• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Looking for a Playable Character that's not the tipical Point & Shoot/Click & Attack

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
Looking for a Playable Character that's not the tipical Point & Shoot/Click & Attack

I'm looking for my first Character to complete the entire game but really can't think of any, curently playing a Pure Bone Nerco, that's starting to get tedious.

Looking for a Playable character that's interesting, yet not impossible..

-Thanks

(No twinking will be done)

Noodle

Jul 18, 2003
Noodle Compound
Have you played a martial arts / trapper hybrid? Very active, lotsa' strategy, extremely effective if played right, and great fun. I recommend it highly.

- Noodle

essojay

Jun 26, 2004
NH
The hands of a elemental fire druid are busy keeping up summons, cyclone armor and armageddon as well as using various fire skills such as Volcano and Molten Boulder depending on the situation. :thumbsup:

Mar 9, 2005
Montana
hammerdin, cause you are constantly trying to get in the right position to throw hammers, but they are pretty powerful without good gear.

crazy_bear

Jul 30, 2003
Winnipeg, Canada
essojay said:
The hands of a elemental fire druid are busy keeping up summons, cyclone armor and armageddon as well as using various fire skills such as Volcano and Molten Boulder depending on the situation. :thumbsup:

My vote goes here. Armageddon/Shockwave werebear is not your typical build, but is very viable, even untwinked.

Main Skills:
Volcano, molten boulder, Armageddon 20 each
Summon Grizzly (1 pt wonder with 3 pts dire wolf synergy/use to lvl 30)
Shockwave 10-15
Werebear
Lycanthropy

He will have lots of life and good balance of attacks, with fire obviously being the strongest, but decent physical from Volcano.

BIGeyedBUG

Oct 16, 2003
frisco
Visit site
FodderCannoned said:
hammerdin, cause you are constantly trying to get in the right position to throw hammers, but they are pretty powerful without good gear.

Hehe, when he said he wanted a character that wasn't "point & click", I don't think that meant he just wanted a "click" character. :p

Phoenix 'sins are great if you're looking for a more mental Diablo experience.

omgitsmeta

Aug 2, 2005
Brazil
I'll suggest Druids(any build that uses mixed summons) and PS Assassins. These classes are extremely fun to play and are my favorite D2 classes.

I play hybrid Druids looking for a bit of balance between my character, my Spirit of choice, my merc and my summons. The main character trees -Werewolf, Werebear, Fire and Wind - are all distinct from each other and have very different roles in battle.

The Assassin is awesome because you'll end up using several one-point wonder skills such as Mind Blast, Burst of Speed, Cloak of Shadows and Fade, each being unique and invaluable in battle. And Phoenix Strike is powerful but requires a bit of control if you want to release the proper charge. :thumbsup:

Shagsbeard

Jul 12, 2004
Central California Coast
It's kind of equipment intensive, but have you tried a Tesladin? I could make it through act I Hell without even clicking a monster once.... well... maybe the bosses. Once you get into the higher acts in hell you have to play a bit more actively, and you'll have difficulty with the lightning immunes, but it's a very viable build and very different to play.

GooberGrape

Jan 24, 2004
I'm going to vote an extra "No" for Hammerdin, I just won't go there.

Add an extra "Yes" for TS/DS assassin, you'll have to remap your keyboard to keep up with that build. Definitely powerful, but fragile and requires a bit of manual dexterity.

Also, this is still technically "point and click" but I always found it thrilling to play a titan build, especially the no-vit-all-dex-strafezon. You'll have to buy better antiperspirant to play that one!

-GG

Brother Laz

Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
My vote also goes to MA, especially phoenix strike. The physical skills and the elemental pre-reqs are tedious instead of fun, except claws of thunder before they added the nova to the third charge as well. Wow great, now you need three charges every time. :mad:

Charged bolt sentry is a fun skill to use, provided you don't just use mind blast on everything. Regular charged bolt plus anything is equally interesting, especially if you leave your vit at base level and don't use a merc. ;) To continue the trend, charge is also fun, the problem being that you're forced to go avenger or tesladin to kill physical immunes and end up using your 'secondary' skills more often than your primary level 29 charge.

If you can live with being underpowered, try blade sentinel, molten boulder [VERY underpowered] or a missionary or mojomancer, using converted or attracted monsters to kill other monsters without lifting a finger himself. :D

FoH is interesting on lightning immune undead, but sort of boring on regular monsters.

Stay away from tornado, poison nova, volcano, hurricane, chain lightning, anything with a timer, and any single target skills in general, because they grow very boring soon.

San

Jul 15, 2004
Finland
Hmm.. Sins are always pretty versatile with their large variety of skills from the differing skill tabs, but tend to be pretty fragile, so they really need some skill to be effective (and not die too much).

And Brother Laz, Poison Nova necros aren't a bit like.. like a Wind druid, since you have the curses, skellys/golems, corpse explosion and bone armour to manage. I at least love my Venomancer :)