• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Lightning Trapsin question

Aug 6, 2005
Phoenix
Lightning Trapsin question

Im using the lightning trapsin build from the Strategy Compendium the PVM build, and I was wondering what stats i should put in. Ive never played an assassin before. I was also wondering is there a better PVM build for an assassin out there? Thank you.

ilkori

May 23, 2004
Pool of Beginnings
Stats are the same for every build (and I believe are mentioned in the guide).

Str- enough for gear
Dex- enough for gear
Vit- everything else
Nrg- base

Zukarius

Jul 25, 2005
Ontario, Canada
xxpunkdrummerxx said:
But my assassin doesnt do any meelee attacks, and relies on her traps and such. Shouldnt i add more NRGY then?

What level is your trapasin?

I just started my first one using the guide and I am at level 11 (not much time to play). I have nothing in energy yet as I have not started to use traps. The guide states to alocate points to energy if you want to, at the expense of your vitality. Ideally it would be nice to make an "Insight" polearm for your merc. For now I am finding a ton of mana pots and using them like crazy.

I will be doing melee attacks until probably level 30 or so when the traps start to get up there...

Jason

Aug 2, 2005
The Abyss
I will tell you that unless you can afford to equip a mercenary with the best items, and probably are willing to sacrifice some skill points to build a sweet-*** Shadow Master as well, there's no point in building a PvM Trapsin. The reason for this is that in hell, about half of all the monsters in the game will be immune to your gear. On the other hand, if you were to make a hybrid where you work some martial arts skills (Tiger Strike and Dragon Talon? Or, just kick?) and use Death Sentry (maxed?) for the corpse explosion ... that would probably kick ***.

But if you really want to just build a trapper, I suggest you get about thirty stat points into strength, have a breast plate enigma ready, and put just enough dexterity to equip your "+3 to traps" claws. As for points into Energy ... unless you've got a pair of SOJs, some frostburns, and a good CTA, you'll always hurt for mana. Just keep pots around though ... it's probably going to be better, in your best interests, to have the extra life rather than the mana.

BIGeyedBUG

Oct 16, 2003
frisco
Visit site
Jason said:
I will tell you that unless you can afford to equip a mercenary with the best items, and probably are willing to sacrifice some skill points to build a sweet-*** Shadow Master as well, there's no point in building a PvM Trapsin. The reason for this is that in hell, about half of all the monsters in the game will be immune to your gear. On the other hand, if you were to make a hybrid where you work some martial arts skills (Tiger Strike and Dragon Talon? Or, just kick?) and use Death Sentry (maxed?) for the corpse explosion ... that would probably kick ***.

I'm not sure where to start.

Lightning trapsins are by far the most powerful PvM Assassin build there is. And they are the least item-dependant. About 1/4 of Hell monsters will be LI, not 1/2, and these are very handily taken care of with Fireblast, Death Sentry, as well as other options. A SM, no matter how sweet-****, is not a reliable source of significant damage on its own. Hybrids are among the more difficult builds to play successfully. And Tiger plus Talon is not a smart combo.

Jason

Aug 2, 2005
The Abyss
So what's the difference between 1/4 and 1/2? In either case, we're talking about a huge portion of monsters a person will face in hell difficulty being immune to your primary attack. That's just bad. Fire blast and death sentry are both unreliable and, while they might rescue you from one or two easy targets (lightning spires in the arcane sanctuary come to mind, in the case of fire blast) they really won't save you at all from major situations. Without some pre-slaughtered corpses, Death Sentry is going to do nothing but spit lightning at your LI targets. And fire blast is weak to begin with, it's slow, it's pathetic for area damage. If you have the time and patience to wrangle a bunch of enemies into a little wad then chuck some fire blasts in the middle, go to it ... I'll stick with an assassin that can handle immunes of any sort.

As for shadow masters being reliable sources of damage ... I have to disagree. Building my most recent assassin, my shadow master walked pretty much all the way through each act of hell right beside my character. Maybe she doesn't hit as hard as I do, but she definitely pulls her weight. Not only does she melee very capably, she will cast things that I haven't bothered to learn, which is super-helpful. Diversity, you know?

As for hybrids being difficult ... maybe you can't walk through the game never seeing the majority of your enemies, but you won't get caught begging for help or breaking yourself trying to kill a dozen monsters with a skill you only know 'cause it's a prerequisite to your real skills. Nobody said hell was supposed to be easy, either. What's the fun in all that?

The simple fact is, you'll run into this problem no matter what you do if you're too focused with your build. Sorceresses that use any less than three different elemental weapon skills run into walls. And you can't always just teleport away, either. When they released the new patch, I went hunting for keys with my meteorb sorc. Didn't take too long to realize that there was no way this character could ever, ever possibly kill the Countess. Not if she's going to come up as Fire immune and Cold immune every time I play. For better or for worse, the same goes for assassins. Trappers can do a lot of things really well -- they're great for PvP if you know what you're doing, and you can MF with them easily too, since none of the act bosses are actually immune to anything. But if you're going to play through the game -- especially solo -- relying on the traps tree will get you a whole lot of damage and a whole lot of enemies who are immune to everything you've got.

You're right, though, Tiger Strike and Dragon Talon is a bad combo -- I meant to say Tiger Strike and Dragon Claw, or (as an alternative to both) kicking, which would be: Dragon Talon.

BIGeyedBUG

Oct 16, 2003
frisco
Visit site
Jason said:
So what's the difference between 1/4 and 1/2?

Oh, I'd say about 1/4. :) Seriously though, some of your comments lead me to think you haven't played a trapper in 1.1 or 1.11. I don't know of a better guide than JRich's that the first post mentioned. Try it. Try it without the enigmas, ctas, sojs you mentioned earlier. Even try it untwinked and hc. And then come back and tell us how weak trappers are. ;)

sawse

Jul 7, 2003
NS, Canada
about fireblast

Jason said:
Fire blast and death sentry are both unreliable and, while they might rescue you from one or two easy targets (lightning spires in the arcane sanctuary come to mind, in the case of fire blast) they really won't save you at all from major situations. Without some pre-slaughtered corpses, Death Sentry is going to do nothing but spit lightning at your LI targets. And fire blast is weak to begin with, it's slow, it's pathetic for area damage. I

I am actually a big fan of fireblast myself. Personally, whenever i run into lightning immunes the first thing I do is whip out mindblast. Then what you are left with is generally some stunned monsters and some non-stunned monsters that are gathered around your merc/sm/converts. Contrary to the graphic displayed in game, fireblast actually has an excellent area of effect (far greater than fireball for reference) and with ias on a nice claw a 9 frame per attack is easy to achieve even when running fade. Fireblast will make several corpses in no time and death sentry then mops up the remainder. It's all very smoth and efficient really. While I wouldn't call myself an expert I have gaurdian'd (hardcore) several trappers some of which were no twink. Ymmv, good luck :)

edit: btw agree that the jrichards guide is a valuable read.

rev129

Nov 17, 2003
All Over
xxpunkdrummerxx said:
Im using the lightning trapsin build from the Strategy Compendium the PVM build, and I was wondering what stats i should put in. Ive never played an assassin before. I was also wondering is there a better PVM build for an assassin out there? Thank you.

That guide IS THE BEST guide. Because it dosn't say something your novice mind wants it to say, you assume it's a bad guide? Follow that guide and you won't go wrong.

rev129

Nov 17, 2003
All Over
Jason said:
I will tell you that unless you can afford to equip a mercenary with the best items, and probably are willing to sacrifice some skill points to build a sweet-*** Shadow Master as well, there's no point in building a PvM Trapsin.

I stopped reading his post right there. He has no clue.

Iuris

Nov 19, 2003
Slovenija
Visit site
So what exactly would be better for PVM?

On hell difficulty, there will be something that's immune to any single character, no matter how hard you try. If you focus on a single damage type to rank up some serious damage, you fail when you get to the 25% of enemies immune to you. Go for two elements, and your killing speed halves. And still you fail when confronted with dual immunes. There is only one character who doesn't care much about immunes - the Necromancer, whose curses allow him to break almost all immunes, and his backup skill (bone, poison, skeleton mages) deal with the rest. They are a bit slow, though.

The lightning Trapassin is rather good for PvM. Lay down five Lightning traps, a shock web at the enemy's feet, and in seconds, non-immunes will be gone. Lightning immunes are to be dealt with Fire blast, which will actually do more damage that lightning sentry (LS 1-3000, FB 2000-3000). If you invested in shadow master, the merc and the SM should give you a good chance to lob Fire blasts in peace.

If the Trapassin is unacceptable for PvM, I do wonder what build would be. Far as I know, only Sorceresses and Hammerdins are better.

yup i followed jrichard's guide for HC ladder on us east...

problems i'm facing with my untwinked trapasion:

1)mana... even though i found a +79 mana ring, i';m sitll having problems with shortage of mana

2)shadow master as a tank... lvl 1 ain't enough... cuz she's untwink, i think i should pump more here...i'm wondering how powerful is SM a tank? lets say as compared to a act 2 merc?

3)i put 5 into fireblast... noticed it did not add dmg to LS, i decided to max DS for its increased CE range... good idea or no?

Bionic

Mar 27, 2004
Im having A LOT of problems with lightning immune monsters in Hell. The start of the new season means I dont have good gear for my trapper. Ive maxed LS, DS, CBS and I have 19 on Shock Web. My merc and lvl 3 SM help but they both die a lot. If they kill one of the immune monsters I spam DS and use Cloak often, that usually takes care of a small pack. I run away if I get swarmed by more than 8 monsters. I try and help with my kicks but I have low damage boots and get nothing done. Pure traps are can be tough but the same was said about a sorc, what is a blizz sorc going to do again a cold imune? Tele the F.O.

Razim

Aug 4, 2005
Iuris said:
If the Trapassin is unacceptable for PvM, I do wonder what build would be. Far as I know, only Sorceresses and Hammerdins are better.

And Javazons of course, my favorite character besides assassins. :cool:

But I agree that trapsins are very well suited for PvM indeed, although LI monsters will significantly slow you down. Also, killing act bosses can take a little bit of patience sometimes. Personally I don't really like assassins (or any other type of character for that matter) who are only good at one thing, so a pure trapper is definitely not made for me. She needs to be proficient in all three skill trees to feel like a 'complete' assassin to me. :)

zapotek

Aug 6, 2005
Sweden
MadWereWolfBoy said:
2)shadow master as a tank... lvl 1 ain't enough... cuz she's untwink, i think i should pump more here...i'm wondering how powerful is SM a tank? lets say as compared to a act 2 merc?

3)i put 5 into fireblast... noticed it did not add dmg to LS, i decided to max DS for its increased CE range... good idea or no?

If you are using your trappsin for mf soloing I think putting more then one point in shadow master is a waste. You will need those skillpoints in order to build up a good fireblast damage so you can deal two forms of elemental damage.
Regarding the Shadow master, If you reasonably fast fingers and good custom hotkey setup a strong shadow is more a convinience then a requirement really. I run a trapper right now on hcladder who I use for mfing. Her shadow is really weak only lvl1 befor the +skill from my claws but recasting her is not something I think is to tedious. If you are using F keys I could however see how it could be a big problem since they are so ahrd to reach and switch between. Reason I bring it up is because I know many players who even after years of playing this game still use default key settings. I suggest using Q,W,E,A,S,D,X,C for skills which makes it very easy to switch fast.