• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Looking for Spearazon input..

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
Looking for Spearazon input..

Looking to possible build a Spearazon, looking for some input on skills/stats - not really any eq as this will be untwinked...and how she holds up in the game, does she get boring, and what's the Fend bug?

-Thanks

sirpoopsalot

May 24, 2005
dranking tequila
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the fend bug is... if you're fending and you miss on the first attack, all other attacks in that set miss too... Definitely not a good thing when you're getting swarmed.

I'm not sure what skills/stats to tell you; I've yet to try any 'zon.

Lucky_Seven

Aug 5, 2003
Portugal
If you are in 1.11 you can use the new Zon Armour and forget Native Valk.

That way you wont suffer with Fend Bug and can use the extra points to Passives and another type of damage cold/Lightning.

*edit - The problem is when one of the evasion skill activates the fend interrupts and miss all Fend cycle.(I think is something like this I never tried by myself).

Underdawg

Jul 4, 2005
W
Yes the above aforementioned is correct. As also with strafe, if one of the evasion skills activate (dodge, avoid, evade) while you fend you will miss the rest of the fend cycle though. For Stat Point Placement I'd suggest going the melee way.

Strength: Enough to Equip Gear
Dexterity: Enough to Equip Gear
Vitality: All the Rest Here: The Amazon Gets 3 Life Points Per Point! That's second only to the Barbarian who is at 4 points!
Energy: Bleh You Know! :uhhuh:

This is all I could suggest. Oh yeah, get a big poky stick of hurtiness :cool:

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
Underdawg said:
Energy: Bleh You Know! :uhhuh:

This is all I could suggest. Oh yeah, get a big poky stick of hurtiness :cool:

Heh, nods. I'm going untwinked but I think I'll hook her up with an Artic Needle at 81:).

I think I'll just skip Fend all together then-Yet skill go with Valk, the chance to cast is only what..2%? And level 15, when her uber level is 17, plus the convenance of simply recasting her whenever I need to.

My plan is to have a strong Valk, with 50% in each D/A/E and Crit Strike. Some in Penetrate if I need it(Which I probably will), and the rest into the Lighting Skills.

I've always wanted to try this build-Just an Amazon fight just along side her Valk-No Merc needed, maybe-we'll see how it goes. I'm just worried about PI's, maybe I'll just use Jab..?

Underdawg

Jul 4, 2005
W
I would suggest finding or muling :D a Lycander's Flank (NOT the Bow; Yes the spear that nobody uses, yes that is right). NM Meph is a good choice when you get around that level. I still suggest going fend. It's jsut that I do not like one hit a time things ya know.... :thumbsup:

Llathias

Banned
Mar 12, 2005
Turkey
I've always wondered how the ctc Valkyre removes the fend bug :scratch:

Either way, you should not rely on the armor since it's buggy--the Valk disappears for no reason (or when you go to town). Besides, there are better armors out there.

I definitely suggest you use a merc; for the aura if nothing else.

Jab wouldn't work on Physical Immunes. If you meant Lightning Immune, then yeah, Jab is the commonly used skill. For Physical Immunes (assuming your main attack is physical), I'd suggest Charged Strike.

good luck!

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
Llathias said:
I've always wondered how the ctc Valkyre removes the fend bug :scratch:

Either way, you should not rely on the armor since it's buggy--the Valk disappears for no reason (or when you go to town). Besides, there are better armors out there.

I definitely suggest you use a merc; for the aura if nothing else.

Jab wouldn't work on Physical Immunes. If you meant Lightning Immune, then yeah, Jab is the commonly used skill. For Physical Immunes (assuming your main attack is physical), I'd suggest Charged Strike.

good luck!

Heh, yeah I ment Lightning Immunes-Jab looks good then, I'm sure one point in it will be fine(?) My main damage output will be Power Strike, then Jab for LI: as said.

I don't know about Lycander's Flank either. My Arioc's Needle spawned with 4* to all skills-So it's the same there(Maybe it's even a little better because it's to ALL skills, and Lycander's just gives 2 to Jav + Spear skills(On top of the two Amazon skills). Arioc's is also faster, and does the same damage(Aveage)....So what we're left with is..

50% Deadly Strike + +394 Poison Damage Over 10 Seconds + Ignore Target's Defense(Plus don't forget the greater speed as said above)

VS

5-9% Life Stolen Per Hit + +20 To Strength + +20 To Vitality

But I don't know...let me know...

(EDIT: Lycander's Flank is wearable 40(!) levels below Arioc's Needle, but I have Arioc's Needle, and I'd have to search for Lycander's Flank..(This is my only character)

essojay

Jun 26, 2004
NH
Wear Lycanders first and then switch to Arioc's at 81.

If you can get hold of a "Stoneraven," use it.

Day

Jun 16, 2004
Hi I have a Spear Amazon which I'm playing at the moment. Am at around level 60 just heading for Meph in NM.

Strangely the hardest part so far was mid act 1 when the monsters seem to hit relatively hard and my attention wasn't focused. I expect it to be a tough build in hell. No deaths yet! Playing players 8.

I'm using the lightning skills - which is doesn't make much sense in that I'd be better off using a javelin (getting a ranged option and a nice shield with blocking) - but I wanted to use a spear (and Fend's pretty bugged):uhhuh: I have a might Merc and with the Valk I think the three spears look stylish.

Skill wise I have a single point in the pre-reqs for Valk, enough to cast Valk at level 17 (with plus skills) and a single point in critical strike and penetrate (I'm going to let plus skills take dodge,evade, etc to a reaonable level- currently 38/40ish I think).

Otherwise its 1 in jab (I have this permantely on left mouse) and max charge strike and lightning strike and I am now filling the synergies.

I thought I'd be using LS all the time - its very good if there are lots of mobs but find myself using CS 90+% - as its very good for medium size packs and smaller. Bolts of CS which miss carry through and can hit the rest of a pack so it does hit crowds.

As far as I can tell the lightning skills don't roll to hit??? So you don't need massive ar? Jab attacks ofton so ar is less important (so I think anyway).

I'm twinking happily (as Hell is going, I think, to be hard).

Untwinked its going to be harder maybe look to make Strength in an Amazon spear with (hopefully plus 3 spear/javelin skills) the CB and jab should sort out the lightning immunes. My merc is using a Strength lance at the moment.

I think its worth checking the FHR breakpoints and trying to hit the appropriate one - as you will get mobbed a bit!

Bit of a ramble but in summary - the lightning skills are very good, jab and Cb for lightning immunes - three spears are better than 2! And good luck.

Day.

Day

Jun 16, 2004
Saw there were some posts whilst I was typing mine.

I'm using Lycanders - available from level 42 (so that's good). I have a Lionheart Dusk shroud, the belt with plus to Lightning Skills and with all my requirements met (and without abusing the strenght bug) have over 250 vitality. I'm going to add in a Shako (with an Ith) at level 62 for even more hits.

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
Day said:
...maybe look to make Strength in an Amazon spear with (hopefully plus 3 spear/javelin skills) the CB and jab should sort out the lightning immunes. My merc is using a Strength lance at the moment.

I think its worth checking the FHR breakpoints and trying to hit the appropriate one - as you will get mobbed a bit!

Day.

Sounds good, I'm going to head for Strength as soon as possible, probably Act 5ish I believe.

What % do you think FHR is good to get at(?), I'm still only in Act One but I found this sweet GC with 12% FHR and 12/16ish Cold Resist :).

And AR not important? So I'm guessing you mean that when you use Charged Strike/Power Strike, and DON"T hit the lightning still goes off? That would be very nice, but I'd need to hit some of the time for some leech-here and there.

Note: How did you get a hold of a good spear in earily game, if you twinked well then..oh well, but if you have a great way of getting a hold on some good power at those earily levels-let me know :).

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
Blascid said:
Note: How did you get a hold of a good spear in earily game, if you twinked well then..oh well, but if you have a great way of getting a hold on some good power at those earily levels-let me know :).

How do you get a hold...

Day

Jun 16, 2004
Hers the amazon FHR table taken from the compendium

Character Weapon Hit Recovery Frames

17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2
Amazon All 0 6 13 20 32 52 86 174 600

I'm using 52 i.e. 5 frame.

I think a good way to get a decent spear early on is to save your cash/play through at players 8 until you see pikes in the gambling window (note you need to be of sufficent level and they do not always appear) and then gamble one. Its fairly easy to gamble a nice rare, alternatively just imbue one. In the meantime keep a look out for a nice two socket spear to socket for strength.

For act 1 I just used a purchased spear with three sockets - put a skull in it and a couple of chipped gems - it was fine.

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
Day said:
For act 1 I just used a purchased spear with three sockets - put a skull in it and a couple of chipped gems - it was fine.

Thanks, yeah, I'm still useing my 2 socketed Spear with 2 Chipped Topazes in it, and I'm doing just fine, since most of my damage is lightning I need not to be concerned with actual pysical damage, and a Pike, attack speed "Slow" doesn't that just bother you?