make a copy of the cd key.


What about keeping the original CD-key in that safe place :)

Personally I tend to throw away most boxes, cd-cases and such I get with games and other programs and store just the CDs. If there is CD-keys or registration numbers and such, I either cut it out and store it with the CD, alternative copy it (typically print it with a computer since my hand writing is hard to deschiper, even by myself) and store that. Have thought of simply making some text file were I write all my keys and print it when I get a few new ones.
 

mhl12

Member
Jul 3, 2004
3,970
6
466
USA
Myrakh-2 said:
Whether it's illegal or not if you have a valid version would still be open for debate (certainly outside the US, where the DMCA probably restricts just about anything you can do with your software), but it doesn't really matter: Blizzard has never published their key checking for bnet, so keygens cannot create valid keys.

It would only work for singleplayer.

notice i put quotation marks around illegal. I know that it doesn't really mean going against any law or anything. I meant it as a wrong way of getting a cd code as I explained before why in my previous post.
 

DrunkCajun

Banned
Jun 28, 2004
5,249
0
0
41
Evergreen, Colorado
aragorn_elessar said:
Iv'e heard of this wonderful new invention called pencil and paper.

Write down the Cd key and keep it in a safe place, or in my case use a printer/scanner and make a copy of the cd key.

I burn a copy of my play disc (I tend to scratch the hell out of my CDs, so make backups) and on the label of that backup, I write, in big fat handwriting with a Sharpie marker, the CD Key. Haven't lost one yet. :thumbsup:
 

EckoKc

Member
Jul 28, 2005
102
0
33
44
toledo,ohio
DrunkCajun said:
I burn a copy of my play disc (I tend to scratch the hell out of my CDs, so make backups) and on the label of that backup, I write, in big fat handwriting with a Sharpie marker, the CD Key. Haven't lost one yet. :thumbsup:


i also scratch my disks alot. how is burning game disks done? ive tired to burn it but i get a message something to the effect of "disk is write protected"

wow way ot my fault mod. :confused:
 

mhl12

Member
Jul 3, 2004
3,970
6
466
USA
just manually burn it by dragging all the files on the play disc onto an empty disc. Windows should take it from there.
 

cboyz22

Member
Jul 1, 2004
2
0
1
I lost my CD-Key before and found, somewhere on blizzard.com, a way to get it back. You have to write a letter about how u lost your CD-key and send your game manual. They will send you a new CD-key within 6 weeks. I'll try to find the link for you. Use the following link. http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=adt0636p