• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Looking for a Strafer Guide.

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
Looking for a Strafer Guide.

Currently looking for a Strafe Guide, couldn't really find one anywhere. Or just ideas, where to place stat/skill points..etc...

Humphrey

Jul 5, 2005
Nottingham, UK
There's this guide too:
http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240912

Also just saw this:
Dacar92 said:
I have placed 17 to 20 in valk, maxed strafe, and then maxed frozen arrow. I have then placed 10 or a few more in cold arrow for the synergy. I think this makes a good bowazon in hell. Not the quickest killer, but fun and challenging.

Doesn't matter if you don't have the equip they suggest, just see what the guides have in common and put points in those skills. That's what I'm doing with my strafer.

Aug 1, 2004
Portugal
Blascid said:
Gah..The only Strafe guide is for the "Pits" ladder, who uses a Windforce, with Magic Find. Not very helpful as I'm playing untwinked, will never find a Windforce or most of the items he's talking about, and just looking to play throughout the game.

There is a WWS guide there.
More specifically, here http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240912
Hope it helps.

EDIT: And in the windforce guide there is a lot of alternative equipment, including alternative bows.

TheWormishOne

May 10, 2005
Oslo, Norway
Blascid said:
Gah..The only Strafe guide is for the "Pits" ladder, who uses a Windforce, with Magic Find. Not very helpful as I'm playing untwinked, will never find a Windforce or most of the items he's talking about, and just looking to play throughout the game.

Well, in fact there is also a strafe guide focused around the Witchwild String. :p
Even if you do not have all the fancy equipment discussed in the pit guide, the stat and skill suggestions are still valid, though if you insist on going untwinked you'll have to be prepared to improvise now and again.

Edit: 0wnz0rz3d x2!

DudSpud

Aug 27, 2004
Blascid said:
Try looking at ChipMC's WWS guide (Witchwild String). Great guide, good bow.

If you are going untwinked, then a strafer is a tough option because bowies are bow dependent. WWS, Lycander's Aim, Buriza, Eaglehorn, Riphook - and probably some I have forgotten - are talked about as being possible endgame bows for bowies, and the exceptionals can be upped. Skystrike, Kuko, 4-6os bows are nice leveling bows.

As for other items, try crafting some gloves (see stickied guide in Ama forum - or is it here? - by superdave I believe, and very nice) - the idea is to get knockback, +passives (or Javs-see below), dex, and a leech. Alternatively, try to get kb/slow/monster flee/freeze target/ on other equipment. A bowie is better at dispersed targets anyhow. Have Charsi imbue some javelins (see below) or craft them (safety craft). Always keep an eye out for socketable items - a 5os Ama bow can make a nice bow, and Melody and Harmony are very nice. Oh, and sell everything that drops and gamble rings, amulets, and circlets with the proceeds.

As for skills, I suggest going as a strafe/LF hybrid. This is a nice, relatively cheap way to go and I think it is Hell viable. 16 or 20 in strafe (keep in multiples of four with +skills), 1 in each of the other bow skills, 23 points in the Jav skills for max LF (here is where the imbues are best used I think, I got some sweet +Damage/IAS/replenish quantity ceremonial javs for my NM imbue on my first ama). 1 in each passive, except a lvl 17 valk (when cast - keep +passive items in stash - you can easily shop +3 passive gloves, eg), penetrate to ensure 90% chance to hit (PS - NONE of the + AR bonuses associated with bow skills actually increase the AR of missle attacks), CS near 50% or so, pierce over 50%. Put the leftovers in penetrate/decoy (great against elemental ranged attacks)/CS.

Just some ideas - good luck and if you come across an idea that works well then please share, because I can use the help.

DudSpud

Edit - D'oh - pwned on the WWS guide. Still, here is superdave's nice glove crafting guide:
http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348851

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
TheWormishOne said:
Edit: 0wnz0rz3d x2!

Haha

Awesome, got some good information from you guys, thanks a bunch. I'm going to give her -One Ravenfrost- just something for her to look foward too.

I'm going to get started now, hopefully able to get to Act Three by the end of the night(Three hours).

Here I go.

EDIT: Any ideas for PI's? I was thinking maybe..20 in Fire Arrow, or is that-like-a horrible choice?

DudSpud

Aug 27, 2004
Blascid said:
EDIT: Any ideas for PI's? I was thinking maybe..20 in Fire Arrow, or is that-like-a horrible choice?

Actually, there seem to me to be more FI than any other. You could go 20 MA (or better find WWS) to bypass many immunes. The problem here is that you only get half as much damage converted as with FA. Or, maybe even better, put 20 into Cold Arrow. This gives the same damage conversion as FA, and is a synergy for freezing arrow. You could even go with 20 FrzArrow (as you seemed to have dissed my idea of LF), and with the RF you'll twink in and the lucky stumbling across cold charms, you could get the freeze length in hell to respectable levels. Maybe.

DudSpud

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
DudSpud said:
(as you seemed to have dissed my idea of LF)

DudSpud

Heh, not exactly, it's a wonderful idea.

Just..my first character in Diablo 2 five or so years ago, when I was playing the game before it came out, was a Bowazon, because I LOVED the Diablo 1 Rouge. And this will perhaps be my last Diablo 2 Character, I'm just looking to go full circle.

I suppose..

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
Too late to Edit..

Is Magic Arrow a good Skill vs PI's? Or maybe Cold Arrow or even Ice Arrow better for PI's.

DudSpud

Aug 27, 2004
Bowies vs PI's...

Well, the way I see it, and no, I haven't completely investigated all of the possibilities, it's like this: both CA and FA convert 41% vs 20% for MA of physical damage to elemental damage. Since we, or at least I, build strafers to deal physical damage, FA and CA are likely to deal more damage than IA, which only adds 220-ish damage at level 20. CA also has 27 sec chill vs 6 sec freeze (~7 sec vs 1 sec in Hell, and forgot FA 'cause it doesn't slow) - so with lower number of enemies the IA might be better from a safety standpoint. However, given the synergy bonus CA adds to FrzA, if I was contemplating CA vs IA I would go with CA to boost FA (where extra points would go), especially if bow only (no LF). However, if I was going hardcore and lower p/#, IA sounds like a nice alternative for PI's because of the safety afforded by freeze.

However, because I twink, WWS gives free MA and has the chance to cast Amp, which can remove PI, and the chance to cast amp is up because of the number of strafe arrow strikes (assuming high penetrate/AR gear), so this is my PI alternative. Actually, it's my PI/LI alternative, because I typically go LF hybrid.

But if I were pure bow, and untwinked so not uber physical damage to convert, your suggestion of IA is starting to sound better and better. I suspect that both, er all four, options are viable, and would boil down to playing style.

Does this suffice as a wishy-washy enough answer? And what was my answer again?

Whatever you do, please post how satisfied you were with the selection.

DudSpud

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
DudSpud said:
Does this suffice as a wishy-washy enough answer? And what was my answer again?

Whatever you do, please post how satisfied you were with the selection.

DudSpud

Heh, yeah. Very nicely answered! A+ Ha. I think I'm going to go with Ice Arrow, like you said, less twink-less damage, so the overall 650ish damage it gives sounds pretty nice.

I'm thinking maybe, I might twink her one item per difficulty :-D, Raven for Normal-Gore Ridders for Nightmare-And Dracul's for Hell. I don't know yet depends upon how it all works out.

I'll totally let you know how it all works out, I sort of have a mini-theme going on too, so it makes a little more mentally fun.

Thanks for all your help!

EDIT: Only made it to the Darkwood tonight, but I got Valana, my Rouge up and going, almost level 12 too, so I'm off to a good start.

DudSpud

Aug 27, 2004
Blascid said:
I'm thinking maybe, I might twink her one item per difficulty :-D, Raven for Normal-Gore Ridders for Nightmare-And Dracul's for Hell. I don't know yet depends upon how it all works out.

If you are going to twink boots, might I suggest War Travelers? The DS/OW/CB is certainly nice, but they are all relatively low % (OK, with strafe its effectively higher), CS means you get less advantage from DS, CB is halved when delivered at range, and OW is level dependent. The +15-25 damage from WT is added to the base damge and so is multiplied by dex (+10 str from WT means +10 dex and so +10% off weapon ED) and other off weapon %ED (like +350%ED to demons from LoH...), the 30% MF could really help un- or partially twinked, and the speed boost is about the same.

Just a thought,
DudSpud

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
DudSpud said:
If you are going to twink boots, might I suggest War Travelers? The DS/OW/CB is certainly nice, but they are all relatively low % (OK, with strafe its effectively higher), CS means you get less advantage from DS, CB is halved when delivered at range, and OW is level dependent. The +15-25 damage from WT is added to the base damge and so is multiplied by dex (+10 str from WT means +10 dex and so +10% off weapon ED) and other off weapon %ED (like +350%ED to demons from LoH...), the 30% MF could really help un- or partially twinked, and the speed boost is about the same.

Just a thought,
DudSpud

You're very persuasive..sounds like a good idea. Also I'm going with all-dex, no-vit. If I'm half as slick as I think I am I shouldn't being getting hit at all-or much.

skoolbus

Dec 31, 2004
The Moon
I've never put any points into the cold arrow skills, but I did make a firezon once so you can learn from me. Let me tell you that you won't kill anything in hell with it, and that's with all the synergies maxed.

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
skoolbus said:
I've never put any points into the cold arrow skills, but I did make a firezon once so you can learn from me. Let me tell you that you won't kill anything in hell with it, and that's with all the synergies maxed.

skoolbus!

Nods on Fire Arrow, I'm made two builds-praying Fire Arrow would take me to the end, no such luck. I'm letting my Rouge take Fire Arrow this time around.

I'm going for Ice Arrow this time, I've never used it really before-and I'll be getting 650ish damage with it. Doesn't sound too bad..

Death_StrikeR

Jun 23, 2003
Philippines
I dont really had a bad experience to strafers/bowazons in terms of finding the weapon...

It was really a surprise for me to find a WWS in my untwinked HC and SC amazon... both found in NM... one from river of flame and other from radament...

I managed to finish my SC witchyzon without upping it... so, its really viable once you get your hands on that weapon... just socket 2 shaels in it...
but my HC char were still in ACT1, but turned out to use LF for faster XP'ing and more safety... so, actually a hybrid in nature.

But in my experience, (in terms of PI's), you may somehow depend on immolition arrow at Normal/NM... but still OK in hell... in killing PI's as well as bosses...
But in the endgame... it became rarely use... and found yourself sorry for putting 15+ points in it... and just using for the sake of "not wasting the spent skill points"

FA is also nice, but its mana intensive. You may find yourself drinking a lot of blues.... (its fine, since mana pots can be bought)

But there is a tactic Im using to maximize the potential of a bottle of mana potion (depends on the capacity of you mana orb and the size of mana pot)... spamming FA while drinking the mana pot. So... you're rushing to use the mana that where actually still filling up the orb.
So to say, you are consuming the mana more than your orb can carry.

I also bother to put 5 or 10 points in MS... I just loved spamming arrows :D
Using it for distributing slow target.
So... clegraws pincers and riphook is a nice combo for this....

cheers!

/davedexterz

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
Death_StrikeR said:
So... clegraws pincers and riphook is a nice combo for this....

cheers!

/davedexterz

Nods, I'm sure I'll be able to find Clegraw's, I'm not going to too set on a bow though, since I don't know what I'll be able to find.

Death_StrikeR

Jun 23, 2003
Philippines
oh... I forgot...

Zephyr(ort-eth) is the best bow for untwinked bowazons till earlier part of NM.
The best in a way that you can surely get a hand of a 2osbow and ort, eth.

Hunters Bow is good, double bow is also good... and other exceptional ones...
but if you managed to find 2s ceremonial bows... then use it... mainly for its +bow skills...

And use Lore and Stealth... that would speed you up. And rhyme, too.

Since, I depend alot in poormans runewords in my characters....
I even finished hell still using a stealth armor :D

EDIT: And also don't forget to cubed for BLOOD or HITPOWER gloves... if the recipe became available... looked for 20ias, +2bowskills, dual leech and resists... or else... you'll end up depending on rares...